1 (edited by eFlame 2012-03-13 17:07:25)

Topic: Variety in Probes

It would be nice to have a variety of probes with different benefits.

What I propose is:
[To existing probes]
Implement the ability for probes to be affected by interference
Increase HP to to the same amount of HP  that a fully grown fully healthy wall has.
Increase cost of Probe to = Cost of Bomb (because a bomb would equal an instant probe death; the "investment" of the attacking corp should be roughly equal to the "investment" of the defending corp per probe)

This would give probes some defence, decrease the "blow it up" motive and increase the jam (with interference emitters) / neut it strategy

[New Disposable Probe Type]

Make a new probe type which is harder to find (masking closer to the initial implementation's value)
Cheaper (eg. 250k - 500k nic)
everything else is the same as the current probe with the exception that these probes have a time limit on them (eg. 2 hours then they explode a result of the over clocking the masking component of the probe to unsustainable levels)

just a thought gives a bit more diversity to the probes dynamic and strategy in their use.

* changed AP to HP to avoid confusion

Re: Variety in Probes

eFlame wrote:

[To existing probes]
Implement the ability for probes to be affected by interference
Increase AP to to the same amount of AP that a fully grown fully healthy wall has.

My first reaction was this. Zoom will like to fix it, because ZERO DEV time necessary to implement this *hint*
AP = accumulator points. how much accumulator does a wall have, and what does it do with it?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

oh anni im pretty sure he talks about HP or Armor Points...

but in general i think he is right. probes are totlay useless atm because you can only use them within the 3000m radius of a outpost so they can be protected by a wall. and without a wall they are useless because the will be blown up after half a day.
and btw  probe 3000m close to the outpost will not realy be much of use anyway...

walls and probes are pretty much useless and broken atm...

Probes without walls are not totally useless.  What happened in the old days| or yesterday when an arkhe on the gate was shot and destroyed?  You had to run your little arkhe *** back to the gate.  Now.  You jump in see a probe shoot at it move along... you just have to run back and put a probe back there.  Instead of invincible eyes on a choke point with walls now you got to be paying attention to what the probe sees immediately and if it gets drained. 

Probes have not and should never replace a good set of signal detectors.  Probes should not give a player more then 5 mins to decide to dock up assests or safe log.  I'm not saying we should embrace the ghanking of miners but when it's time for "war" situations the only ones going to be strong enough to seige a beta island was the ones sitting behind it with minimal risk to their industry and the most determined of course. 

Just my two cents, because even though I use it, the use of log out traps and keeping people strategically placed in areas is not my idea of fun pvp.  Even though I use it that way in order to keep pressure on Industry which is the number 1 way to one up on your opponent.  I would prefer to be shooting back at something that likewise exchanged ammo with me.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

ville, probs are way too expensive to replace them all the time. lower the cost to 5k nic and i agree. but needing 5-10 mil a day is not aceptable. bewsides the gate scout with alts or trial agents as it was used all the time can not be called a good system. its just annoying. probes and walls were a usefull solution...

maybe armored probes can be another way.

And you think two bombs are cheap?

did i say that?
but with out walls the brobes will be dead with 1 shot.. not 2 bombs.

8 (edited by eFlame 2012-03-13 17:31:41)

change so that armoured probes cannot be placed 3k from station then they can't be walled off and protected they would have to rely on the HP of the probe itself as defence (keep in mind OP suggests increasing the HP of a armoured probe to that of a fully grown and healthy wall). This limit would not affect disposable probes.

would this remove the 2 bombs to kill 1 probe issue without introducing new ones?

I'm happy with the change it opened up a little more pvp for the light bots.