Topic: New beta islands. Unleash the power of the community

I notice that in the post Gamma Frontier island layout there appears to be three convenient spaces for, dare I suggest, three new Beta islands. Is this a plan for the near future?

In this blog (http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/posts/ … raforming/) DevZoom says that:

"our current islands have been all started by procedural heightmap generation ... [but] in order for them to be ready and usable they needed a lot of manual work"

and:

"The game has supported terraforming from the very beginnings, but so far it has only been a privilege to us devs."

If the terraforming software was made available to members of a very willing community who have an excellent knowledge of what makes for an interesting terrain and those members provided with some guidelines or rules as to what was required this could save the DEVs a lot of that "manual work".

The DEVs, of course would have final say and I'm sure would make adjustments to those player crafted islands which make it to the server but being able to choose from a host of player crafted islands would surely save much valuable time.

Re: New beta islands. Unleash the power of the community

I don't think this would be a good idea. Look at the map as a painting. How often do you see more than a single person "paint" one?

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

The holes in the island layout are simply the result of the ring-like placement of the gamma islands, and our desire of not letting teleport lines cross other islands. But if we put some islands there, they will be definitely PvE related.

Terraforming is only a small part of the mentioned "manual work". It has to go hand in hand with the placement and configuration of NPC spawns, placing decorative buildings and teleports, and up until recently the placement of mineral fields (but that's now automated).

But the creation of new islands is usually not limited by our development resources, it's simply a matter of decision whether we want them. Currently, I don't think the game needs new beta islands.

4 (edited by Burial 2012-06-22 15:08:19)

I would love to have different sized islands. I know engine limitations can not make the islands currently any bigger, but why can't there be smaller islands? Say the ones with only one terminal and maybe half or even less land mass. It would seriously spice up the whole gameplay.

By the way, one suggestion on adding beta islands is here: http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … of-gammas/

Burial wrote:

It would seriously spice up the whole gameplay.

Unfortunately, i disagree -- creating a land mass which is too small to hide on and easily roamed quickly wont make people want to inhabit it.

It would do nothing for the game.

6 (edited by Norrdec 2012-06-22 16:25:03)

If anything, create extra strain on people nerves, how often did you crash in game after a teleport?
Now do a chase scene with 2 groups and one of them having half of the people crash smile BOOM BOOM BOOM

Norrdec wrote:

If anything, create extra strain on people nerves, how often did you crash in game after a teleport?
Now do a chase scene with 2 groups and one of them having half of the people crash smile BOOM BOOM BOOM

That reminds me something recent.. big_smile

Hej, crashes happen even mid nothing, lost more than one bot that way big_smile