Topic: Walls

I understand there are probably several strings with "walls" as their subject but as this effect my own game playing   I thought it deserved one on its own.

The walls have destroyed pvp in this game and taken away my main motivation to play it. They are over powered and have made parts of beta as safe as alpha.

I'lll hang around for a bit to see if things improve - if they do not then you have lost another account, which is a shame because I rather enjoy it.. The walls need to be a very temporary barrier to give an edge I would say, but at the moment if you look at Alsbalse which is sinking under the weight of proximity probes and walls it is a different story. It is clear that you have good ideas but you introduce them too fast with unfortunate consequences, balance is everything and we seem to be going up and down like a yoyo atm.

Givit

Re: Walls

I agree that walls are too permanent and too expensive / time consuming to destroy. Combined this with proximity probes and I beleive they become very OP as well.

Would like to see the whole system reballanced.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Walls are a complete joke. I am genuinely amazed that the developers have persisted with making them so overpowered.

One of the worst pieces of game design I have seen in a couple of decades of gaming.

Walls need changes to be a temporary barrier as Hardbaby said, or just remove until you find a solution. We all make mistakes, and creating 'tools on a sandbox that is balanced is not an easy thing to do specially if it just been rushed and introduced into a live server as I would assume it was.

RIP PERPETUUM

-1 Walls are fine as is.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

+1 Walls are making spontaneous pvp impracticle, and worse, making it so you do not actually have to actively scout and defend your territory, just have enough walls and probes to give you time to dock.

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

I am still seeing pvp and easy ghanks even with walls.  It's called patiences young grasshopper, patiences.

No the Walls are not the problem.

The problem is when we start seeing over 25+ Probes on a single island.

Walling is mutually beneficial for defense as it is for offence, either side can manipulate walls to there advantage. I will state that players can wall to "Prevent" pvp by sealing them selves in as i have seen and proceeded to gank them the only thing they did was buy time and not enough of it.

There are ways to deal with probes with a small force or solo. Where you run in to issues is when a single island hits the double digits in probage and you dont have the flexability to go elsewhere.

I will state that Alsbale with out the walls would no longer exist as they are the only decent population active on beta and the target of everyone with Alpha to Beta attacks.

Walls arn't fun when your trying to fly in from alpha and get a free a kill or weekend warrior your way to some action but for a group of players that is very limited to there options of obtaining pvp to simply defending i see no reason to penalize them for setting up ample defense.

However there are means to deal with and get around a number of probes but i am begining to notice a level exceeding a manageable amount of probes on certain islands. You may as well stick a "kill-me" sign on my back with a little red blimb saying here i am.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Wall-plants should be removed completely. They ruined whatever gameplay we had before their introduction. And didn't introduce anyting in exchange. (Unless you consider mining epriton in a walled box a gameplay improvement.)

Probes without walls don't pose a problem.

10 (edited by Sundial 2012-03-05 19:08:25)

Mark Zima wrote:

Wall-plants should be removed completely. They ruined whatever gameplay we had before their introduction. And didn't introduce anyting in exchange. (Unless you consider mining epriton in a walled box a gameplay improvement.)

Probes without walls don't pose a problem.

Maybe there should be a restriction on placing probes close to walls.

That would basically make them an early likely one time use warning system.

There needs to be a counter walls / probes. And no, neuting doesn't work because they are never in LOS.

Walls / Probes are not overpowered by themselves, they are just overpowered when used together.

I shouldn't have to rely on logon traps in order to kill people.

Also I think there should be more restrictions on walls (If I recall on IRC CRM suggested they might only allow walls within 5000m of an outpost or something like that)

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

i was having a (certainly poor) idea how to balance a bit walls and probes. That would prevent gretly wall spamming, and would restore pvp:

Add a pvp tag to OPs. When a walls segment is destroyed, the OP in the same area forbid the docking in, only docking out is possible during a set timer. That would need some other rules, like making field can available for anyone passed 10mn of inactivity or something like that. No more easy epriton mining then....
But it certainly could be abused to grief...  anyhow i feel like there something to work on this way.

12 (edited by Grazskin 2012-03-05 21:38:14)

what you idiots refer to as pvp is simply just janking. Walls have done nothing but protect industry, which you elites rode the back of to climb the kill board.

Instead you guys want to run through an island with 10+ MK2 Mechs, and smash the 3-4 people doing something on Beta outside of looting SAP and running back to alpha.

These are the same people that cry theres no pvp from within ICS Alpha terminal.

you want pvp then live on beta and stay their, and stop your damn crying.

Instead of nian...rebellions...whatever alliance.  You should have called yourselves the United miner and wall builders coalition.

Grazskin wrote:

what you idiots refer to as pvp is simply just janking. Walls have done nothing but protect industry, which you elites rode the back of to climb the kill board.

Instead you guys want to run through an island with 10+ MK2 Mechs, and smash the 3-4 people doing something on Beta outside of looting SAP and running back to alpha.

These are the same people that cry theres no pvp from within ICS Alpha terminal.

Ever considered protecting your own miners instead of having walls to do it for you?

Dazamin wrote:
Grazskin wrote:

Ever considered protecting your own miners instead of having walls to do it for you?

Should have gave this advice to your corp mates yesterday.

16 (edited by Grazskin 2012-03-05 22:24:36)

Ville wrote:

Instead of nian...rebellions...whatever alliance.  You should have called yourselves the United miner and wall builders coalition.

Coming from you that's rich Ville.....cough Karapyth Cough. I also think there are more direct routes to Fort Douglas then there is to Danarchov

Grazskin wrote:
Ville wrote:

Coming from you that's rich Ville.....cough Karapyth Cough. I also think there are more direct routes to Fort Douglas then there is to Danarchov

Think about it: they are in combat with RG wich is on the very same island as them. No other Corp on the Server is that. Not even the vocal "Anti blob"-corps here.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

18 (edited by Ville 2012-03-06 00:30:43)

Annihilator wrote:
Grazskin wrote:
Ville wrote:

Think about it: they are in combat with RG wich is on the very same island as them. No other Corp on the Server is that. Not even the vocal "Anti blob"-corps here.

Damnit Anni, you beat me too it!

Oh a plus note, since I know how high your Alliance Leader...hahaha... gets while trying to mine epriton.  Not really worried about diplomatic relations with the United Miners and Wall Builders Coalition.

Glider skill. Introduce new class of light/assault glider bots to hop dem dar wallz. Also, make a stealthy bot with high masking. Something.

Add Add Add, not remove remove remove.

And while at it Devs, add some players and some advertising. I'm coming to believe that most all current game problems start with the low population. There is no sense designing and changing this game based on the interaction of a handful of fellas.

If you think walls are a problem wait until people start making cliffs and valley mazes with PBS.

Sparking to other games

20 (edited by Grazskin 2012-03-06 03:16:30)

Ville wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Grazskin wrote:

Damnit Anni, you beat me too it!

Oh a plus note, since I know how high your Alliance Leader...hahaha... gets while trying to mine epriton.  Not really worried about diplomatic relations with the United Miners and Wall Builders Coalition.

Seriously,

fighting RG is your excuse....hahaha

2 nights a week you get a fight, and if you don't want to fight just stay clear of teleports. RG spend more time logged out then in game then anyone.

I just thought is was funny that ville complained about someone else walls....when the *** completely wall off karapyth and had to teleport into once on island.

Talk about calling the kettle black.

I also find it funny that I am insulting him and all he can do is insult everyone except me.... good one Ville that hurt.

Don'y get me wrong I like to see RG loss that station, only corp I know that plays 4 hours a week and keep there station.

STC being RG's new canon fodder is more of a threat then RG themselves.

I just thought is was funny that ville complained about someone else walls....when the *** completely wall off karapyth and had to teleport into once on island.

Some player seem to be able to learn something and adopt - and change their opinioin based on what they have learned. All those complaining about walls are kinda wrong placed in an evolving MMOG.

You weekend warriors - with the "NIC has no meaning, we got endless amount of it" - why do you complain that bombs are to expensive? I think it takes far less time and effort to wreak havok to many walls then it takes to build them up....

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

22 (edited by Celebro 2012-03-06 16:05:07)

Annihilator wrote:

Some player seem to be able to learn something and adopt - and change their opinioin based on what they have learned. All those complaining about walls are kinda wrong placed in an evolving MMOG.

You weekend warriors - with the "NIC has no meaning, we got endless amount of it" - why do you complain that bombs are to expensive? I think it takes far less time and effort to wreak havok to many walls then it takes to build them up....

Anni- The main problem in not the cost of plasma bombs or the effort in destroying walls, its just simply NOT PVP. Actually it's PVE to blow them up, and the numbers in General Chat speaks for its self. Not surprising that killing PVP just kills the engine of the whole economy hence the slow market, as fewer players are losing stuff.

CCP showed players the door back in summer. AV is showing us the wall. Walls add nothing to the game it just breaks it.  Walls shouldn't replace a decent defence of PVP players.

RIP PERPETUUM

23 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2012-03-06 16:26:32)

Celebro wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

Anni- The main problem in not the cost of plasma bombs or the effort in destroying walls, its just simply NOT PVP. Actually it's PVE to blow them up, and the numbers in General Chat speaks for its self. Not surprising that killing PVP just kills the engine of the whole economy hence the slow market, as fewer players are losing stuff.

CCP showed players the door back in summer. AV is showing us the wall. Walls add nothing to the game it just breaks it.  Walls shouldn't replace a decent defence of PVP players.

And on top of that, the idea of going to another island is to get a fight.  Even if you bring bombs, by the time you blow thru at least 3-4 walls, requiring 2 bombs each, everything and everybody on that island has docked up or logged off.

Island defense drives pvp.  You have assets in the field, miners and farmers.  A hostile force shows up, and the alarm goes out.  What should happen at that point is the defenders of that island form up to repell those hostiles and defend their assets.  Instead, even with time to gather forces due to the walls. most just dock up.  Should such a group be on beta?  If you cannot defend yourselves, you need to recruit and train, not build more walls, you should be able to get a defense force up that can at least harass that enemy, not build more walls or depend on walls to give you enough time to safe up.

Lets be honest here, why do you think Hokk has few walls?  Because we scout and actively defend our island with pvp mechs, not with walls.  Yes, we have a few strategic walls, and yes we use probes, but during our main hours, soon as we see a probe go off, we form up and fight.  Walls, as they currently are, are a crutch, compensation for a lack of a security force, to try and generate an enviroment as risk free as possible for those unable to defend themselves, and as such, actually weaken that islands forces, because they do not have to actively defend their territory gaining experience and confidence to be able to deal with hostile incursions.

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

And on top of that, the idea of going to another island is to get a fight.  Even if you bring bombs, by the time you blow thru at least 3-4 walls, requiring 2 bombs each, everything and everybody on that island has docked up or logged off.

So, by not having the walls, you think you'll get those same people to fight?

They don't want a fight.

They are using thier ecomomic power to buy protection, walls and probes are not free. This game isn't always about combat PVP. If you want to combat thier defenses, then you'll have to fight on thier terms, economically (by spending NIC on bombs).

Your never going to get that fight though, best you'll do is drive them off beta. But it will be players that do it at a cost, and not by complaining on the forums about walls being too powerful.

Tl;dr - I want to play "this way", anything that stops me is OP.

What the heck are they doing in Beta if they don't want to fight? Go back to alpha that's the no PVP zone that was made specifically for those that want to avoid PVP ,which is fine. Right now beta is just consensual PVP with the walls.

RIP PERPETUUM