1 (edited by Crepitus 2012-06-02 12:38:24)

Topic: BUG: Teleporting can glitch sound, crashing the client and

breaking it system wide.  I have no sound whatsoever now.  This has never happened prior to the patch.

EDIT: This took a full restart to fix.  It did something to *** up the driver itself.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Re: BUG: Teleporting can glitch sound, crashing the client and

I am finding that many session changes results in a crash of the client the only session change that does not do this is to deploy from station, if i dock i get a crash, if i teleport  i get a cash. I am running a client under wine, but i did not see this behaviour on the test server.

Also getting the Sound file bug while teleporting, undocking or logging to terrain. It seems as tho a random sound file is playing veryloudly sometimes its a movement sound others it a teleport sound. To go along with this teleporting (the black screen) is now taking twice as long to load as it previously did.

Participate, Congratulate cause everything else will be seen as HATE.
Max yellow max all skills lvl 10 min max for the win

I got the client crash on three clients after playing most of yesterday. Also got the sound breaking on one of three clients yesterday, but it did not break my sound card entirely. Sound was back after that client crashed on docking.

If your entire system breaks sound-wise, you might wanna look into your drivers and/or hardware. The client isn't doing anything out of spec (standard run-of-the-mill DirectSound), and I don't even know how I could possibly do that.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

would you say its a system problem if i get a short moment "ingame music" after teleporting, even though i have it on zero volume?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

DEV Gargaj wrote:

If your entire system breaks sound-wise, you might wanna look into your drivers and/or hardware. The client isn't doing anything out of spec (standard run-of-the-mill DirectSound), and I don't even know how I could possibly do that.

That was the whole point of my post dude.  There nothing at all wrong with my hardware. I work on computers for a living and I built this machine brand new like a month and a half ago I have had no problems at all with it before or since until this patch with this game and nothing else.

I ran 5 clients, wmplayer, netflix, and TERA PRE-PATCH without issue at all, with ALL of them using the sound simultaneously.  The new client *** the driver, and it happened 1 time and that hasn't happened since either.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

I stand by my original point that an user-level application cannot and should not be able to cause damage or indeed any alteration to a kernel-level driver unless the driver allows it. All Perpetuum does is use a standard secondary-ringbuffer for streaming audio, the same technique any game or media player does. That's really it. Especially if it only happened once, that doesn't really provide enough proof that it was Perpetuum's fault.

I'm not excluding the possibility that there are sound bugs that can cause the client to crash (I know there are dodgy parts of the client code), but I'm unwilling to blame the client for a driver-level error.

Annihilator wrote:

would you say its a system problem if i get a short moment "ingame music" after teleporting, even though i have it on zero volume?

No, that's a single one-line fix I just added, Mr. Soapbox, but thanks for mixing apples with oranges.

10 (edited by Crepitus 2012-06-06 12:17:30)

DEV Gargaj wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

No, that's a single one-line fix I just added, Mr. Soapbox, but thanks for mixing apples with oranges.

Lol.

Anyway, it  could well be the driver, you're right.  But, I hope not since it's a pretty common chipset.  This is my board, the audio chipset is this one.

EDIT: I hated the underlined period in my 2nd link, yea I'm OCD like that.

P.S. No, I didn't want the board with stealth thermal undies but they were sold out of the one I wanted so I went a step up and got extra sata/usb ports I will probably never use.

Population graphs

Annihilator wrote:

Thats it, it is the music!

Participate, Congratulate cause everything else will be seen as HATE.
Max yellow max all skills lvl 10 min max for the win