Topic: ATI x1950 and other old videocard tests needed

We're trying to confirm an issue regarding older ATI videocards - the issue was detected on an ati x1950 pro and manifests in a black screen when you go to the terrain.

If you own or have access to a system with older videocards we'd appreciate you testing the new client on them. All you need to do is dock out to the terrain and report if the given videocard could display the terrain or not. (Videocardname + OK or BLACKSCREEN should be enough)

Thanks smile

(x1950 confirmed from two sources now)

Re: ATI x1950 and other old videocard tests needed

As already told ingame - x1950pro -> black screen

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I've had this happen with the ATI 4870x2 a couple of times when I've tried to undock, also have undocked and the landmarks doesn't show any teleporters or outposts. In both cases, black screen and no structures, if I wait a few minutes the game disconnects me.

It doesn't happen everytime, but after it happens, I'm unable to deploy to the terrain for at least 15 mins. After that, it lets me get back in normally.

If this doesn't happen every time that's a separate issue, in this thread we're looking for videocards completely incapable of displaying the new terrain so I can get my hands on one of them and fix the issue.

5 (edited by bleu 2012-05-13 23:12:34)

trying to open corp. management tab while in friendly outpost creats perpetuum crash.
   The first time i was able to open it and once i created corp storage it crashed now everytime i try to open corp management tab in outpost it crash's

bleu: wrong topic

I have access to a number of old HD 4550's from 2008 that have 256 mb on them.  I looked it up and that x1950 is from 2006 though so I don't know how old you're talking about.

One problem is, as I'm sitting here bored at work, I could test it and possibly some other old cards too but Perpetuum's game servers are blocked and even using vpn style proxies like ultrasurf it's inaccessible (probably because I can't use my own DNS at all, they block most ports both incoming and outgoing as well as doing packet inspection, etc).

If there were some way to load the client locally without it connecting to the servers and still have it load art assets and whatnot like it were connected I could test it anyway and bring the client from home.  As it is the furthest I've ever seen it get is the login screen.

I don't have a cellphone/contract at all so 3G is out wink

I can tell you the existing client is unplayable on an old nvidia nvs quadro 110m ~2006 though.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

unplayable = black screen or performance issues?

Sadly we don't have an offline benchmark mode (it'd make my life a lot easier tho, we'll have it one day...), but any effort is appreciated. The more cards we can identify that have the black screen issue the bigger the chance of us locating one and being able to fix this.

9 (edited by Crepitus 2012-05-14 17:52:14)

DEV BoyC wrote:

unplayable = black screen or performance issues?

Sadly we don't have an offline benchmark mode (it'd make my life a lot easier tho, we'll have it one day...), but any effort is appreciated. The more cards we can identify that have the black screen issue the bigger the chance of us locating one and being able to fix this.

Performance. 

I will see what I can do.  I wonder if the black screen is similar to the crash-on-teleport/crash-on-undock bugs.

EDIT: Which are noticeably less frequent since I've been back.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

I think I have a Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro, its interesting for test? its use RV350 GPU

ati x1650 black screen when i deploy to terrain

From experience old ATI's suck, have nvidia 9800gt seems quite smooth on high setting better than live server.

RIP PERPETUUM

Eng Daniel: the 9600 didn't support pixelshader 3.0 yet so it's not on our target list.

Celebro: this is not actually an ATI fault, we just need to figure out what feature we're using that these cards didn't have yet. Need to do some proper debugging for this tho so we need hands on time with the hw.

Ok and about 7600GS from Nvidia? I know you say ATI, but I don't know if only ATI or others from same year.

15 (edited by Crepitus 2012-05-17 19:39:52)

@DEV Boyc Is the address in Hungary your guys actual office or are you at the one listed for the publisher?

EDIT: I'm asking because I have like 8 video cards to send you guys .. many of which are too old for me to test as I don't have AGP machines around anymore. wink

Population graphs

16 (edited by Celebro 2012-05-19 16:10:38)

DEV BoyC wrote:

Celebro: this is not actually an ATI fault, we just need to figure out what feature we're using that these cards didn't have yet. Need to do some proper debugging for this tho so we need hands on time with the hw.

I am no expert, but are you aware of this difference from ATI X1000 series cards?

'Note that ATI X1000 series cards (e.g. X1900) doesn't support Vertex Texture Fetch, hence it does not fully comply with the VS 3.0 model. Instead, they offer a feature called "Render to Vertex Buffer (R2VB)" that provides functionality that is an alternative Vertex Texture Fetch.'

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison … sing_units

RIP PERPETUUM

17 (edited by Blackomen 2012-05-21 05:48:34)

I have a old pc in the closet with a x1900xt graphics card, that close enough to what you want to test? If so I'll yank it out and give it a try.

PS: Also, any particular drivers? There are the old drivers, and the newer legacy drivers (Which worked like crap with it.)

Oldest player still in the game. Perpetuum for life.
Original Founder of M2S, may it rest in peace. sad
"Hungarian Math" is defined by the dictionary as "Just like normal math, but where each equation ends by dividing the sum by Potato."
-Shoutout to "Stranger Danger" for the "potato" comment.

Celebro that's a very nice catch - it's the exact issue we're facing.
The new engine is completely based on vertex texture fetching, so we'll need to look at this issue more closely once everything else is done for the expansion.
I do have an x1950 now so I'll be able to check out a possible solution.