Topic: Cause of the intrusion crashes?

I was just thinking over the events of the Abbuthilia intrusion event and I think I may have an idea why there were problems and crashes for 1 side and not for another.

Everyone on the defending side went to the passive hacking spot before the intrusion event started.  When it started, everyone in the group was inside the sap point so all of their timers would have started at the exact same time.

When we were capturing Nauwy, I saw that both of the people standing on the passive hacking was shown in the intrusion info, so that might mean that there was a good 60+ listed on the Abbu intrusion event all ticking their own timers.

Now, the opposing force attacked just before the passive hacking was secured.  Once the hacking finished, at least half of the defenders crashed or lagged out.  I think that there was a ton of spam happening when everyone in the group finished the passive hacking at the exact same time.  When the game doesnt get a reply from the server when it expects to it generally crashes.   This might explain why the opposing force didnt see any problems other than the usual lag spikes, memory leak crashes, and over all poor performance with so many people.

Hope we can get this problem figured out before it happens again during another important encounter.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

Re: Cause of the intrusion crashes?

Agreed this was definitely one of my first thoughts and could be a cause of the issue. Everyone likes a fight noone likes getting their pistol stuck in the holster. (Exclude carebears)

Not only that.

I am much more worried what will happen when more and more people want to try out this game.

We are already facing huge lagspikes pretty frequently with just 500-600 concurrent users (we had a couple ones again last night).

The 6 Islands (3 Alpha and 3 Beta) with just a handful of outposts won't be able to handle much more players as how it currently is.

We already seeing the noob areas being permanently camped by Kernel farmers. Preventing new players from completing combat assignments.

Not to mention that the mining activities are rapidly increasing. I see more and more Industrial Mechs each day. So that soon enough, it will be extremely hard to even complete mining assignments.

With 2010 being a horrible dissapointing year of MMO releases. PO is being nominated on various gaming sites (as so it seems).
So it's not unlikely they might get awarded on at least one of them.

The result will be that within the coming weeks, they might suddenly be faced with a couple thousand new players at their doorstep wanting to try out the game.

As quick, very short term financial gain, it's great for them.

But having the server crash from beneath their feet, not being able to cope with the increased population. It will be a total PR dissaster.

So I would like to know how they are preparing for this and how they think they will be able to handle a sudden peak of players ?

Do they have more Alpha and Beta Isles at hand? So they can expand the current small game world rapidly?

Or are they going for a more conventional multi-server model and start firing up more servers?

Plenty of room out here on the beta islands tongue

Hey,

Below is taken from a post by Dev BoyC,

"Game stability (both client and server side) is our highest priority at the moment. We want to ensure a smooth experience for everyone which we can later build on."

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … layer-pvp/

Hope that helps rest any worries you have smile

~GM Techbridge

We have been Nominated for GAME OF THE YEAR on
http://www.mmorpg-center.com/mmorpg-cen … ice-awards