51 (edited by Indiko 2012-12-06 21:56:31)

Re: Poll: Squad assignments

DEV Zoom wrote:

Indiko: they can do it up until the 6/10 rule, but yeah I tend to agree with you on the same patch deployment.

There are many missions that have the same objectives, the 6/10 rule can easily be avoided. smile

What could be an alternative to consider is lower the NIC rewards on current missions, but improve inventory of the syndicate store with things people would want to buy with tokens.

This could potentially improve the population on BETA 1 islands that might lead to more pvp etc

EDIT: Actually nm the above suggestion, the potential of it being exploited outweight the benefit unless additional changes comes with it.

Merkle wrote:

As it stands now missions are crazy easy, and there rewards (based on a time of completion) are imbalanced.

QFT. This has needed balancing since Day 1.

Merkle wrote:

If others have the mission they can DO the mission but it will be at a separate location.  (EI: The higher level Missions SPAWN, as in Eve they have there mission system down pat.)

I thought about how to do this once but wasn't sure whether it would be possible. Generating terrain is quick and easy - fractals with certain parameters and a random element and its done. Zoom has already told us so. The hard work comes in placing structures and tweaking the terrain to make it playable. So, generate a good number of small assignment islands (256x256 - maybe a bit larger). A good number purely for variety.

An assignment object is now created and one of its properties is "island". All the expensive information (data-wise) like the terrain, textures and structure models is stored on the client and only data relating to that particular instance of the assignment object has to be sent over the network.

Access the assignment using a special interzone tele to get where you need to go - as far as the server is concerned it is not an island being accessed but an assignment object - if the assignment doesn't exist anymore you simply can't get there.

This way as many players/squads as you want can be doing the same assignment on the same island without tripping over one another.

so in short - instances?

Arjha Shanoo wrote:

so in short - instances?

Short and sweet big_smile

Have to be careful with instances, and how they are done has various definitions, but what i like how to implement instances, is for other players are able to access by scanning to leave the sandbox and persistence of the game intact.

RIP PERPETUUM

55 (edited by Ludlow Bursar 2012-12-06 22:30:24)

Celebro wrote:
Arjha Shanoo wrote:

so in short - instances?

Short and sweet big_smile

Have to be careful with instances, and how they are done has various definitions, but what i like how to implement instances, is for other players are able to access by scanning to leave the sandbox and persistence of the game intact.

Agreed. It would be *** if assignments took place only in instances and if there wasn't a way to access other players instances.

[EDIT] LOL at what the profanity filter starred out.

Aye, back to an Eve system I guess tongue
I know tried and tested never fails big_smile

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS DO NOT RE-INVENT THE WHEEL HERE!

This was basically my point, yes we like new ideas but what Eve (the basics now) does is perfect in a mission sense.

However Eve uses a instance based approach.  (Warping into a point in space, yes you can probe down the site and grief them, this is a GOOD thing.)

If the DEV's can come up with a way to incorporate this mission strat. into Perp they will have a successful mission system.  Having a "safe" place to mission to call your mission is a good thing, and as well having a way to kill and grief the missioners is a good thing as well.  As the trade off is it requires effort on the griefer.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Merkle wrote:

This was basically my point, yes we like new ideas but what Eve (the basics now) does is perfect in a mission sense.

However Eve uses a instance based approach.  (Warping into a point in space, yes you can probe down the site and grief them, this is a GOOD thing.)

If the DEV's can come up with a way to incorporate this mission strat. into Perp they will have a successful mission system.  Having a "safe" place to mission to call your mission is a good thing, and as well having a way to kill and grief the missioners is a good thing as well.  As the trade off is it requires effort on the griefer.

Been busy and this is 1st and only post I've read in thread. I've wondered long time if it could possible to have both instanced mission and way to grief that mission (insert drawbacks).

That said, having read nothing else

+1

Sparking to other games

Rex: actually the topic isn't about instanced missions smile

59 (edited by Celebro 2012-12-06 23:38:14)

Merkle wrote:

Only thing that comes close in Perp is the distress beacons, but they haven't really tried to milk it's true potential. Great idea that has not been capitalized.

Merge distress beacons in an array of ways with different missions. Random beacons?

RIP PERPETUUM

I'm sorry for getting this topic, well, off topic.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

61 (edited by Hunter 2012-12-07 03:06:18)

There is so much posts. I like the interest of both factions - developers and players..

Of course i have my own point:
1. Should be able 2 features:
a) Each member takes the assignment and stands in line. If there are enough ppl in squad to start assignment, sends invitation for participating. If everyone takes it - automaticaly forms the squad to begin.
b) Squad leader (secondary leader) takes assignment and everyone should confirm participating. If there are enough confirmed ppl, assignment starts as well.
2. Squads must be strictly limited or it should be senselessly to make big ones (example: too small reward or limited loot). By my expirience: Game is a game. There should be losts not only wins. So assignments performing should be harder than simple scan/mining the ores near beta outpost (with following 1mil reward)
3. Should be the voting feature. After forming the squad and before start, squad members would be can to vote against 1-2 ppl (bad guys with bad reputations) for replacing. This is very important feature. Because of everyone will be able approve an assignment but not participate (sometimes even interfere).

P.S. It may be hard to realize 1-a and 3 paragraph. 1-b and 2 must be anyway.

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

Jesus Christ, here's the way to simulate instances WITHOUT any serious development:

• On the assignment (random one of the specific level, that's important), you should get to the Ass-Port Station (Assignment Teleport) which should be placed on each Alpha Island

• Activating a trigger by one of the squadmates (with all the limitations, new squad systems and all) will teleport every partipicant to a random place on a random (or not that random) Beta or Gamma Island

• There will be all the things you need to do on the assignment

• After assignment is completed, you can exit the island by usual way OR you can use special teleport beacon to get back to the Ass-Port Station (teleport beacon can/should have some restrictions like power-up timer)

What will we get:

• A possibility to access and complete some high-level assignments on hostile islands

• A possibility to find and kill such assignment partipicants (this can be eased if necessary with pop-up for everyone on that island like "Ass-Port Jump detected")

• No need to actually develop an instances

Optionally, we can have some Delta Islands for such assignments, but then we need some kind of free access there via jumpgates, and an additional reason to be there if not on assignment.

63 (edited by Annihilator 2012-12-07 12:42:32)

my suggestion where given CRM more then a year ago in written form, and i talked with him personally about it.

perhaps i will quote it down here again later, after the initial two choices seem to not incorporate a single bit of my suggestions.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

btw i would like to perform hardcore instance assignments. We already have another kinds.

Why the crybabies wins?

With respect to the original topic:

I like the community as well as the ability to share intelligence and attack, defend in common with other corps. that is afforded by a large squad.  In addition, given the current state of the game population, further fragmentation caused by small squads would make the world seem even more empty.

On the other hand, dropping in and out of the big squad when creating small special purpose task forces gets tiresome.  Further, large squads currently make joint missions a joke for reasons stated above by others. 

There is a need and a use both for small and large squads.  As at least one person has stated above, I'd like to see a squad hierarchy implemented.  The large squad, might have 50 members.  Any of these members could form a sub-squad of 5 or so people for mission running.   The sub-squads would inherit from the squad in that a member of a sub-squad would still be able to see large squad chat, share large squad teleports, etc...  The large squad would not inherit from the sub-squad in that only members of the sub-squad could be part of an accepted mission and members of the larger squad could not see the sub-squad's chat channel.  If that's is what your proposing by option 2, then cast my vote there.

Regards,

SPoT

translation:
where the hell is the alliance feature?
current squads are used 99% alliance squads. multiple squad leader was a bandaid fix.

The main question i have with this whole topic:
What are squad missions? Are you really finally working on the Random mission generator?
Missions that need more then one player to compete (and not only because you have to recover loot from some 5th star npcs that is 50U in size)

Some aspects of those two suggestions really screaming: RAID INSTANCES.

... ok, im back in firefall, with its nice world events -> random mission targets you stumble upon while running around. (and the grind of more then 5000 Aranhas yesterday was FUN!)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Can we back up just a bit....I do not really want "Raid Instances".  I want missions that are "safe" but CAN be found and grief'ed.

A Alliance feature still isn't a high priority.  However, another Upgrade of the squad system would be a good direction.  More options, ect ect.

Random Mission Generator isn't a bad idea.  I see this idea having a good potential. 

What I would suggest is to not make missions around a squad, but to make missions extreamly hard so players have the option of grouping if they want, or to solo them if possible (and trust me just because its hard on day one for one person, in a month it will be a breeze for that one person).

What I'm trying to say here is, on day one missions are hard, in 30 more days they are extreamly easy.

Make them hard!!!!  And then, step back and make them even harder!!!

(Scaled with the Lvl of missions of course.)

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Merkle wrote:

Argee that instances should be greifable.

Make the interzone beacon used to travel to instance hackable (a head or leg module?). Meaning mission runners will need to find a good place to hide their beacons used to travel to mission or have a second squad of PVP ready people guarding the beacon. Hacking a beacon will flag you on alpha side and once hacked (1 min?) you will be teleported to the instance unable to TP back while flagged.(similar to beta rules of engagement free fire but flag prevents your jumping out).
With those parameters the Squad in the instance will have the advantage as all bots coming through the beacon via hack will be flagged and will be -1 PVP module due to haveing a hacking module.

Just a thought to balance/ sandbox it if instances were used.

Participate, Congratulate cause everything else will be seen as HATE.
Max yellow max all skills lvl 10 min max for the win

I have to say that not all people want PvP engaging everywhere. The game should satisfy everyone.

Why the crybabies wins?

Khader Khan wrote:
Merkle wrote:

Argee that instances should be greifable.

Make the interzone beacon used to travel to instance hackable (a head or leg module?). Meaning mission runners will need to find a good place to hide their beacons used to travel to mission or have a second squad of PVP ready people guarding the beacon. Hacking a beacon will flag you on alpha side and once hacked (1 min?) you will be teleported to the instance unable to TP back while flagged.(similar to beta rules of engagement free fire but flag prevents your jumping out).
With those parameters the Squad in the instance will have the advantage as all bots coming through the beacon via hack will be flagged and will be -1 PVP module due to haveing a hacking module.

Just a thought to balance/ sandbox it if instances were used.

Well this is not the griefing that I had in mind...Alpha based shouldn't have the chance to kill or shoot actual players but rather just do the mission : )

Beta and Gamma have at it.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13