1 (edited by Burial 2012-03-13 15:49:40)

Topic: Perpetuum ladder system discussion

For some time I've had this idea of coding a website that would display different ladders in Perpetuum, for example, light bot ladder, mech ladder, 2vs2 mech ladder and so on. It would be very similar to some of the FPS(and other) competition sites like http://clanbase.ggl.com/ to name a one.

The features I want it to have right off the bat:
> User registration.
> Elo rating system.
> Ladder system: Displaying ranking, challenging, results posting.
> Teams

The fights would be probably done on Alpha islands and the location would be decided by the participants. Rule abiding should probably be done by a referee althought it is still in the air.

I am good with HTML, CSS and jQuery and semi-decent with PHP and MySQL. I would like to find a likely minded people who want to contribute and help Perpetuum grow as this could blow some wind into the game. I would really like and prefer it to be as an open source community project where multiple people contribute and help the project grow.

If you feel like you could help out either with coding or ideas, be sure to write them here or join my ingame friend chat "Burial" for further discussion. I am euro but I will be online for a fairly long time!

Re: Perpetuum ladder system discussion

the idea is nice and not realy difficult to do with your skills.

the bigger problem is to hold the matches and keep track of them. because you can not automate that like in a fps. for that you would need a ingame arena that works on its own with outo tracking. nad that would be a lot of work for the devs.

I have thought of that and to keep things as small-scale and safe as possible, a volunteer referee should be used with most of the matches, by most, I mean these that have some rules to follow - like equipment, bot and so on. The spot would be picked by two on the Alpha island and the referee would track who wins and looses and updates the match results after that with additional information(maybe a youtube video or killmail link). It has its obvious faults of course!

As of right now, I believe it would be the best way to do it. If anyone has any better ideas, please tell.

Well there is an arena in game already. The devs would just need to make it an automated arena for sign up and can't move out of spawn area until match starts etc.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

5 (edited by Zarash 2012-03-14 19:45:44)

In Starfleet Command when I played there was a ranking system. The 2 players that were involved went to the site and posted if they won or loss. Its just a matter of people being honest and posting there wins and losses. Maybe have a few people witness that way it keeps the honest people honest.

that works until jasdemi reactivates his account...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Why can't we make it community driven? Do you know someone who could code such website and host it?

"you're not in an MMO to make friends, you're there to make enemies smile"

-1 Bad Idea.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.