1 (edited by Kaldenines 2012-02-11 10:58:15)

Topic: Detecting logged off bots

Idea:
1) When bots log off on the terrain they should leave a mark similar (but distinct from) the one left by activating a scanning charge.

2) You should be able to use artifact scanning charges to identify a site where a bot is logged off.

Now that walls prevent roaming gangs from catching miners, login traps are gonna become much more common.  While I hate what walls have done to pvp in the game, I dont want logging in and out of the game to become the new roaming.  I dont think that going offline should become an integral part of playing the game.

(edit fixed typos)

+1
-Confucius

Re: Detecting logged off bots

Why not just go mine on alpha .. ideas like this are what is turning this game into a kiddy fun park. .

Death is a natural part of any life cycle deal with it and stop trying to make the DEV's make this game unplayable..

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Unfortunately the idea could be very well turned against you as well.

1. Scan for logged off robot.
2. Build walls around that tile.
3. Victim logs back, drama ensues.

DEV Zoom wrote:

+1

[05:36:51] <Lemon> i hate you... just so you know

[15:05:49] <Ville> I have to admit, that was pretty fu**ing pimp ^^
                           http://www.perp-kill.net/related/749

DEV Zoom wrote:

Broken wall mechanic is the problem, not the OP idea. It's kinda sad to see this plant-turned-wall hack being a factor at all hmm

DEV Zoom wrote:

i fail to see a problem with this??? tongue

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

7 (edited by Kaldenines 2012-02-11 02:14:02)

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

i fail to see a problem with this??? tongue

Don't give away my master plan.  Besides this is possible already and can also be easily countered by carrying a mobile TP which any competent logoffskier should do.

Seriously though, what is the dev's policy with regard to log on traps?  Cause I see no other way of killing a miner on beta unless they fail considerably or get disconnected or something.

I remember this being an EULA related issue at some point in another game.

Tux wrote:

Why not just go mine on alpha .. ideas like this are what is turning this game into a kiddy fun park. .

Death is a natural part of any life cycle deal with it and stop trying to make the DEV's make this game unplayable..

Don't be so upset.  Its a reason to build more walls! Thats what the game is about isn't it? None of that kiddy running around in robots shooting people crap.

+1
-Confucius

Really stupid idea....really.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

9 (edited by Hunter 2012-02-11 06:27:42)

Hello all!

2Author: Your suggestion right and necessary.

2DEV Team:
Big squad arrives to the point "A" and logout. A small invisible detector robot walk around and wait. When the victim comes near to the point "A" suddenly appears many robots (out of thin air) and kill it. This can be repeated forever. Particularly well under the OP.
Where is the balance? Numerous group may appears under your feet and kill everything alive? Is this normal? If this units will surrounded by a wall - it's their problem. Did not have to go offline in the field. Logout in the field should be last step. If impossible do it in OP/Terminal.
In addition you have been offered a raw idea, which need to develop. It is necessary to get rid of login traps. And I very hope that you start solve this EXPLOIT instead of different excuses.

2Stupid *** who take advantage of this EXPLOIT, and who do not want change: Get out of here trolls.

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

DEV Zoom wrote:

Unfortunately, when you undock on beta, it can be turned against you

1. Scan for logged on robot
2. Kill it
3. Victim appeared in terminal, drama ensues.

LogOff mechanics was always problem for me. In my opinion, logoff traps is very bad for sandbox due to obvious reasons, like dock/undock, like stupid npc's what spawning from one point.

The idea what was proposed earlier by my corp was almost same but easier to understand: logged off bot staying on the ground with masking multiplier, lets say x10. You will use same technique as with logged on bots to detect logged off party: detector bot. To avoid some problems logged off bot may have turned off modules. To avoid server overload, trial's and arches automatically teleporting to terminal. That's all.

Lets return to wall problem: its not a problem at all, because logged off agents will know the risks what they have. After devs will implementing self-destruct button, the problem will be solved.

Chaos fully supports the idea.

you do not need any new mechanics that dont already exist to accomplish what you are asking.. all you need is a presence on your island. I have seen people that logged out come back to being walled in because they were seen by a scout when they were logging out. ... if you dont have a "presence" or scouts then stop whining about having people logged off in your island... how were they able to log off there anyways.. most likely because you dont have a strong enough presence at the time they came.

ZOMG: if logging out of the game is an exploit you are seriously confused about game mechanics.

Hey why not add a dock timer so once you hit the button to dock up you must wait 30 seconds (after instability) for the porter to warm up and let you in ... this would stop thoes *** docking games everyone likes to play.

come up with ideas to encourage pvp not discourage it.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

proximity probe...

you see someone logging off on your island - place a probe there. -> get instant notification when they log back

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

What we really need is "Detect logged off players" and then find something to get them to want to log back in. sad

What modern game should really solve: recreate "npc farm" and remove old login-logout mechanics.

The fact that you can wall people up at all means walls are broken. Bring in defence turrets, tar-fields that slow robots, ANYTHING BUT WALLS.

16 (edited by Annihilator 2012-02-13 01:11:49)

zwiss wrote:

The fact that you can wall people up at all means walls are broken. Bring in defence turrets, tar-fields that slow robots, ANYTHING BUT WALLS.

The fact that you can wall people up means that walls are solid... not broken. It doesnt need quantum physics to know that.

a broken wall cannot stop anyone...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Tux wrote:

you do not need any new mechanics that dont already exist to accomplish what you are asking.. all you need is a presence on your island. I have seen people that logged out come back to being walled in because they were seen by a scout when they were logging out. ... if you dont have a "presence" or scouts then stop whining about having people logged off in your island... how were they able to log off there anyways.. most likely because you dont have a strong enough presence at the time they came.

ZOMG: if logging out of the game is an exploit you are seriously confused about game mechanics.

Hey why not add a dock timer so once you hit the button to dock up you must wait 30 seconds (after instability) for the porter to warm up and let you in ... this would stop thoes *** docking games everyone likes to play.

come up with ideas to encourage pvp not discourage it.

Oh SNAP I AGREE!!!!

But really Tux...try sepll check and teh garmmar too...

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr