1 (edited by Crepitus 2012-06-04 17:45:57)

Topic: TERA

Westernized Korean action mmo.  I personally hate eastern grinders, I pre-ordered Aion and quit that game at level 9 (I mention this because it get compared to Aion a fair bit).  I'm almost lvl 30 in this and it's been fun.  The combat is amazing, the graphics are gorgeous, the quests are tedious linear and boring so if you're an alt-o-holic you will have issues.  Crafting and some other things are a little weird to this American but it's still fun to play just because of the action combat.  There are no battlegrounds or arenas yet but they're supposed to be being patched in over the summer.  All the pvp right now is open world.

I've played mortalonline, darkfall, and morrowind, etc, and this is the best action rpg system I've ever seen by miles.  There is no tab targeting you have to aim and you can "chain" skills together to create your own combos if you want.  There are no stealth classes at all so if you want to be a rogue warrior is the closest and it's getting buffed in a patch soon. 

It has some other stuff too like guilds can have an elected official that can actually control the way areas in the game work for example I was in the Poppori capital yesterday and the guild with a vanarch (official) in shut off all the specialty vendors just to be *** I guess.  Their pvp-flagging system pretty much encourages griefing since you have to flag as an "outlaw" to attack someone who isn't flagged (can't be done in a city) which means anyone can attack you without having to flag themselves.  The timer is like 10 or 15 minutes or something and you gain "infamy" points the details of which I don't really understand.

Anyway, I got the CE from Amazon for $30 on sale with a month of playtime.  I don't know if that deal is still up or not but I think it's worth it.  If there are other perp players looking for a tank I'm on Valley of Titans PvP server as a Lancer tank, Jolly.Green.Giant

$.02 o7

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Re: TERA

Will give it a go. I really dislike the graphic style most of the asian games have, hopefully its different.

Burial wrote:

Will give it a go. I really dislike the graphic style most of the asian games have, hopefully its different.

It does have some lame cutesy stuff but half the fun is stomping those in to the ground.  What really impressed me is the variety of mob models, they have some cool ideas for monsters I haven't seen in typical Western-mythology based games ("Oh, look, another hydra"). 

Like one I remember from yesterday was a vampire jester that had a bunch of little dolls that attacked with it that had the Saw guy face masks on.

I've been a main tank in other games too but it's never been my preferred role.  This is different though because you have to actively tank not just soak hits you have to block incoming shots and then use your own base attack to keep your mana up so you can keep soaking hits.  You even get a self-heal and if you Baraka you can get a full heal on a 2 hour cd too.  I've already tanked elite mobs solo (like 15-20 minute fights) for more than 3x the xp and loot reward of an actual quest but it's hard going on a pvp server cause you get ganked a lot. 

I actually started as a mystic which is hybrid support, but then I played a sorceror (sp?) and burned some faces fast and easy, but re-rolled to a tank because they don't have any other way of getting the best gear at the moment other than PvE dungeons and the queues are long for straight dps.  Oh, as an aside here, always pick "willing to lead the group" on the instance queue.  Unlike every other MMO I've ever played the leader in this can just straight kick people - no vote wink

The community in game is standard WoW-troll-fare.  Every other comment in LFG is about alienware or taking an arrow to the knee.  I literally just leave my combat one open instead and it's fine. 

I keep hearing that crafting sucks but the system is totally foreign to me, people have said it's like Aion's but I don't know.  You can pick up all the crafting and gathering skills and max all of them out if you want though, which I probably will do eventually as I tend to do in games like this for my alts gear and potions and whatnot.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

4 (edited by Crepitus 2012-06-28 22:49:30)

Tera implemented a PLEX like system today.  Selling the chronoscrolls for gold it's 10x cheaper than the Chinese gold sites.  This is a clear massive win for En Masse on all sides, they get a huge influx of money, they undercut the gold farmers so they probably won't have to police as much for them and their spam will be less, players are all happy I haven't seen a single complaint in game about it being pay to win or anything like that.  I actually bought 2 and sold them on the Trade Broker (auction house/market) already.  I have to say after experiencing it first hand I'm in favor of the PLEX in this game and am very impressed. 

They put limits on how many you can buy at one time and they each take up an inventory slot, and they can only be traded via the trade broker which means people can't get scammed on person to person trades.  It also has a limit on how many you can redeem a week, it's at 2 right now.

Population graphs

Yeah I was glad to see them doing the chronoscrolls in this game. I got a refund on the game though. The client had issues with my video cards.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

well, sounds like they had CHINA farmer there and a black-market.

so introduction of PLEX system there is a counter to an existing issue. An issue we dont have in Perp, if youre post is aiming in that direction....

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

well, sounds like they had CHINA farmer there and a black-market.

so introduction of PLEX system there is a counter to an existing issue. An issue we dont have in Perp, if youre post is aiming in that direction....

The chronoscroll was something they had spoke about before the game went live.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Nice. Will give it a try today. I have yet to hear something negative about this game.

9 (edited by Burial 2012-07-01 12:04:16)

I little article about Male Gaze that I stumbled upon had TERA also mentioned: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1732 … r_boys.php

I personally didn't go further then looking few pictures, the graphic style is a bit too over the top for my taste.

10 (edited by Crepitus 2012-07-13 14:01:24)

Best Buy has Tera for $8 today.

As this game supports player time items (plex) in the form of chronoscrolls, that is definitely enough time to farm enough gold to continue your sub for free just by playing.

EDIT: Original link said free shipping but if you click add to cart it's store pick up, at least it was for me.

Population graphs

Going F2P: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MMO-TE … 20335.html