1 (edited by Sundial 2012-02-23 17:07:56)

Topic: Disable passwords for beta field containers

On alpha, its fine your field cans are safe from these "evil griefiers"

But on beta how does it make sense that you can put down 2000u of stuff in an invincible can that is not destructible or lootable if you do not defend it from your enemy? The only thing they really can do is sit on it and make it dissapear.

No there was no particular recent incident that triggered me posting this, I just feel its rather silly for field containers to behave the same way on PvP islands as on PvE ones. Last time I checked this was the case and I beleive it is still.

Discuss.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

2 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2012-02-23 17:19:23)

Re: Disable passwords for beta field containers

The greifing potential is still there.  If you have sufficient force to drive off the can owers, then you can deny them the contents of the can, even though you cannot take those contents yourself.  Killing the can owers, you still get their drop contents.  But there is no reason for cans to function differently on beta than on alpha.  On beta, you you have to defend the can and the assets on the field to keep what is in it, otherwise the contents can be denied to you.

However, I see nothing wrong with creating multiple catagories of cans, secure and unsecure, with increased cost.  A secured can, password protected, would cost more than an unsecured.  Also, cans having unlimited capacity is just insane, there should be different size cans, from small to enormous, unsecured and secured, with increasing costs as to size.

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

However, I see nothing wrong with creating multiple catagories of cans, secure and unsecure, with increased cost.  A secured can, password protected, would cost more than an unsecured.  Also, cans having unlimited capacity is just insane, there should be different size cans, from small to enormous, unsecured and secured, with increasing costs as to size.

Yeah, sounds exactly like EVE.

But even in EVE you can destroy secure containers if I am not mistaken.

I think we both can agree though the the current can mechanics leave a good bit to be desired.

Personally, at least for beta, I think I'd like destroyable cans that drop loot in the same way as destroyed bots do. I mean they should have a respectable amount of hp (no drivebys with a couple of light EWars destroying a can). In fact even destroyable with no loot would be preferable to the "Hey lets sit here for 15mins to make sure the guy can't get his can"

hmmm, destroyable container... i think we had that when they have been introduced....

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Make feild containers like loot cans. Increase the duration to 20 min, they lock for 15 min, then they unlock for the last 5.

no

Alexadar wrote:

no

Care to elaborate?

-1 to no passwords on cans,  I can think of all kinds of ways to exploit this.

+1 to allowing cans to be killed ... should have at least 15K HP or some where around the level of a destruction sap.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

+1 for being able to shoot cans open (on beta).

+1
-Confucius

+1

Everything is so safe.  +1 for less safe things

Less hp's and tiny hit size. That way it won't take an ewar 100 years to blast one open, but medium weapons won't one shot them.

Shoot can's open, or destroy them?

Using guns/lasers/missles as lockpicks doesn't sound that safe, better at least have a chance of destroying the can, and getting nothing.

Arga wrote:

Less hp's and tiny hit size. That way it won't take an ewar 100 years to blast one open, but medium weapons won't one shot them.

Shoot can's open, or destroy them?

Using guns/lasers/missles as lockpicks doesn't sound that safe, better at least have a chance of destroying the can, and getting nothing.

I would use the same mechanic as killing a bot and him dropping loot, can destroyed 50/50 chance on items, I mean you open a can with missiles something will probably get dmg'd smile

- 1 for can drop content .
Having the possibility to loot a part of can is in most case identical to allow the roaming group to get as much epi/noralgis as they can carry. I'm not in pvp since wall come into game, but before we had a clear favorite of roams vs miners, as you are better off in attack than in defend in most cases.

15 (edited by Karism 2012-02-24 08:44:28)

+1 to when the can is below a certain time left it unlocks. (Arga's suggestion)

-1 to being unlocked by default or being destroyable.

Remember you can use a cargo scanner to see what is inside locked cans, so its not like you couldn't tell whether sticking around for a can to open would be worth it.

Think of it as a kind of mini-event in Pvp like a sap, roaming gang comes across a mining/farming squad on  beta, either kills them or they get away, and the can is left, lets say it has a decent amount of something nice stuff in there, like epriton/kernals/decoders/noralgis/etc, which is discovered via a cargo scanner, the gang then has to defend the can for the next X amount of time to get at the stuff inside (maybe bring haulers in from elsewhere), which give a little bit of motavation besides waiting for it to pop to deny the original owners of their loot/minerals.

still in most cases nobody would bring a scarab to a hostile pvp island just to get some can loot. yes some pirate ppl might think of this as a good idea. but in general it will olny bring more grief. miners are prey to any pvp. why give them more? i dont see a reason. kill the hauler that gets there to collect it if you want loot. and then bring yours to get it. this is enough... if you cant be patient then its your problem.

To those qqing about Miners being easy prey for PvPers. DEFEND YOUR MINERS!!!!!! If you don't, they should be easy prey, and the can should be lootable in the same way the mining bot itself is. The argument here is nothing to do with what makes sense, it sounds like you feel theres something wrong with miners being killed, and therefore the nasty ppl that do it shouldn't be rewarded..................

Dazamin - did you ever see what someone can do with your field can contents after he has hacked the pw?

pull - delete - pull - delete - pull - delete .... im sure thats an easy macro to do.

it doesn't even need a single round fired to destroy the content of a field can.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Dazamin wrote:

To those qqing about Miners being easy prey for PvPers. DEFEND YOUR MINERS!!!!!! If you don't, they should be easy prey, and the can should be lootable in the same way the mining bot itself is. The argument here is nothing to do with what makes sense, it sounds like you feel theres something wrong with miners being killed, and therefore the nasty ppl that do it shouldn't be rewarded..................

Annihilator wrote:

Dazamin - did you ever see what someone can do with your field can contents after he has hacked the pw?

pull - delete - pull - delete - pull - delete .... im sure thats an easy macro to do.

it doesn't even need a single round fired to destroy the content of a field can.

Dazamin wrote:

wink

if you come with 10 ppl to find a container so give everybody in your squad 1000 numbers to try. so you can open the continer in a reasonable ammount of time for sure. or even fast if you are lucky or the owner is stupid enough to use a stupid code. (like 1234.. oh wait thats my code. and change the code on my container at once!)

I like the destroying cans idea the most, I have no desire to wait at someones deployable can for 10 minutes when I can:

a. blow up their teleporters
b. blow up their bombs
c. blow up pretty much anything they can deploy

Cans should not be totally safe. Also just the concept of them being invincible + unlimited storage is just odd to say the least.

Sundial wrote:

I like the destroying cans idea the most, I have no desire to wait at someones deployable can for 10 minutes when I can:

a. blow up their teleporters
b. blow up their bombs
c. blow up pretty much anything they can deploy

Cans should not be totally safe. Also just the concept of them being invincible + unlimited storage is just odd to say the least.

Yeah this is the main thing, it just doesn't make any sense, and works in a opposite way to almost everything else in game. Also, random standing around is no fun on SAPs and unlikely to be any better on cans.

try 1111 works for most stc.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.