1 (edited by Kaldenines 2012-02-24 17:50:45)

Topic: make walls + (plus) shaped

Currently bots are able to walk between diagonally adjacent wall tiles.  This looks ridiculous as the robot appears to pass through a solid wall.  Also, rectangular wall blocks are not the most aesthetically pleasing features on the landscape.  Both of these issues could be addressed by simply changing to wall model to be shaped like a plus "+" sign.

Example 1: horrizontally adjacent tiles, impassible wall

+++++++++++++   

(you have to imagine that the plus signs are touching eachother

Example 2: diagonally adjacent tiles, passible wall

+++++
++++++

(again you have to imagine the pluses being closer together, draw it out on some grid paper if you can't see it)

Octagons could work as well and may actually look better (but its easier to explain with pluses).

Note this would not affect movement in any way other than making diagonal passages a little easier to spot on the landscape (but not the radar).

+1
-Confucius

Re: make walls + (plus) shaped

The wall model isn't bad but I has expected something more like this rather than just a blocky pillar.

I must be missing something here, cause I don't quite understand how would + shaped walls be more "aesthetically pleasing" than a simple square?

As for passing diagonal gaps, you're supposed to fill those smile

Octagons would help noticing the gaps indeed, but it would be confusing regarding LOS, since that's tile based.

edit: ah i think i got it how you mean the + shape, like a fat +. There would be still the LOS issue though. And the time to remodel every phase and destruction animation... smile

I wouldn't like plus shaped wall units, but octagons would be fine.

RIP PERPETUUM

I think I'd like octagons as well. And perhaps Octagon walls could seal those corner gaps that are currently passable.

I am torn, though on whether I like the passable corner gaps in walls. Some one with a good imagination could create their own little maze of passable and impassable corners. So that what seems impassable to one is in fact passable to another.

Nah, just close those gaps ...with octagons. They cause too may problems esthetically and it really is kinda silly to pass through Them.

Sparking to other games

6 (edited by Kaldenines 2012-02-24 22:55:07)

Ok, I'm no expert on 3d modelling but is it really that hard to turn a rectangle into an octagon?  Can't you just re-use the same textures on a different shape?

As for line of sight, you can already shoot through the diagonal, I'm not sure what you are trying to say about that.

+1
-Confucius

The growth phases have unique tops on them, that would need to be remodeld into octs.

Oh, I think I understand the LOS issue with walls. Technically no tile between the diagonals to block anything. You can't create rule that two diagonal obstacles block all 4 of adjacent tiles? Maybe not. Damn those tile constrains!!!

Sparking to other games

Kaldenines wrote:

As for line of sight, you can already shoot through the diagonal, I'm not sure what you are trying to say about that.

You can? Hm, weird.

with + shaped walls you could stand on each side of the + shape and shoot eachother thus destroying even the +++++++++++++++++++++++++ shaped walls

Industrial Junkie

11 (edited by Kaldenines 2012-02-25 00:01:15)

Tamas, maybe I didn't make it clear in my original post but this would be a cosmetic change only.  You wouldn't be able to stand inside a wall tile any more than you can now.

Also octagons would look nicer.  + is just an easier concept to grasp imo.

+1
-Confucius

I think the Pen is wall shape should be mandatory, for the "what what in the butt logo"

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.