Topic: Weapon

What do you think? Which weapon(cannons, lasers, magnetic) is better? And why?
For me cannons is better. No real difference in distance, DMG modifier is good, less PAW and CPU, and Ammo can cover different types of DMG. Unfortunately there are no robots with bonus for that weapon.

Re: Weapon

This is a guide section, not a discusion section realy. unless you going to use the outcome to build a reference scheet?..

anyway. cannons no range difference? .. a call a 77 or 100-20 optimal range a big difference  , fall off might be the same but did you think about its damage decrease and miss chance? 

there is only one reason to use any form of firearms. thats if your planning to use Ewar bots.

Lets see if this turns out into a Guide or not.

Please dont underestimate the Firearms. While there is no bot or mech with a significant Bonus for them, they will still profit from every other Bonus the Turret-Robots offer them.

Their high rate of fire makes good use of the Critical Hit chance of Thelodica bots/mechs, and their alrady high falloff works great together with the Nuimquol Falloff-bonus.

If you compare Firarms DPS with Laser or EM-Gun DPS of the at the same extension lvls, the Firarms do equal DPS with less Extensionpoints used until you get past lvl5 Basic/Advanced Robotics.

You also have to compare small ACs with medium ACs - the smalls are ultra-short range, but the medium ones offer the same range as other turrets -> while they dont need as much CPU/Reactor or accumulator.

The Main disadvantage of Firarms is their MASS, which makes you slow when using them.

Good information about Auto-cannons here, thank you for your input.

5 (edited by Lamor 2010-12-08 00:24:24)

Ketjup wrote:

anyway. cannons no range difference? .. a call a 77 or 100-20 optimal range a big difference  ,

Well, I don't see any "big" difference. Not even small smile Take EVE-online. The difference between 70 km and 100 km optimal is a difference, because you have to cover that distance and this takes time. You have to maintain that distance and it is also not easy because maneuvers take time also. So it is a game between you and your enemy. In the Perpetuum 30 meters is not a distance. It can be covered in couple of seconds. If I have 70 optimal and you have 100, and we will try to keep our optimals, we will be dancing within those two distances. So there will be no real difference. Few seconds on your optimal, few seconds on mine. Off and on.

The difference about couple of hundred meters would be more interesting smile And by the way more realistic.
What is the optimal range 70 meters? It's not a cannon. It is not even a gun. It's like a small pistol smile
I think, with given robot's speeds, would be more logical make cannons 200, magnetic 400, lasers 600. It's a roughly speaking. I'm not proposing exact numbers and proportions, but something like that.
It would be more interesting and in a way to using landschaft. I.e. lasers are long, but hard to use them on non flat surface.

Yes, and we also must have options to make bigger game interface and fonts smile

6 (edited by Rumpathumpa 2010-12-10 04:30:26)

Lamor wrote:

What do you think? Which weapon(cannons, lasers, magnetic) is better? And why?
For me cannons is better. No real difference in distance, DMG modifier is good, less PAW and CPU, and Ammo can cover different types of DMG. Unfortunately there are no robots with bonus for that weapon.

Mags and guns are the best easy (guns have range issues but, with los in thsi game its not that big of a deal) Mags still have rather high ap cost but its live able becuase of the slower rof than lasers.

Lasers i would rate the worst (while they do more damage than missiles, they cost so much AP that you cannot run an armor repairer and lasers at the same time, effectively making you have to kill them b4 they kill you.) To make lasers viable they should double the damage mods and double the rate of fire from 4 sec to 8 sec [or something similar to this]. The dps should bb the same but it would allow them to actually repair armor. I cannot see lasers working in pvp when you can drain the enemy.
Tho i have to admit this seems to be less of a problem at mech level, where the AT mech gets 3k AP.

Missiles have low damage (only becuase of the very low rate of fire, people say the missile abilities are the weakest but that is only becuase they do not understand that 3% of 14 > 5% of 4, same with damage). Also missile bots are the easiest to run heavy AP costing equipment (like Armor reps etc.) making them effective tanks . Also missle show over hilsl which IS a MASSIVE bonus.

Lasers are effective in PvE for kiting. LoS can screw them up, but this is MMO AI we're talking about - it isn't hard to engineer a situation where you'll always have LoS.

Walk toward the AI to make it walk back, then walk back to break its target lock, keeping it in roughly the same spot. Repeat until dead. They never get a target lock on you, so you don't even need an armor rep.

That said I don't see what their use is in PvP. Most players aren't as stupid as the AI. They have the lowest mass and longest range, which would make them good for kiting still. Even if you don't have LoS you're faster so you can run until you do.

I changed to firearms myself.

lasers are awesome if you have ewar bots.

they will never lock you, you lock from miles, and you nuke till they die.

missiles are obviously the best when it comes to the big boys, but they are still some way off, but maybe you should start invest EP in the appropriate extensions.

EM guns are a nice go between.  When you pick the right slugs, they can do a'lot of dmg, as not many bots are resistent to the array of slugs on offer.

assault guns are good for close combat, and cheap to run.

have fun choosing what you want, but its more about your own style, than any particular weapon type.

<try and try again>

~M~

In the echelons of human history, legend spoke of the Messiah, who would lead the lost, from the darkness, into the light...

~Don't say you weren't warned~

the islands are simply too small for optimal range of 200-300m how big would the locking range be, aggro range of npcs? you wouldn't be able to move without having a train on you

Bullis wrote:

the islands are simply too small for optimal range of 200-300m how big would the locking range be, aggro range of npcs? you wouldn't be able to move without having a train on you

sorry, i didnt get that one... neutral

Forum Rule #5
Pyramid quoting, quoting excessive amounts of text or quoting without any senseful reply is forbidden. Only quote that is necessary to show what your reply refers to.

Every weapon has range and dmg type. Every dmg type has armor hardeners to resist that dmg. There is no really uber weapon that is better than other 3 types. Every weapon type has its advantages but also its disadvantages. So in the end its really about your preferences. If you just chose a weapon that someone says is uber - you may be soon dissapointed when you realize that you can't do as much damage as 'uber weapon' supposed to.

I have some questions, the combat log is not descriptive enough to answer them.
Perhaps you can help me to understand better big_smile

1 - About chemical/kinetic/seismic/thermal damages modifiers
How "strong resistance" against one of these does reduces recieved damages ?
Same question about weakness.

I am a missile user and try to choose adapted ammunitions when doing PvE assignements.
I wrote an exel sheet giving a factor 1 to chemical, 2 to weakness and 0.5 to strong resistance.
Then sum these modified damages for the various missiles against the three factions.
I am far for sure to be right tongue

2 - Passive resistance
Do an armor plate bringing passive resistance will modify the damage input ?
A 25% resist against thermal damage will decrease the thermal damage recieved by 25% ?

Thanks in advance big_smile

About Resistance Mechanics

Forum Rule #5
Pyramid quoting, quoting excessive amounts of text or quoting without any senseful reply is forbidden. Only quote that is necessary to show what your reply refers to.