Re: Walls: not as advertised

Why QQ about all the QQ'ing QQ'ers?

Jasdemi wrote:

1/10 for un-originality

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:
Jasdemi wrote:

1/10 for un-originality

Sorry, I was still sleepy.

I like trains.

I see this thread going places.

+1 to Nerf

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

DEV Zoom wrote:

Walls don't have an owner, so we can't simply reimburse those who ask for it. It would be only possible if we removed ALL deployed walls from every island, but I very much doubt everyone would agree with that.

Maintenance is now a massive time sink as well as a small NIC sink.

This is true, and we are currently working on an idea to reverse that ratio, making it more of a NIC sink and less of a time sink. The idea is a new deployable wall maintenance device, which will repair walls in a fixed radius. However the device can only repair a fixed amount of overall HP, so if there are many damaged walls in its effect radius, it will deplete its reserves faster and you will possibly need to deploy more of it to fully repair all the walls. The device will have a relatively short lifetime during which it performs its work, so it will only provide a lockable target for enemies for that time.

We will also make two other changes in the next patch affecting walls:
1. Interference emitter modules will have a LOS check for deployment.
2. Walls will only start to decay in their last few growth phases.

+1 to removing walls and reimbursing the NIC cost.  I suggest this simply on the basis of what I think is good for the game in the longer run.  Perhaps you can rethink what restrictions walls should have on beta and then reintroduce the feature or perhaps do it later on gamma only?

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." -- Bill Cosby

It seems you pleased a guy in TOG who only now discovered that you can have fun on beta (welcome to the game, why did you think so many were playing it and living on beta before?) and pissed off just about everybody else.  Perhaps its time to stop throwing good development time after bad and reconsider how this wall feature should work (I know you guys have limited resources but you are turning your live server into a beta test).

+1
-Confucius

Kaldenines wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

Walls don't have an owner, so we can't simply reimburse those who ask for it. It would be only possible if we removed ALL deployed walls from every island, but I very much doubt everyone would agree with that.

Maintenance is now a massive time sink as well as a small NIC sink.

This is true, and we are currently working on an idea to reverse that ratio, making it more of a NIC sink and less of a time sink. The idea is a new deployable wall maintenance device, which will repair walls in a fixed radius. However the device can only repair a fixed amount of overall HP, so if there are many damaged walls in its effect radius, it will deplete its reserves faster and you will possibly need to deploy more of it to fully repair all the walls. The device will have a relatively short lifetime during which it performs its work, so it will only provide a lockable target for enemies for that time.

We will also make two other changes in the next patch affecting walls:
1. Interference emitter modules will have a LOS check for deployment.
2. Walls will only start to decay in their last few growth phases.

+1 to removing walls and reimbursing the NIC cost.  I suggest this simply on the basis of what I think is good for the game in the longer run.  Perhaps you can rethink what restrictions walls should have on beta and then reintroduce the feature or perhaps do it later on gamma only?

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." -- Bill Cosby

It seems you pleased a guy in TOG who only now discovered that you can have fun on beta (welcome to the game, why did you think so many were playing it and living on beta before?) and pissed off just about everybody else.  Perhaps its time to stop throwing good development time after bad and reconsider how this wall feature should work (I know you guys have limited resources but you are turning your live server into a beta test).

I'm sorry but I'm really getting tired of this...every patch deal where someone makes a mistake, the mistake here was spamming walls thinking for some insane reason that they wouldn't get nerfed, and then wants the mistake to be taken back by the Dev's. 

Really, Kentablob isn't THAT stupid, if they couldn't see that one coming they deserved what they got.  Really, how in the hell didn't.

Nor is the rest of the server, if you would talk with any person that has played the game for sometime you would understand that a nerf was coming, yet we all wana look the other way and cry wolf...stop playing stupid, as that game got old along time ago.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011

This isn't about Kentagura.  Its about removing walls from the game because the mechanic makes for a lot of dull gameplay.

+1
-Confucius

Kaldenines wrote:

This isn't about Kentagura.  Its about removing walls from the game because the mechanic makes for a lot of dull gameplay.

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REALLY Dull play...but again the degen on walls kinda saved that one for us didnt it?

Hell in a week alot of them will be dead.

Just Sayin

Kaldenines wrote:

so you say the game should never introduce base building and terraforming? only static prebuilt terrain, more or less carefully shaped by the hand of a DEV or helper - or else its getting dull because player would use those features to prevent you from your currently fav. way to play the game?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

87 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-02-12 14:09:14)

Jasdemi wrote:
Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:
Jasdemi wrote:

1/10 for un-originality

Sorry, I was still sleepy.

Its ok we all have our off days wink big_smile

0110011100001111001010001 wrote:

I'm sorry but I'm really getting tired of this...every patch deal where someone makes a mistake, the mistake here was spamming walls thinking for some insane reason that they wouldn't get nerfed, and then wants the mistake to be taken back by the Dev's.

Man im seriously going to phone up the devil to see if hell has frozen over neutral WHY YOU ARE MAKING SENSE! stop using logic! your making the rest of the trolls look bad fuuu

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

88 (edited by Kaldenines 2012-02-12 14:35:35)

Annihilator wrote:
Kaldenines wrote:

so you say the game should never introduce base building and terraforming? only static prebuilt terrain, more or less carefully shaped by the hand of a DEV or helper - or else its getting dull because player would use those features to prevent you from your currently fav. way to play the game?

Spot on! Base building or terraforming should not be introduced on the current beta islands except in a very limited capacity.  The current beta islands don't have enough actual space.  Large portions are either near an outpost, near a teleport or near a spawn.  Most of the rest of it is hand crafted terrain with choke points.  Its too easy to block off huge sections of the island making it so that anyone approaching will be detected before they can break through enough walls to get the juicy middle bit.  Forget the mess that is Kentagura for a second and take a look at Brightstone where walls were used sensibly to make for a huge safe mining area.  Similar things are going on near Uria and other outposts.  PvP seems consigned to intrusions, station/teleport games and pre-arranged fights (consensual pvp).  Im not saying that it was great before walls but walls are sure as hell not making it better.

+1
-Confucius

soo... why dont you break down all those walls that you encounter?

the recent patch just enabled using med mg to be used against walls. you can probably wreck down walls twice as fast as someone could build them with a fraction of NIC involved.

its a kind of attrition war - but thats also part of the game - and not different from before where the winner was the one who has a bigger stock of equip.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Because I have better things to do with my time.  Like post on these forums!

+1
-Confucius