1 (edited by Crepitus 2012-06-19 13:08:30)

Topic: New (to me anyway) type of client crash

So, after several hours of playing with multiple clients running I had one crash on docking in to a station.  That's not so much the unusual part, although docking usually doesn't cause crashes for me and that is pretty rare by itself.

The weird part was after I hit okay to submit the report, 2 of my other clients glitched while 2 other kept running unaffected.  The two that messed up started .. it's hard to describe, they were all docked in a station, the same station, and all of the UI windows and everything would like turn off and back on again.  On one client it did this very quickly like 3 times a second and on the other one it was slow like 1 a second.

Killing and restarting the clients fixed it but I thought it was really bizarre and maybe related to the insane stuttering I get on terrain which gets worse the more clients I have on terrain near each other (4 is basically an unplayable slide show and clicking on things is the hardest part because its like the screen is refreshing more slowly or something and it misses my clicks and they don't register properly on terrain or other bots or field cans or whatever).

EDIT: I should add that I thought that the bug report crashed client was the one causing the flickering so I killed that one before it sent the whole dump - but since that didn't fix the other 2 clients I restarted them like I said above.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Re: New (to me anyway) type of client crash

It seems multiwindow doesn't work that good as it was before. I was running 3 clients and they were crashing one by one after some time of play. Also clients became "heavier" in some strange way - earlier I was able to run 4 clients on minimum settings everything was ok. Now I can run just 3 regardless of settings - well, I can set them at medium quality at least everything is ok too. 4 clients, however, run very slow even on low quality. BUT thats not all - I can run 3 clients on medium quality AND run some other game, no probs.

Looks like Perpetuum engine isn't optimised well smile

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

the engine is now more GFX card based then CPU based.

if your multicore 64bit system could run many clients pre-shader 2.0, you can now run into issues with your grafic power.

BUT

i am experiencing also some issues (stuttering) when i do not restart my PC inbetween my Perpetuum sessions (eg. Standbymode).

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Were you running the clients "borderless"? If you were, then its known to kill performance and cause crashes.

Burial wrote:

Were you running the clients "borderless"? If you were, then its known to kill performance and cause crashes.

no, all of my clients use windowed mode only

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!