1 (edited by Burial 2012-03-15 06:47:19)

Topic: Faction Invasions - Instanced long missions from Alpha

(First of all, the time is 4:22 AM here so my brain has turned itself off hours ago.)

As we all know, currently the missions are still quite pointless on alpha. Anything remotely worthwhile is done on beta and a lot of players dare not enter these areas. In return, people on Alpha are out of worthwhile things to do.

In a nutshell, my idea is the following...
People either solo or as a squad would accept a special type of mission for either of the factions, after which, they would go to an area(either on the same island or somewhere else) where they would find a launch pad/teleporter/anything-that-fits-the-lore that teleports them to their mission area. Mission area would be a special area made just for the mission. It would be opposite faction area where the player or the squad would find action for hour(s), many faction NPCs and so on. It could purely be killing or it could also have other stuff to do.

These faction attacks would be focused on the higher EP players who prefer to live on Alpha and want to earn living that way.

The rewards could be:
- Faction tokens
- Beacons
- Items from the faction NPC's (I can hear the screams of manufacturers)

BUT IT IS A SANDBOX GAME!
Of course it is not a pure sandboxy idea but I believe that Alpha islands do not have to be sandboxes. Those that do want to play in pure sandboxes have beta islands and soon they will also have gamma islands. People who usually are on Alpha are either new players or guys who will not move to beta ever. Why cut them off from the game?

Re: Faction Invasions - Instanced long missions from Alpha

Burial wrote:

BUT IT IS A SANDBOX GAME!
Of course it is not a pure sandboxy idea but I believe that Alpha islands do not have to be sandboxes. Those that do want to play in pure sandboxes have beta islands and soon they will also have gamma islands. People who usually are on Alpha are either new players or guys who will not move to beta ever. Why cut them off from the game?

+1 on op...

But i am sick of that sandbox story!
SANDBOX IS NOT BETA ISLANDS... Sandbox is box with all kind of players(from griefers to industrials over carebaers)... Without strong alpha there is no beta!

I am pised off ,because all the time you have "few" people who want everything on BETA,so they can get easy kill!
Second, devs are behave like they have 15 000 online in some tz pick time!
Alpha is for living and beta is for fun! Beta should be optional in first time,and when game grow up,then put focus on BETA!

When poeple will realize that?

Sandboxes are allowed to have some themepark stuff in them too!

Like assignments, for example.

I like this idea, similar to Rift's zone invasions. +1

Cool idea, this would be fun to group up and do. And it fits with the games lore and does not necessarily violate anything sandbox about the game.

I think the recent mission improvements are good, but it will be hard to improve this type of PvE more without instancing.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

generaly a good idea. but i think similar suggestions have been here some time ago.

anyway i think thinks like this (lolo and alpha content) should be the next big thing after gamma is done and running fine.

Bad idea.  Swtor is that way.... you can get a green pet dudê who farms for you!

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

yeah we talked a lot of public type invasions of NPCs coming for the terminal and if everyone worked together to defend the attack the terminal would get some type of bonus. of course this was talked about back in closed beta etc.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

We did get an Island opening type event, where Protector bots where stationed around terminals and had to be killed before it was safe to start using them.

Rift was specifically built with invasions in mind, and the tool set allowed them to dynamically adjust based on zone populations, and to manually generate invasions.

I doubt Perp has this type of tool set, and while having the devs spend a couple days (or week) setting up a single invasion type event sounds exciting, a week is a lot of effort for a one time event that maybe only a few hundred players will experience.

BUMPing this thread, now that carebearing is becoming more and more relevant. smile

Still a Bad Idea and goes aganist the sandbox theme.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

"Instanced..." *** no!
Instances are for personal storyline - look at Guild Wars 2. Use your head, say "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" to this ***!

"you're not in an MMO to make friends, you're there to make enemies smile"

doesnt that other game, that is a 1:1 rip-off copy of perpetuum fuuu, have instances?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

doesnt that other game, that is a 1:1 rip-off copy of perpetuum fuuu, have instances?

No instances in stEVE. What you would assume as instances can be scanned down, meaning all players can get involved or interfere.

RIP PERPETUUM

They are still instanced areas in EVE, just cleverly disguised.. just like PLEX is cleverly disguised RWT.

there would be a way without instances, but the reward system would need lots of work. I already hinted to it with my little story in open discussion now: but how about an island lead by the syndicate, reachable by anyone anytime that combines alphas PvE with Gammas PBS?

Uh just to name the main features of it:

• mixture of Gamma buildings and Alpha mechanics

• three islands for each Nian faction: Pelistal, Nuimqol, Thelodica

• island width: two connected islands (cut may be easier if only a mountain path / sea path connects those two parts)

• two bases (Nian | Syndicate) build up with buildings from PBS

• island can be entered by anyone anytime (no instances)

• no epriton other than on market

• buildings: standard buildings, can be upgraded;
    are not completely destroyable but after a loosing too many HP they need to be repaired to function;
    buildings not in mainbase need to be activated first before usable

• mixture of static spawns, roams/patrouls and attacker waves

• great range of difficulty, the nearer to Nian base the harder the enemy (at their base even observer officer groups)

• reward system: extended syndicate supply (production of items to be sold only to syndicate supply; plasma changeable to tokens; recieving tokens for activating/repairing/upgrading buildings, killing officers, invading enemy base, selling island special isotope; possibility to buy decoders, syndicate item CT of higher tiers, ...)

ups gettting too much into it again, may need an own topic for that...