1 (edited by Celebro 2012-12-10 15:34:26)

Topic: Game's passivity is a problem

This is an aspect that should be addressed though not convenient to most it is sometimes the main reason it keeps many players from logging in, and get active.

EP accumlation:

I really like the time based skill system, though there is really no incentive to log in. I wouldn't like the Eve system either, but there should be rewards for players who keep active. Subs are well and good, but if they are not logging in they don't provide the activity urgently needed.

MPC system:

Once setup no actual input or work is required to maintain. The energy just keeps flowing from the reactor out of thin air. There needs to be resource in place to keep those structures going with some player input or work, if not they will shut down, cease to work and other players can just take over your base.

Balance these out well should make people get more active and actually give them reasons to log, other than just amassing wealth.

RIP PERPETUUM

Re: Game's passivity is a problem

When you need rewards to log in, something is wrong with the game. So no! The EP System is ok, its not the problem.

GERMAN ROBOTECH INDUSTRIES
| high tech engineering since 2010 | Website

Laserkraft wrote:

When you need rewards to log in, something is wrong with the game. So no! The EP System is ok, its not the problem.

+1

I don't believe Celebro means actual rewards for logging in, but a reason the player needs to login frequently, for instance the Noralgis plantation owner that must login regularly to harvest the crop, there should be some form of penalty for not logging in - e.g. the nora doesn't get harvested and is lost as the plants die, like STeve where not logging in and filling the training queue wastes training time.

Some form of mild penalty for not logging in, whether character based, corp based or whatever, would help to drive up the on-line population - even if just amongst the subbed players.

5 (edited by Celebro 2012-12-10 15:18:53)

Lupus Caeli wrote:

I don't believe Celebro means actual rewards for logging in, but a reason the player needs to login frequently, for instance the Noralgis plantation owner that must login regularly to harvest the crop, there should be some form of penalty for not logging in - e.g. the nora doesn't get harvested and is lost as the plants die, like STeve where not logging in and filling the training queue wastes training time.

Some form of mild penalty for not logging in, whether character based, corp based or whatever, would help to drive up the on-line population - even if just amongst the subbed players.

Yes, correct I don't want an endless grind to get EP or make MPC maintenance a second job. A random daily EP boost for those active on terrain. Where a small window appears saying ' The syndicate has awarded you 1.5x boost for 2 hours, please accept you have 5 minutes to comply' could make a neat idea and can be missed by players afk.

RIP PERPETUUM

I think we need daily doubles every week. Today ratting will drop you 2X kernels and plasma, next week it might be double efficiency on titanium mining etc. Easy to code and gives people a reason to log in. Also makes the game look full on once a week.

I think we need an ability to choose that boost, otherwise, says, a combat guy will log in, get a titan mining boost and become very sad.

So here is what I think: Syndicate Shop. Grind tokens to buy that boost you like. Make boosts tradeable at least via direct trading - market isn't necessary. So as a result, your combat char will be able to grind and buy, says, a booster to increase plasma/kernel outcome, and another one - to increase kernel research efficiency for his indy alt.

reward for logging in should be "fun", that start the moment you undock. And for the sake of the whole perma-loss penalty of your robot - even in losing your stuff there needs to be fun beforehand.

and no, its not fun to undock walk a half across the island to an npc spawn, grind them, and then getting killed by two passing PvP player that ECM, Neut and Demob you, or simply kill you in one volley before you have even noticed them during your macro npc grind.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

structures (bases) should need a fuel just like POS in stEVE not as complex as POS with what 7-8 different mats but something that will be easy to get in the area around the structure (titan and plasma or Liquizt and plasma).

I can here the Bears crying now.... But Khader we only mine in unsafe places for high end ore. Or crap the devs have some lust about putting noralgis in to every item above a t2 why not make noralgis go in to the fuel tank of the station to keep the lights running.

This alone will only make the Gamma owners log in every few days to gather a few mats, what about Beta? Alarm clock Saps are still happening!

Participate, Congratulate cause everything else will be seen as HATE.
Max yellow max all skills lvl 10 min max for the win

Khader Khan wrote:

structures (bases) should need a fuel just like POS in stEVE not as complex as POS with what 7-8 different mats but something that will be easy to get in the area around the structure (titan and plasma or Liquizt and plasma).

I can here the Bears crying now.... But Khader we only mine in unsafe places for high end ore. Or crap the devs have some lust about putting noralgis in to every item above a t2 why not make noralgis go in to the fuel tank of the station to keep the lights running.

This alone will only make the Gamma owners log in every few days to gather a few mats, what about Beta? Alarm clock Saps are still happening!

that's not "fun", that's "even more work to *** the players out of this game"

11 (edited by Celebro 2012-12-10 20:09:40)

Annihilator wrote:

reward for logging in should be "fun", that start the moment you undock. And for the sake of the whole perma-loss penalty of your robot - even in losing your stuff there needs to be fun beforehand.

and no, its not fun to undock walk a half across the island to an npc spawn, grind them, and then getting killed by two passing PvP player that ECM, Neut and Demob you, or simply kill you in one volley before you have even noticed them during your macro npc grind.

You should stay in alpha then. tongue

Rewards should be fun? hmm let me think fun is rather subjective, and if it was too much fun then everyone would be doing it and getting the same rewards, then what, who is going to trade items that everyone has? Just asking for players that sub to actually play the game, rather than 'I'll wait for more players, then I will play'. While maybe they are waiting for you to actually play, so they can join.

RIP PERPETUUM

The ONLY good point that I really like in this, is the MPC's requiring ZERO inputs.   

They should require power of some sort to keep them running.

As for the character problem...this isn't a problem.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Celebro wrote:

You should stay in alpha then. tongue

Rewards should be fun? hmm let me think fun is rather subjective, and if it was too much fun then everyone would be doing it and getting the same rewards, then what, who is going to trade items that everyone has? Just asking for players that sub to actually play the game, rather than 'I'll wait for more players, then I will play'. While maybe they are waiting for you to actually play, so they can join.

hey, i will change my workplace if the work there isn't "fun" anymore. How do you expect someone to pay for a game that is no fun? Sure there are different kinds of tastes - but a massive multiplayer online game should contain fun for a little bigger audience then 100 people world wide. if you think about it - thats barely enough to make a non-mmo multiplayer map enjoyable.

so if you experience only boringness and "learn two play" comments within your two week long trail phase, will you sub?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I login because I like spending time playing with my friends.  It is pretty fun.

Gunner wrote:

I login because I like spending time playing with my friends.  It is pretty fun.

Still more fun to invite your friends IRL and buy some beer on that $10. Well, yet.

16 (edited by Tux 2012-12-12 18:46:44)

I would seriously question any mechanic that made it so players had to actively input components in to the MPC’s. The current design is not perfect but it works well. I think trying to force people to log in just to do some daily chore is not the correct direction to head in.

I think the best thing to do currently is to wait and see what the DEV’s release in the upcoming “expansion”..I’m calling it an expansion now because it has to be huge to warrant this long of a delay.

I never run out of things to do in this game … but I guess thats just me

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.