Re: Faction material

Zor, Argas not trying to gang up and troll you he just sees this being an  unfair advantage and providing feedback.  These kinds of topics are discussed extensively in our corp during team activities.  We might not always have the right answers but we will identify what's wrong.  And by we, I mostly mean Arga.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

add AoE to higher tier medium miner and you can sweep through fragmented mining fields like a dustbuster.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

add AoE to higher tier medium miner and you can sweep through fragmented mining fields like a dustbuster.

Dyson orebuster 2000 series miner mods,

Or it could be a seperate line of indy tuners, replace cycle/yeild with +1 tile per tier

Annihilator wrote:

accually i think this is a pretty good idea. small mining modules got buffed pretty well. giving med miner a aoe mining will indeed be a nice feature and would make the miners life a bit simpler... (switching ore spots all the time sucks heaviely)

thats the first thing i have realised - with the new system they have enabled the possibility of AoE mining laser, with a radial falloff (under the current system it would be dumb to have something like this)

actually i was a bit disappointed of the announcement that ores will only spawn where heavy mechs will be able to reach them on alpha -> and no distinct advantage of using an argano for an extended period of time.

i say that, because even with a trial account, you get enough starting EP to mine with a Termis right off the bat - with 4 small mining laser and 4 possible tuning slots and more cargo...

but im drifting off.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Part of the concept or reduced volume, is getting more players mining ore, and getting more of it on the market (for purchase and transport).

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/ … /?pid=3731

Do oceans count as impassable terrain, because I feel an overwhelming urge to mine those yellow/orange tiles.

Arga wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47267637/ns … e-science/

It turns out that sheer abundance of food is less important than what scientists sometimes call "patchiness" — the spatial distribution of a food source. Marine animals, from birds to dolphins, are able to home in on dense patches of food, making a more efficient use of precious energy for mealtime.

This is relevant, because it's the same concept. If mine fields become 'too patchy' miners will require too much energy (time) to harvest it.

(Note: I keep talking about mining, but harvesting has the same issues).

Zoom has already indicated that the original spawns will never have black/green; lets call it 5 cycles of material.

What I would suggest, is that every 3 days or so, the server runs a check, and deletes any tiles with less than the equivalent of 5 cycles worth of material.

This has 2 effects. First it will reduce fragmentation, and secondly in general, an indication of materials in a scan should provide a reasonable return of effort when you drive out there.

This solution may be technically difficult, or inferior to tools you have, but if you can add in an auto-matic 'clean up', it will greatly improve the mining experience overall.

Arga, I totally agree with you on this.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Well from the comments they already made, it seems like they like the idea of chasing ghost ores of single 5 cycle tiles, but both the server clean up and the AoE mining are good ideas.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

35 (edited by Celebro 2012-05-07 19:46:44)

Could we just get a scanner and mining button on terminal and just leave afk, it's much simpler.

RIP PERPETUUM

Ive got a better idea: make the mining field in instances: you take a mission on terminal, you get a "this is your private instanve" teleport beacon and you can go mining there as long as you want... and next day you can do the same in a fresh new instance!

Celebro wrote:

Could we just get a scanner and mining button on terminal and just leave afk, it's much simpler.

This is the most intelligent thing you've ever said.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

38 (edited by Nemo 2012-05-10 03:31:40)

Arga wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47267637/ns … e-science/

It turns out that sheer abundance of food is less important than what scientists sometimes call "patchiness" — the spatial distribution of a food source. Marine animals, from birds to dolphins, are able to home in on dense patches of food, making a more efficient use of precious energy for mealtime.

<<SNIP>>

What I would suggest, is that every 3 days or so, the server runs a check, and deletes any tiles with less than the equivalent of 5 cycles worth of material.

This has 2 effects. First it will reduce fragmentation, and secondly in general, an indication of materials in a scan should provide a reasonable return of effort when you drive out there.

<<SNIP>>

I think that the above is a very good idea, and I can't see that it would be that hard to implement, as long as it was at intervals (for example your "every 3 days") and didn't have to be a dynamic deletion.

Perhaps this should be a separate feature suggestion, since it diverges from your OP about the imbalance inthe weighting of new materials-- which I think is also a valid point.  Regarding that, I doubt that it was a case of not wanitng to make a 3rd material-- it likely just got missed in the original work-up.  wink  It's a complicated set of relationships when they do a re-vamp like this.

well... have you ever wondered what those roaming npcs with mining lasers do? (nothing... yet)

*hint* for intelligent solution of ore fragmentation issues.

Annihilator wrote:

well... have you ever wondered what those roaming npcs with mining lasers do? (nothing... yet)

*hint* for intelligent solution of ore fragmentation issues.

That would be awesome... and terrible, but probably more on the awesome side; like 60/40. The terrible part would be the almost certainty that there is, or will be, a roaming spawn on, or coming to a geo scan location near you. But if the AI was set to mine only low yeild tiles, that would certainly fix the framentation issue.

it would be a living world we are playing in.