Topic: Log-in screen display proposal

Add information in login-screen that displays how many accounts are logged in game at that time.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Re: Log-in screen display proposal

+1

+1

GERMAN ROBOTECH INDUSTRIES
| high tech engineering since 2010 | Website

It can't be worse than people looking at general chat and extracting conclusions from that...

+1

RIP PERPETUUM

+1 agree

This would be a very nice feature.

+1

+1. Minimal effort, maximal benefit.

+1

I don't see the real benefit to this.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Accurate information on how many accounts/people are playing the game for everyone, so no guesstimates have to be made off General Chat population which is frequently in the 20-30's these days.

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

Accurate information on how many accounts/people are playing the game for everyone, so no guesstimates have to be made off General Chat population which is frequently in the 20-30's these days.

But why would you want to know?

Ludlow Bursar wrote:
Syndic wrote:

Because for new people it makes online population numbers look a bit less worse than when they just look at the numbers in general chat. Is that that hard to understand?

14 (edited by Syndic 2012-07-16 17:59:19)

Ludlow Bursar wrote:
Syndic wrote:

I'm curious, and I'm sure a lot of other people are too. Why shouldn't I know? What's the big deal?

CIR Complaint Form

Not many games doing this.

F2P games i have seen yet tend to only show "server population "low - medium - high - full"
subbed games with Instanced servers seem to show accurate numbers more often.

would you want the accurate number in a location where only subbed player can see it (agent selection screen) or before that, where you only need a client to show?

the later probably will never happen -> remember the reason the grafical online feed was removed wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

16 (edited by Ludlow Bursar 2012-07-16 19:34:55)

Syndic wrote:

I'm curious, and I'm sure a lot of other people are too. Why shouldn't I know? What's the big deal?

No big deal, it was a genuine question.

At current levels of population, though, I think it will probably be detrimental to the game to display logged in characters. Firstly, the low number could put-off some new players before they give the game a fair stab. Second, to know how many players are on, players currently have to get out there in Nia and do stuff (roam etc) rather than log in, see the number and just think 'Nah! won't bother".

I am, however, also curious.

17 (edited by BandwagonX9000 2012-07-16 19:47:53)

Annihilator wrote:

Not many games doing this.

F2P games i have seen yet tend to only show "server population "low - medium - high - full"
subbed games with Instanced servers seem to show accurate numbers more often.

would you want the accurate number in a location where only subbed player can see it (agent selection screen) or before that, where you only need a client to show?

the later probably will never happen -> remember the reason the grafical online feed was removed wink

In that case they are better off removing the count and the member list of gc. A new player is nto going to see the graph, but the chat channel. And an old player doesn't need anyone to tell them what the current population level is...

Ludlow Bursar wrote:
Syndic wrote:

At current levels of population, though, I think it will probably be detrimental to the game to display logged in characters. Firstly, the low number could put-off some new players before they give the game a fair stab. Second, to know how many players are on, players currently have to get out there in Nia and do stuff (roam etc) rather than log in, see the number and just think 'Nah! won't bother".

Pretty much summarizes my thoughts. As much as I'd like to see and know I fear it would be off-putting to any new people who happen across.

+1/2

Sparking to other games

I just don't want to fire up the old perpetuum client and go, man theres only 50 people online, *** this, I'm going to play Hello Kitty Online, and get banned by moderates for calling everyone *** carebears.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ludlow Bursar wrote:

I personally think the most detrimental thing to the game is when a new player logs into General Chat with 20-30 accounts in it, asks if General Chat is local or global, then disconnects never to be seen again.

@ Annihilator

EVE displays it as soon as you boot up the client.

CIR Complaint Form

This should be done. ... its not technically challenging the number could be updated every few minutes.
if the DEV's think this would be off putting to some people then well .. they should get more people to play the game.

This however can be used for tactical information and planning .. . If i see 300 people online I may not want to move my Scarab MK2 4 or 5 jumps into gamma. but if i see only 30 people online I wouldn't think twice about it.   

There are pros and cons to this idea ....... but for the simple reason that Syndic is suggesting it I will say no to this idea .. there's other more important things to program and worry about wink

someone else make a new topic and suggest this so i can get behind it in full force smilebig_smilelol

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Tux wrote:

This should be done. ... its not technically challenging the number could be updated every few minutes.
if the DEV's think this would be off putting to some people then well .. they should get more people to play the game.

This however can be used for tactical information and planning .. . If i see 300 people online I may not want to move my Scarab MK2 4 or 5 jumps into gamma. but if i see only 30 people online I wouldn't think twice about it.   

There are pros and cons to this idea ....... but for the simple reason that Syndic is suggesting it I will say no to this idea .. there's other more important things to program and worry about wink

someone else make a new topic and suggest this so i can get behind it in full force smilebig_smilelol

roll

<GargajCNS> we maim to please