1 (edited by Jasdemi 2012-05-24 22:05:30)

Topic: Revise Artifact Scanning

o/

I think the process of artifact scanning is not complete as it is now, that's why everyone is using the third party tool, Scan2App. You could still do this without this app, but then it's rather annoying and not even close as time efficient as with Scan2App.

My suggestion:
When scanning it should draw circles on map based on your location and distance to the artifact, just like with Scan2App. Just drawing circles, but not telling you the likely location, so players still have to use their brainz a little.

I'm sure everyone agrees that when you can only do a profession in game with 3rd party tools then something is wrong. No?

EDIT:

How I imagine it to work:

1. Activate geoscanner with artifact scanning charge.
2. Shows all available sites within radius AND saves location and distance of each site (up to 10 last entries per site).
3. By left clicking a site in the scanner window it'll draw circles on map based on the 10 last entries.

PS: Saved entries should remain even after teleporting to another island.

2 (edited by Lupus Caeli 2012-05-24 10:37:35)

Re: Revise Artifact Scanning

+1
Edit:
Before I found Scan2App I was drawing circles in Photoshop ....

+1

"you're not in an MMO to make friends, you're there to make enemies smile"

+1

... and another thing. I'm sure the db behind atrefact scanning gives each artefact a uniqueID of some sort. Can we please see that in the GUI? An un-necessary level of frustration is introduced to artefacting when you have two, three or even four artefacts with exactly the same description.

Updated with more detailed suggestion.

+1 for crop circles big_smile

RIP PERPETUUM

do it !!!

+1

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

+1 for artefacting without external tool and working in a good way.

+1

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

+100 cause iam lazy

oh wait i cant give more than 1 ?

+1

A more streamlined/useful interface for arti hunting would be very welcome!

+1

If the system gets changed, I don't think it should be made easier. Third party apps have made it almost too easy anyhow.

Fix game mechanics instead of breaking working ones (*** industry change)

Oh the Tears they are so delicious...  stop crying m2s Alt... Stop crying...

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

WTF u talkin about. I'm eharm alt.

ghosttr wrote:

If the system gets changed, I don't think it should be made easier. Third party apps have made it almost too easy anyhow.

But thats the whole point! Artifacting without third party apps is very hard, time consuming and just not paying off very well...
This leads to a majority of players using the app, wich proves its a bad game mechanic. Adding the same function the app has, but in the official game client will not make it harder or easier, it will simply remove the need for using third part software!
I hate saying it, but Jasdemi fuuu has a really good point with this suggestion.

its not that i was complaining about that, right after the system went online. Thanks Jasdemi for warming up that topic again wink

with the new directional scanner result window - i dont think it would be to hard to draw circles on that map without giving the exact distances (<- major flaw of the artifact system).

without the "calculate position" mechanic of the Foom-Tool, just permanently visualizing the result circle we should get a system that is neither to hard nor exploitable with an external tool.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

honestly i like the directional scanner of the ore right now.. why not do that with artifacts as well?

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

honestly i like the directional scanner of the ore right now.. why not do that with artifacts as well?

+1

Bumpitybump. Artifact scanning can't scan like this, requiring a third party program.

+1

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

DEVs, at least acknowledge that artifact scanning is not working as you intended it to work(requiring to permanently use a 3rd party tool).

Artifact scanning does not require to use a 3rd party tool.

It does.