1 (edited by mqx 2012-09-10 14:18:19)

Topic: Terraforming with buildings

I'd like an official and public ruling on this 'mechanic' here, please.

Edit (as full disclosure seems to be ok):
CHAOS introduced us to a new technique yesterday. They attacked the nebs base with a large-ish fleet and deployed a forward base. Now, the nebs base is designed as a 'castle' so to speak. i.e., there are defensive walls all around the (rectangular) base, and the walls are lined with turrets and other buildings to prevent terraforming in with a beacon. This was circumvented by CHAOS. They placed a cheap building (turret) at the foundation of the castle and then ran a single construction cycle on the turret. This caused the smoothening mentioned by Zoom to take effect. The smoothing eliminates all elevation differences in a small area around the turret. Thus, a piece of the defensive wall (which was about 500m higher than the turret) was leveled instantaneously, and the agents that were standing next to that wall were moved half-way down the wall.

Doek said "terraforming without a beacon or charges is an exploit, there's no way to reason around that", and i'd agree with this. All bases could be affected by this, and defenses should be updated accordingly.

Re: Terraforming with buildings

The way this mechanic works is not a secret. The game does not require a perfectly flat terrain for placing buildings due to convenience reasons. So when you deploy a building it will smooth out the remaining roughness, in order to avoid floating building edges and the likes.

i have to agree with mqx here. this is not the way it should be, or work.
if large volume pf terrain has to be changed to place/build a structure the that has to be terraformed before you be able to place the structure. even more this should be not possible if players are in the area that is changeing, just as any form of terraforming is not possible if a player is in that area. large terrain changes just as used by chaos is not a inteded game mechanic to break a defense and with this in my opinion a exploit. but thats up to the devs to decide.

best way to figure our bugs ... let players find ways to exploit it...

The "large terrain changes" simply happen because you have created such a steep wall and such sharp edges that a tiny push at the bottom of the wall will cause a big "landslide". And this happens due to the tiling of the terrain - with such tight constructions as yours, there are literally just a few polygons between the bottom and the top of the wall, which will easily pull each other down. With all due respect, this is bad terraforming design, as it would be just as vulnerable to a simple terraforming module, if you wouldn't be standing on top of it... A less steep wall with some steps or breaks would be much more solid and resistant to any terraforming.

im just trying to be constrictive.

maybe the "more or less flat area" should be the size that the building acual needs. as far as i can see it just need the flat area where the structure stands and the area around it that "belongs" to the structure but is walkable space gets leveled.

we had the same problem when we placed our first terminal on yuraion shortly after the gamma patch just at the botton edge of a cliff. what i am saying is maybe you just should not be able to place it then if it needs that space.

this also could be used to cheap terraform very high mountains which would require a imense ammount of terraforming charges to do it with the intended tools.

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

this also could be used to cheap terraform very high mountains which would require a imense ammount of terraforming charges to do it with the intended tools.

No, it couldn't be used for that, for two reasons even.

1. As said this only works in special cases when you build walls close to vertical. If you place a building beside a normal sloped mountain, it won't pull down the top of it, it will barely affect its foot. The more distance there is between the place where you deploy the building, and the top of the wall, the less effect the "building terraforming" will have on the wall.

2. It's not cheap, far from it I'd say. First off, you have to buy a building foundation for millions of NIC. When you deploy it, you can't deconstruct it, because for that you would have to fully construct it first. So you have to destroy it, and the money goes poof. Then you would have to do this over and over and over again until you ever so slowly pull the wall down this way.

7 (edited by mqx 2012-09-10 17:14:36)

if one cared about money, building a turret up fully (costs a measly 20 blocks), and then deconstructing it (refund of 15 blocks) wouldnt be a problem either. So we now have a terraforming tool that costs five construction blocks per deployment and terraforms potentially huge chunks of earth.

what zortarg means is this (i think): you create a wall that reaches the build/tf ceiling and is wide enough for exactly 1 turret. from there, you can expand that wall using turret tfing.

You know...  Had you built your gamma base the way the Devs wanted it you probably wouldn't be having this problem.  "Bad terraforming design" Bahahaha!  I love it!

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

"turrets" got a TF effect?

when got that changed? i know that bigger buildings, like terminals got that pretty obvious effect - but turrets used to be 1-tile flat, 0 tile smooth radius, 30m terrain-freeze radius.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Modular walls, as i proposed, plus gates, will solve this problem and make this game much wonderful.

@ zoom i would question what constitutes " good design " .. personally i would like to be able TF down to the water table and make a mote around my castle so people were forced to enter through the proper entrance ...

IMO "good design" will require many more features and tools than what are currently provided.

Terraforming with turrets .. while its possible with the current mechanics is not the intended purpose of the building.

If you would like to state that all current "features" that are present at any one specific point in time are "part of useable game mechanic's" then what is the purpose of you banning people for using features to their advantage.

the simple solution would be to only allow buildings to be deployed or constructed when there were no players in its construction area (or within 100 meters).

Your correct the base design was not perfect because it was not completed but that doesn't change the seemingly exploitative nature of what chaos did...

@chaos stop trying to lag your way out of your cage !!! lol

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Tux wrote:

If you would like to state that all current "features" that are present at any one specific point in time are "part of useable game mechanic's" then what is the purpose of you banning people for using features to their advantage.

There are exploits which are simply detrimental to the game, and there are features which can be used in a way they were not designed for, but are part of the system.

Self-terraforming buildings are an example to the latter. The feature was designed with player convenience in mind, but apparently can be used for something else too.

Standing on top of a wall to prevent the enemy from terraforming is also an example to the latter. This feature was designed to prevent players from being stuck in terraformed holes, but apparently a lot of players use it for base defense.

I mean no offense, I'm just putting this here because this whole debate is pretty much about the pot calling the kettle black.

edit:
I'd also like to state that we are not happy with either "phenomenon", but they cannot be called straight out exploits.

All these problems stem from the fact that terraforming has no slope limit. Introduce one, and:

- textures will look good again
- turrets can still be built on non-flat terrain, but don't (and shouldn't be able to) terraform a 200 m high slope
- these ridiculous 'boxes' and Mordor-style walls can be banished

With that said and done, anything to break Gamma's staleness is a good development.

Doek: believe me, if that would be as simple as turning a switch we would have done it already smile

Tux wrote:

the simple solution would be to only allow buildings to be deployed or constructed when there were no players in its construction area (or within 100 meters).

@ zoom no comment ??? or do you think this is to simple of a solution ... i don't see where this could cause cause any game breaking issues, at its current state the game can already tell the difference if there is a player or object in the way of something ie. error message when trying to deploy beacons to close to players and structures.

when i say deployed i mean when you click to activate the structure to make it deploy.... or if that's to far make it 75 meters.

Tux: sorry I don't understand what this would solve. You were watching Chaos deploy their turrets from far above, you weren't standing in their deployment area, so this would have prevented nothing. Or did I miss something there?

DEV Zoom wrote:

Tux: sorry I don't understand what this would solve. You were watching Chaos deploy their turrets from far above, you weren't standing in their deployment area, so this would have prevented nothing. Or did I miss something there?

TF is 2D if i stand 1000m above a TF beacon it thinks i am 0 meters away i would think it should work the same way for buildings ... mixing 2d and 3d calculations i don't know where the game draws the line .... but if buildings calculate in 2d then it would prevent someone from laying a building directly 1000m below me.

You understand that you propose this just because you want to terraform your bases in a very specific way? (vertical walls)

19 (edited by Hunter 2012-09-11 12:01:24)

Zoom... Actually it should be impossible to deploy building blueprint with following message "terrain too slope". This is obviously exploit, which you can to correct with simple limits. Why don't you want - this is another problem. And nobody cares on it. Your team wanna lose the players again? - Ok, you will...

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

Alright, after some discussion here we have decided to take out the self-flattening feature of buildings in the next patch. This won't affect the requirements for maximum slope when placing buildings, so you will still have to terraform a rough place for them. This will only mean that you will have to plan ahead even more and anticipate the fact that you won't be able to flatten a slope after you have placed a building.

What?  You caved because of three whiners wantimg to throw a temper tantrum? Explain to me Dev Zoom how being able to make terraform walls to  the max completely around the base making completely invincible promotes risk to reward?  With undying repair nodes and Ew turrets now working through walls there's no  w to terraform in.  Your making this 100% biased to the home owner and requiring the entire population to band together to fight one corps gamma and that is terrible for game design.

1.  Repair nodes should not go into reinforcing mode.

2.  Leave this change alone,millions upon millions of Nic are being invested by the attacker.  I'm sorry you want to terraform yourselves off from the rest of the world but you shouldn't be able to.

3.  Stop being 3 yr olds threatening the Devs and running into the cornering crying.  Pathetic utterly pathetic.

22 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-09-11 14:22:04)

Alexadar wrote:

Modular walls, as i proposed, plus gates, will solve this problem and make this game much wonderful.

I have to agree TF walls is a cop out & i would prefer we be able to do it the right way.

edit: gah im agreeing with some one from CHAOS ...does that make me a little bit russian? wheres my Vodka ! tongue

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

They told you with deployable walls on Kentagura they didn't want  this kind of design but yet you still did it!  So why the special treatment now??  You do thus change now.  There are a lot of 62 and war guys who need to be reimbursed for some walls.

24 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-09-11 14:22:51)

I find this whole thing funny. im just waiting for the thread "WTF XYZ alliance has walled off their island & now we have no way to get in to PVP"

God Zoom why do you devs have to knee Jerk all the time hmm

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

This "I want, I want, or I'm gonna leave" attitude reminds me so much of the Majority of the Eve Online Community... Sorry to say though, but you don't always get what you want.