26 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-04-28 17:02:00)

Re: Little tiny player choices that are missing in this game.

Lobo wrote:
Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

First off:

Alpha 1 should always be 100% safe. its the noob zones so leave them in peace.

IF any of the ideas posted in this thread do happen it should be on  Alpha 2 islands.
As it stands now An alpha 2 island is divided up into "zones". Lets use shinjala as an example.
TL:BR Stuffz

So A2 would have no real gankable zone? This game needs a true low sec. Beta can easily become lowsec once gamma enters the game.

Allow Gamma to be no-mans land no flagging just free pew pew no getting caught at TPs waiting flags.
Beta will now be a lowsec where shooting makes you flagged and you can't jump TPs except to gamma.
Assuming this is the true island layout after patch http://content.perpetuum-online.com/ima … etwork.jpg
Have the A2 be as Obi was saying but I think only have the police towers (protection on the A1 TP to Main terminal)

Gankers in Beta and Alpha will encure a Outlaw Buff/Debuff(basicly its a perma flag) which will allow them to be attacked on any island for 24 hours.

Possibly code all this in to syndicate Outlaw point system and if they are repeat offenders they will not be allowed on Alpha islands, And Syndicate will start imposing bountys on bot the player used. Once syndicte has bountied a bot, owning player will no-longer be able to unequip the bot or insure it. Swapping to a new bot is possible but bountied bot will remain in players hanger with bounty until destroied by another player or NPCs.

TL:DR need a bounty system that includes outlaws, and Alpha island privlages.

woops ment to have only put 2 zones in the 100% safe area lol.. nvm big_smile

But ya i think a well thought out system will allow for some risk But a smart "carebear" who goes into more unsafe areas well prepared should have far less to worry about.
But as always balance must be struck.  Not every one who plays this game wants to be involved with PVP. All Islands outside of the 3 alpha 1 islands should present challenges to those who wish to live there. Now ignoring beta & gamma for a sec, Alpha 2 islands & lets say future alpha 3 island should present challenges to those who wish to live / play there. This should be thru a mix of Limited Unsafe areas AND a challenging / fun PVE aspects.

For instance an island might be as a whole 100% safe from pvp ganking, BUT new & nasty PNCs will be there to annoy you. Why would you live on an island like that? For the rewards!

Why would you leave a safe part of an island to venture out into a less safe area? for the rewards!

i feel a rework of islands & security that has been talked about so far in this thread could be interesting if implemented into the game. But i also feel it must coincide with more innovative game play for those who just want to enjoy the PVE aspects of this game.

But i understand doing this kind of thing will take a S**t load of work.

I encourage the devs to finish a job well b4 moving onto the next item smile

Edit: just on a side point. I was thinking by using missile firing police towers as the method for dealing with illegal pvping flight time from place of launch to target would provide a natural way for variance in reaction times to a crime.
From a none programmers POV lol it would seem easier for the server to register a crime, order the tower to lock that target & fire the missile. OR simple register target calculate distance from "launch tower" to target & then delaying his death for the appropriate amount of time.
(Personally i think seeing a missile launch & hit the target would be way more cooler:p )

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

27 (edited by Gremrod 2012-04-28 18:05:14)

I like the direction of the last couple posts. smile

I agree it would take a lot of work.....

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

I would really like to see the police tower system comming back with serious and persistant consequences, combined with logical restrictions regarding TRIAL agents.

consequences must affect your agents, but also your corps standing towards npcs corps of the place your did that.
that a new player has a big loss is a flaw in the system which can be resolved too wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

I would really like to see the police tower system comming back with serious and persistant consequences, combined with logical restrictions regarding TRIAL agents.

consequences must affect your agents, but also your corps standing towards npcs corps of the place your did that.
that a new player has a big loss is a flaw in the system which can be resolved too wink

I agree. If they did bring the police towers back it would need a positive / negative system that comes with it. Some type of rep system....

once the game grows up to a size where something like in EVE COULD happen, they can increase the security at the very inner areas (where the syndicate probably would have occupied all the buildings for example in tellesis weyster port area) and can provide a better protection.

after all, its a sandbox game, and i would expect that the more the human controlled areas expand, the more the big cities will grow and niani forces are replaced there with criminal human-faction-npc's wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Annihilator wrote:

Why bring the corp in to it anni?

Just wondering if one of your corpmates decided to gank me. Why should your corp suffer standing loss towards NPCs. Only the member that did the ganking is responsible not anyone in BKK but him.

Sorry I just see no logic in group punishment for the actions of an individual.

Anonymous: lobo is the only hero left in this god foresaken game / :also, Lobo is god among men
http://killboard.sequer.nl/?a=agent-his … mp;month=7 Best month 104 to 1 k/d

32 (edited by Annihilator 2012-04-29 11:29:52)

you are not in an alpha corp... so its a completely different issue.

a new player is part of the npc corps -> and if he leaves that one, he does it on his own risk.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Make the consequences however hard you want, that still won't help the poor guy who just got his first hard-earned Castel suicide-ganked.

Cause make no mistake: if the possibility is given, someone WILL do it.

QFT and +1.

PvP is good.  Griefing is not.  Pseudo-legitimised griefing is not.  Sandbox cannot translate into "anyone can do anything they want" unless you want a tiny niche game.  There are actions that may be good for a player or a corp that are not good for the game as a whole.  For example, if you have a small player population, using a huge corp to massacre a smaller one completely and drive them out of the game, while providing epeen, is counterproductive to the game's life and expansion.  I am not saying that such a thing has happened here, or necessarily would happen (I have only played for a couple of months), but it serves as an example.

My opinion; your mileage may vary: Note also that "sandbox = free choice" is a laughable illusion.  It's like saying that you can order anything you want in a restaurant.  You can-- if it is on the menu.  Some games have a large menu and players mistake that for free choice.  "Sandbox = realism" is an even more laughable illusion.  Real societies maintain their status quo and mercilessly crush "in your face" (unsubtle) criminals and those that would deprive the enfranchised.

Some games allow griefing, and players mistake that for "hardcore".  Hardcore, in my opinion, is taking large risks with opponents who know what they are doing and who can hurt you back, not suicide ganking some poor new player that has 10% of your capabilities and may not even understand all the mechanics.  Only my opinion, mind you, and players are free to do whatever the game allows.

Devs and game owners have to decide what is valid on the menu.  I support allowing the PvEers to worry about PvE risk in a "safe" zone.  Mind you, the corollary is that the PvE experience then has to be balanced as the Devs think is good for their game as well.

free pvp:

http://thenoobcomic.com/index.php?pos=303

there is one reason why totaly free pvp without save zones does not work:

because its a computer game, and ppl tend to abuse anything they can get a hold on especially when it gives them an advantage, or just for just small minded ppl that think they are great when they killed someone who had not the slightest chance from the very beginning. epen ftw.

the problem is that with the limitation of a computer game the ppl who do this dont have to fear real consequences. in real life there will be the police and the court so few of the "criminals" will get away with this. in a computer game the players will find and have the option to overcome the save mecanics (see steve) where you just sacrifice some lov tec *** to blow up cargo ships with expensive loot. this works in a computer game. but would this be a real world then they will wake up in thier new clone in handcuffs... or will never be able to set foot in hisec space ever again.
but we are in a computer game. that restrictions are not there. so ppl will always find this and abuse it.

so it is the best to keep it seperated. if ppl dont want any pvp then let them be. leave them their save zones so they can be happy. you want pvp. leave these save zones...

if you want the freedom to do everything you want. im fine with that. but then you have to bring a system that your actions have lasting consquences. and i havent seen any such a system yet. besides if it would be possible then it will be either very hard to build or so hard for you griefers that you will cry even more once you have comited your first crime...

no more has to be said...

Meridian59 has  sweet pvp mechanics, I havent played perp for awhile now because i belive the devs allow player corps to get to big and become anti PvP, I love pvp however when one corp is able to easily dominate it creates a state of join us or fail.

Haveing alot smaller numbers allowed in corps would create many more chances to pvp evenly as all corps would then have to fight it out to maintain control and this allows everyone to take part if they so wish.

Treetrunk wrote:

Meridian59 has  sweet pvp mechanics, I havent played perp for awhile now because i belive the devs allow player corps to get to big and become anti PvP, I love pvp however when one corp is able to easily dominate it creates a state of join us or fail.

Haveing alot smaller numbers allowed in corps would create many more chances to pvp evenly as all corps would then have to fight it out to maintain control and this allows everyone to take part if they so wish.

By large corps are you who are you referring to?

Because currently the "Largest Body" could arguably be stated as composed of a large number of (Alpha dwellers) who have come together in such mass they can act freely (relative term) on beta together.

Yet time and time again we see "Smaller" more "PvP" focused groups dropping the hammer on them.

If you havn't played for awhile what time frame or corp are you referring to so i know what your talking about because generally there was a reason that was much different than simply "biggest numbers" for why they were on "ToP" if you will.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Yes sheer numbers allowed in  a corp is what i mean,obviously if you have a corp tuned to only one aspect of game play they will inititally throw spears in the spokes so to speak, but being small also means acess to resources is limited and they have to adapt.

Its also more daunting for newer players to enter into the corp world if there are allready present HUGE corps that they find control acess to things they need to grow.

Shadowbane MMO is the perfect exsample of what happens to a good game with great gameplay and systems if player numbers in corps/guilds are allowed to be to big in a small game world like perp has.

Look at this:

At the beginning, players can't attack or being attacked at alpha until they raise their pvp flag. This flag, once being raised, remains in that state until you're manually lower it. There is a restriction - once you became says 40 days old you can't lower it anymore. On betas/gammas everything stays as it is.

Your loot on alpha can be taken only by players with the same flag state - if you was unflagged when you died, only unflagged players can get your loot and vice versa.

Oh, and yes - trials aren't allowed to raise flag.

Industrial Sector wrote:

Look at this:

At the beginning, players can't attack or being attacked at alpha until they raise their pvp flag. This flag, once being raised, remains in that state until you're manually lower it. There is a restriction - once you became says 40 days old you can't lower it anymore. On betas/gammas everything stays as it is.

Your loot on alpha can be taken only by players with the same flag state - if you was unflagged when you died, only unflagged players can get your loot and vice versa.

Oh, and yes - trials aren't allowed to raise flag.

Raises pirate flag, ARRR! yarr

I have allways been of the mindset that you can never have too many options in a MOO if the game has a simple logical way to get started and have fun, getting to know the finer points as you get more into it ect.

SWG was alot like that i was 6 months playing before i stumbled into the true genius of the game mechanics.

42 (edited by Lemon 2012-05-21 14:02:11)

Treetrunk wrote:

I have allways been of the mindset that you can never have too many options in a MOO if the game has a simple logical way to get started and have fun, getting to know the finer points as you get more into it ect.

SWG was alot like that i was 6 months playing before i stumbled into the true genius of the game mechanics.

Ok so i have seen you now post  2 more games and yet to state who or what corps or even the time period you were referring in your original post.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

oh sorry lemon,i meant to then got sidetracked.

about a year ago i guess i started playing perp,i did alot of reading while waiting hours for the updater which is still very slow, like 8+ hours since i downloaded it and its still going lol.

anyway my points were sort of about seeing the exact same set of issiues in another game i played and now in perp to so i just put my 2c in

DEV Zoom wrote:

But in all seriousness, in my opinion there HAS to be a place where you can feel absolutely safe. Suiciding a 0-day noob will hardly do any good for the game.

Amen bother, Amen!!!

Annihilator wrote:

haha, grem, you must be either trolling, or you have joined the game after m2s exploited the hell out of the gankability on ics-a back when it was still possible.

to bad the youtube footage got removed due to copyrighted music mixed in.

beta had around 50 active player at that moment, and from one day to the other the population was down to... 3 or 5 until hotfix of that.

I thought Grem was around for some of that, may be mistaken. But yeah, the real reason alpha became totally safe was because of just how much suicide ganking we did along with an endless list of police tower exploits we constantly found over and over again. I know a fair few players quit due to our ganks as well.

As to where I stand on this, well as you can imagine I "LOVE" to suicide gank, but I also see the issues behind it. I do think "something" needs to be done about 100% safe mining en'mass on alpha especially to curb afk/bot mining. (I think a deployable bomb on alpha with a 60sec charge up to warn non-bots/afkers would remove bots real fast.

Anyway, TLDR: I both want suicide ganks on alpha but without removing "real non-bot" players there. Let me know if someone figues out a way to do this.

Oldest player still in the game. Perpetuum for life.
Original Founder of M2S, may it rest in peace. sad
"Hungarian Math" is defined by the dictionary as "Just like normal math, but where each equation ends by dividing the sum by Potato."
-Shoutout to "Stranger Danger" for the "potato" comment.

Blackomen wrote:

Anyway, TLDR: I both want suicide ganks on alpha but without removing "real non-bot" players there. Let me know if someone figues out a way to do this.

bring back good roaming spawns to alpha. no really. a player that is even semi at his screen will see a swarm heading his way & move / call in corp mates to help.

Just on alpha have the roaming spawns move a little bit slower than they do on beta / gamma.

would this fix the bot (non realy) player issue. not 100% but it might help.

i remember when they were on alpha a few people did die to them when they left their mech afk on the field.

I am a strong believer that Alpha should be safe from pvp ganking. But you are still at risk from NPCs

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:
Blackomen wrote:

bring back good roaming spawns to alpha. no really. a player that is even semi at his screen will see a swarm heading his way & move / call in corp mates to help.

Just on alpha have the roaming spawns move a little bit slower than they do on beta / gamma.

i remember when they were on alpha a few people did die to them when they left their mech afk on the field.

I am a strong believer that Alpha should be safe from pvp ganking. But you are still at risk from NPCs

That could work as well. I'll still miss the suicide ganking, but that may be for the best in retaining new players.

Oldest player still in the game. Perpetuum for life.
Original Founder of M2S, may it rest in peace. sad
"Hungarian Math" is defined by the dictionary as "Just like normal math, but where each equation ends by dividing the sum by Potato."
-Shoutout to "Stranger Danger" for the "potato" comment.

Blackomen wrote:
Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:
Blackomen wrote:

That could work as well. I'll still miss the suicide ganking, but that may be for the best in retaining new players.

I don't think the roams on alpha were actually removed, I think they're just borked. Result is 100% safe mining though.

Tomorrows patch will fix the roams on alpha, which in conjunction with the ore spawning in random locations, will result in ore that is in safe spots, and ore that is right in the known roam paths.

The real problem with suicide ganks on alpha, opposed to NPC threat, is you can't avoid the suicide gank. If an NPC show on your screen, you can watch them to see if they are roaming your direction, if they are you can move. With players, it would make mining just about impossible if you had to try to move anytime a player showed on your screen; well actually it probably wouldn't even be worth moving, since the same adage would apply on alpha then as on beta - If your spotted your dead.

I like that there's a difference between eve and perp, in that there are non-pvp zones. But the roams need to be there too, because nothing should be completely safe with intentionaly applying risk management.

Arga wrote:

I like that there's a difference between eve and perp, in that there are non-pvp zones. But the roams need to be there too, because nothing should be completely safe with intentionaly applying risk management.

Agreed not completely safe with NPC threats, is the best way. In eve if you pay attention you can keep aligned, watching local chat and warp out to avoid player ganks.

RIP PERPETUUM

Blackomen wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

haha, grem, you must be either trolling, or you have joined the game after m2s exploited the hell out of the gankability on ics-a back when it was still possible.

to bad the youtube footage got removed due to copyrighted music mixed in.

beta had around 50 active player at that moment, and from one day to the other the population was down to... 3 or 5 until hotfix of that.

I thought Grem was around for some of that, may be mistaken.

I was there, and did a couple with you and Styx. smile