1 (edited by Ludlow Bursar 2012-05-11 21:25:42)

Topic: Directional Scanner

I can find ore quite easily but.

1. http://www.rccb.co.uk/images/no_titan.jpg - In this image you can see that the directional scan gives me the cross but the tile scanner for titan shows absolutely nothing, not even one little green cube anywhere near

2. I have also found many many large patches of tiny green cubes which I thought wasn't supposed to happen.

3. Once you change from direction scan (with the nice map) to tile scan there is no way to choose to view directional scans again on the scanner interface. From my hour or so of scanning so far i wouold say this is pretty essential.

EDIT: I've found the situation described in point one a good number of times now with multiple ores ores and on alpha and beta islands. Anyone else, or is it just me?

Re: Directional Scanner

Ludlow Bursar wrote:

I can find ore quite easily but.

1. http://www.rccb.co.uk/images/no_titan.jpg - In this image you can see that the directional scan gives me the cross but the tile scanner for titan shows absolutely nothing, not even one little green cube anywhere near

2. I have also found many many large patches of tiny green cubes which I thought wasn't supposed to happen.

3. Once you change from direction scan (with the nice map) to tile scan there is no way to choose to view directional scans again on the scanner interface. From my hour or so of scanning so far i wouold say this is pretty essential.

EDIT: I've found the situation described in point one a good number of times now with multiple ores ores and on alpha and beta islands. Anyone else, or is it just me?

Same here, found quite a few "spots" where directional scanner led me to, but there was absolutely nothing. I scanned with the area scan, and it showed me in one case almost 20% (imentium). But not a single tile contained minerals.

All scans I did, were on Telesis.

I've had similar issues.

Should directional scanning be working 100%?

On tellesis, I went to an old HDT spot, and tile scanned. It was a nice, but small, patch of red HDT tiles.

Standing on the HDT tile, I did an HDT directional scan, and it pointed me AWAY from where I was standing; this is in conjunction with the above mentioned bugs of being on the 'cross' spot and finding no HDT.

Also, standing on the 'cross', I did an area scan and it returned 3% (ish). I bumped my geo skills up, so (2) tile scans with adv charges covered the entire 'area scan'. The result image was black (108% accuracy). I suppose it could have been 100 green/black tiles, but the upload and show did not place any cubes on the screen.

I haven't checked any other island then tellesis.

first, i would want to know:

does the "Accuracy" of the directional scanner affect the vector displayed, or does it affect how likely it will point towards a non existant deposit?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

i scanned for epitron on domalarn with the directional scan, found the spot, and when i scanned with a tile scan i didnt get anything so i tried with the area scan and found 17% epitron, i used a argano mk2 with a t4+ geoscanner 110% accuracy.

heres a picture http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7858 … um0004.png

We're aware of this problem and it's definitely not how it should work. The directional scanner should always point to an actual field (or tile), even if the direction is slightly off due to inaccuracy.

I see that all the reported problems were on the alpha and beta islands.
I have not tried to scan the alpha and beta islands, but I scanned only the Berger's Island (gamma).
My scanning skills are minimal, and I had a T1 equipment to Riveler.
I wanted to find Colixum.
I walked almost 5 km in the direction of the arrow, and then appeared a red cross.
Then I scanned it with tile charge and found a large field of Colixum.
The same procedure I did for Stermonit. And I found it in an easy manner.
The arrows are slightly oscillated in his direction, but it was because of my bad skills, but on average they still showed a good direction.

My corpmate worked just the same on the other side of the island. He also found Colixum without any problems, just in another place than I do.

I found it was an issue on alpha island, but beta or gamma island works great and ores are easy to find. Area scanning the area on alpha where there was an X showed a good percentage, the problem I think lies on the tile scans not showing, therefore not sure it is a directional scan problem or tile scan problem.

RIP PERPETUUM

We have found it was a configuration problem, there were a lot of tiles holding very low amounts of minerals that the directional scanner found, but was invisible for the tile-based scanner due to some rounding bug. A fix will come in the next patch.

rounding bug? guess the scan overlay is still 8bit?

my next questions would have been: "have you actually tried an universal scan on those marked tiles, or even mining them?"

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Annihilator wrote:

rounding bug? guess the scan overlay is still 8bit?

my next questions would have been: "have you actually tried an universal scan on those marked tiles, or even mining them?"

I tried both. The "rounding bug" also applied to universal charges and mining charges.

Is it fixed now?

Dev said they had but haven't checked yet myself.

RIP PERPETUUM

It seems, the directional scanner always lead to some ore (at least I never had missleading again).
I did some tests around mining on telesis and thats the results:

- Base yield/cycle are now: 250 liquizit, 750 titanium and HDT, 500 stermonit and imentium (quite a boost for imentium)
- A single red tile contains around 350k ore (didnt scan with universal charge but mined)
- Mission related minerals (allacrit etc.) are VERY rare now. e.g. I got 1 for a million HDT mined. So are compressed ores (PL-10 - PL90 stuff)
- Liquids seem to not deplete at all. E.g. I mined over a million HDT from a single red tile and it didnt even change the colour. neighboar ones didnt either.
I guess, its either limitless, or the liquids run VERY fast from the neighboar tiles to the one is mined. And the radius of affected neighboar tiles is not small. Working as intended here?

Since you never know how far away is the ore field, a directional scan will lead you to, it would be really helpful to at least show the distance (not too accurate, e.g. <3000m or >5000m)

a liquid deposit is one entity - not only the neighbour tiles.

the DEVS should change the behaviour of uni-scans regarding liquids -> it should display the total amount, not only one tile.

No the liquid is still not one single entity... sorry.

With good accuracy, taking 2 directional scans from about 200m apart should give you a fairly good indication of the distance. If the look parrallel, then it's probably a long way out, if there's an angle to them, you can mentally extend the lines and get an approximation of where it is, which is better then a rough distance, as the virtual intersection point will likely be under npcs, you'll spot if right away on the map.

Or, because miners can do this, devs could simply add in the distance to make scanning easier. I think they'll probably let us struggle along without distance for a while, then just add it in some future patch.

18 (edited by Yakapao Doherato 2012-05-17 22:14:59)

DEV Crm wrote:

No the liquid is still not one single entity... sorry.

thens it seems to not deplete at all. tested it with HDT: mined a couple of cycles then scanned again with uni charges. the value doesnt change. tried it a couple of times.

@Arga: it can already be quite a time effort, finding some ore you need, why make it even more time consuming?

@DEVs: when the ore fields currently on test server (telesis) are representative, I guess, we will get in trouble, when times will come, with more than 100-150 ppl online. The ore deposits that I found so far, I could mine in less then a day alone....Arga will mine them in 3 hrs tongue

And when the fragmentation starts, a vet miner (or just a well skilled one on riv MK2) will have troubles finding a deposit worth mining, while some unskilled miners (e.g the actual trial termis problem) will benefit from the new system, as they can mine longer from a single tile what makes mining less of an effort.

Another problem is, now time will come where skilling a miner above certain levels (7?) will make no sense, as you can always mine the same amount out of a tile, where high levels are more a curse than a bless. I think, there should be done something, to encourage dedicated miners to skill their characters towards perfection...

Another thing, Id like to mention, are plants.
Since we have only universal plant charges, the effective percentage showed in the harvester info, doesnt envolve exploitation skills of specific plants. Why not show the effectiveness for every single plant in the info window then?

Well, the main trouble about harvesting plants still exists: you cannot effectively harvest it without a hauler account or another player, just following you on a hauler, since there are never that much plants an a "small" area, where you could place a single container to mine a reasonable volume of plants (for later hauling).

While harvesting plants is a kind of "exploration adventure job" where you need to travel and harvest and travel again....you should be able to harvest a reasonable amount without a hauler to be needed. Drastically decreasing the volume of plants (to like 5-10% of current volume, helio even more) should solve the problem.
Or make the plants having like 200-250 cycles with a 4-5 times the current regrowth rate.