Topic: Tournament 2012?

So last year we had a tournament with much fun had by all.... most of all CHAOS tongue But im wondering if we will be having it again this year? It feel it would be yet another good way to show off the games PVP its self like the EVE tournament does for that game.

But i do think last year had a few issues that would need to be looked at.

For me there are 3 things that could do with a think about.

1. Point system.
2. Map layout.
3. Live stream broadcast.

1. Point System.
Now lets be honest seeing explosions & bots go boom is more fun than watching a bunch of shield tanked tyrranos fight it out lol. Last year we had some good games but we also had so very long & boring games.
The best fights i think were the ones that had lots of people in assaults & a few mech / Hmech big_smile

Im not going to put forth any ideas about how / what mechs should have what points im not good with that but maybe some one else has a good idea.

2. Map Layout.
The arena looks awesome it really does. The problem is the outer 2 rings. We ended up with  most fights going on out there & TBH it did get a little ZZZ. I think if the outer rings were divided up into "Quarters" or halves so that people can still get distance if they wish but flanking becomes a real concern.
Also down in the middle area some more structures would be good to allow for some fun short range fights.

3. Live stream broadcast.
Last years live stream was "ok" but the lack of being able to see players health bar was a problem (fixed towards the end of the tourny) Also having good commentators is key. most were good tho tongue
Another thing recommend is more interviews between matches. Interviewing some of the FCs from the tourny & personalities of game would be fun to see big_smile
Also having 2 teams of commentators  could be a good idea as it splits up the work load & helps keep the commenting fresh & lively.

One last thing i just thought of is Match time. was it 30mins last time? if so thats to long. 15-20 mins feels much better. shrinking map size can help push games along a bit more with out giving up to many combat options.

Any way those are just a few thoughts i had. Ide really like to see this again. But please guys throw up your thoughts & ideas maybe who knows .... the DEVs might listen ... tongue <3

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Re: Tournament 2012?

hmm this might be in the wrong section of the forums -_-

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

+1

Apart from Live Streaming, I would also like to see these Matches Edited, and placed onto Perpetuum's Official YouTube Page. Not only will that help the players who are not able to watch the Live Stream, or be a part of the Event itself, but get there Name out abit more on as being a Company that likes to be involved, and does Events that can be enjoyed by all.

turrets should be placed around the arena. if the match isnt over after 20 mins .... they get activated big_smile
on a more serious note ... 30 mins is way too long. formulating a strategy, and dancing around can all be done in 20 mins too.

make this happen, devs.

5 (edited by Lolpus 2012-09-20 03:48:06)

I bring you a MAP!

30-45min Match timers i am a fan of.

I do think the point system needs a little review but not to much, simply allow for a little more wiggle room.

To address the lack of action and to if you will "Force the action" You can modify the rules to have a object at each base that if returned to your base is worth a win or say number of points like a bot is.

A full wipe of a team is a win however in the event of a runner or what have you the object allows a player to say gain that point advantage as a assault who cant catch a light e-war if he were to capture it. To prevent players from abusing this and running speed teams you could make it so that it doubles the value of the surviving bots at the end of the match for each team.  (Again back to the point amounts to balance this in to working).

Alternative:

Shorten match time to 15mins make it best 3/5 match's with 8min intervals between rounds.

I would allow player swaps within a roster so that younger players can adapt there team on the fly to address certain teams. As well as allow for players to have more of a gun hoe attitude as that 1 single loss will knock you out.

Just spit balling some ideas here.

On the Map:

just a idea for a balanced map that allows for all styles of play to be fielded and used to keep it as dynamic as possible.

Size is a big concern and related to the match time limit i believe as well so scale is up for debate.

P.S. Stole map and edited with paint big_smile

Also, I'd like to see a DEV Team on the arena this time, maybe on some prototype bots we didn't seen even, as a final bosses, and let that prototype bots be a reward smile

Make it happen !!! we need a yearly Tournament .. its something to look forward to and give Corps / players some much needed Competition.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

And presents I'm low on t4

4. Nice broadcasters big_smile

at least one comentator who know all bots, modules and some game mechanics, and especially the tournament rules... (the whinatory fail-round... )

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

The intention from our part is certainly there - that's all I can say right now. If we do it, we certainly want to do it better / more exciting / less error-prone than last year. (Not that it was bad last year of course, but as I wrote then, there's certainly room for more.)

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us