Topic: Client crashes in ~150 player PvP

The biggest PvP fight since the start of the development occurred earlier today with about 150 players taking part in an intrusion event. A previously unknown client problem caused several of the players clients to crash, mostly on the defending side - at this moment we think that time spent on the terrain without teleporting or relogging might be a factor in the client problem. We'd like to ask everyone who had their client crash during the event and didn't send the crash dumps in already to gather their crash logs (.dmp files next to the client) and send them to crash [at] perpetuum-online [dot] com, so we can analyse and fix the problem asap.
Also, to dispel any rumors: our policy is not to reimburse losses coming from PvP interaction, and as such no losses were reimbursed from this event either.

Re: Client crashes in ~150 player PvP

Glad to see dev support in regards to this issue earlier today. Kudos!

Send in your crash logs people!!!

"What would you attempt to do if you knew that you could not fail?"

Game stability (both client and server side) is our highest priority at the moment. We want to ensure a smooth experience for everyone which we can later build on.

glad i can email it, the ftp server wasnt taking it earlier

Endehr wrote:

glad i can email it, the ftp server wasnt taking it earlier

Probably because of the number of connections that happened at the same time.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

Here is hoping folks who crashed pass on their logs,

Why can't the client check the crash file on log in, then auto upload, maybe flash up a box asking permission to upload the data ?

It does normally ask to upload the crash data.  I would imagine most closed that prompt to try to get back in game asap to try to survive the fight.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

What's happened in other games is the number of range calculations got so high that the memory couldn't handle it. 150+ objects all getting distance calculations from each other might be too much for todays computers. Other games couldn't solve the problem, so they came up with population limited battlegrounds.

I wonder why the **** you never post important stuff in the announcement forum as more people might see it?

"Announcements, discussions, anything about and FROM THE DEVELOPERS."

Lege wrote:

What's happened in other games is the number of range calculations got so high that the memory couldn't handle it. 150+ objects all getting distance calculations from each other might be too much for todays computers. Other games couldn't solve the problem, so they came up with population limited battlegrounds.

If this is indeed the case, then it might be best to implement some sort of fog of war that limits data input.

Here's what I mean:

If more than X robots are within your detection and ranging radius, switch modes to a fog or war mode.

Fog of war mode would only tell you the precise distance between you and anyone targeting you, or anyone you have targeted.  Everyone else would be an approximation.  Zero range, short range, medium range, long range, extreme range.

Ranges could then be refreshed occasionally rather than continuously, and ranges would be based on each individual ship's targeting range.

This would add a lot more realism to larger group PVP, and reduce the server / client range calculation issues as well.

Faster mechs might be able to move far enough that you might not see where they went - provided they were not in an engagement with you.

Perhaps allow mechs two size classes larger than other mechs to mask signatures, letting an aske hide under an assault class robot.  This would immediately be revealed by targeting the assault mech and isolating it's signature.

I could really see the fog of war adding a LOT to PVP combat.

Lege wrote:

That would be collisions, and one of the main reasons why Perpetuum doesn't have collisions. However we do have some ideas in mind to discourage blob warfare, and make it a lot more tactical.

I was in it but never crashed I was just hit with the worst ping possible and couldnt play. Sat on N/A pretty much the whole time and my bot would keep warping back to where i was 10 seconds or so. Sucks hard playing from New Zealand

14 (edited by Capleton 2010-12-06 00:06:35)

Dev BoyC wrote:

However we do have some ideas in mind to discourage blob warfare, and make it a lot more tactical.

I cant wait to see what are your plans in that matter, as the only 2 paths so far in the industry were :

instances, instances, instances....
Versus
Lagfest, lagfest, lagfest....

Dev BoyC wrote:

A previously unknown client problem caused several of the players clients to crash, mostly on the defending side - at this moment we think that time spent on the terrain without teleporting or relogging might be a factor in the client problem.

I was there, on the defending side, and didnt crash during the fight. I did however crash about 10 minutes before the fight and had to restart my client.

I crashed both before and during the fight.

Also, I sent my logs in to the address you specified and it bounced back to me, 'rejected by the recipient domain.'

17 (edited by OoBeR 2010-12-07 06:33:51)

I was logged in to the terrain for about an hour prior to the fight. I had docked and redeployed about an hour before the 2 forces met. Didn't crash during the fight but i was only able to lock one target. Even enemy bots that were listed as 10m from me were not locking after the first. 2-3 minutes of trying to lock people ended when i suddenly went from full armor to the explosion graphic in a split second. Never noticed anyone locking me either.

Here is hoping the Devs resolve issues one way or the other so PvP can be fun on a large scale.

i sent my crash reports, but it bounced back to me, 'rejected by the recipient domain.'

Thanks for the notice.

Yeah we know. M2S and all of it's allies were crashed out. It was unfair. We know:D

shush adolf

Sednal wrote:

shush adolf

I lol'd