Topic: New incubators :: first impressions

I hope, devs, you will change incubator mechanics a bit.
I can build a tree, i can build a forest, this is awesome.
But when i placing non-noralgis incubator to the earth, the plant appears: big tree, or small bush, or small helio. Not an incubator at all. This should be replaced and fixed in future. You know how.
Thank you!

Re: New incubators :: first impressions

-1. Incubator-style flora is boring.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Line wrote:

-1. Incubator-style flora is boring.

I disagree. They're cheap and are be place around walls for extra really cheap protection. You can also now hide your Noralgis even better.

However they should grow quickly but not instantly and currently they seem to be a bit buggy.

While you find it boring Line you don't have to use them but for some of us they add a nice of extra sand to beta islands.

I AM NOT A GM™

-1/2

decorational plants with incubators would realy look dumb...

we can talk about the plants you can harvest, but i think this will not realy be nessesary either.

maybe we can rename the incubators to planting device. problem solved.

Incubators can be used to decorate the first stage of growing plant. Secnd and next stages could be without incubators. This will suit incubators into the lore.

and

Alexandra wrote:

However they should grow quickly but not instantly and currently they seem to be a bit buggy.

Well, only if on the first stage. No Noralghis-looks plants, they will be ugly.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Yeah!

Non-Harvestable plants should have two stages. Seed, then normal tree growth. Instant mini-tree is not how it should work. They should be normal plants as well, no way to tell the difference after seed stage.

Anything that encourages players to log in and participate in the world is +1. If decorative plants get players online and planting, that is a win.

It would add more/lengthier entertainment to planting, if it was an invisible seed when first planted, but used a similar mechanic to the walls to allow players to force grow them; for decorative plants only. Of course the seeds would grow on the natural cycle if not forced too.

I see a few bugs but nothing game shattering.

One thing I would like to see is a feature where you select an item/incubator that you would like to deploy, and highlighted tiles within 20 or so show up to let you know where you can and cant plant the thing.  Running around getting error messages "not for this purpose" or other is lame and a waste of time.

This has always been a Noralgis issue for me but I have not brought it up as it was the only thing in the game to plant, but if there are "unfertalized" tiles that cant take the item, let me know before i go through all the time to try and organize these items.

Better yet, give me a "fertalize tile" charge for my harvester that I can zap into a tile, and 24 hrs later it will accept the incubator.  Could have fun planting in interesting places with this feature! wink

While we can't give you a "fertilize tile" tool, we also feel the necessity for something that can show you fertile tiles. The easiest way to do this would be a series of new geoscanner charge types, which would work similarly to tile-based mineral charges, but they would show you fertile spots for a specific plant type.

DEV Zoom wrote:

While we can't give you a "fertilize tile" tool, we also feel the necessity for something that can show you fertile tiles. The easiest way to do this would be a series of new geoscanner charge types, which would work similarly to tile-based mineral charges, but they would show you fertile spots for a specific plant type.

YES !!!!! would this be a on|off type of tile indicator or would it be more like current ore scanning mechanics where some tiles are better than others?

while you at it could you give use ore field incubators for beta and make them grow|expand in diameter with charges like the wall charges ???

K

THX

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Tux wrote:

YES !!!!! would this be a on|off type of tile indicator or would it be more like current ore scanning mechanics where some tiles are better than others?

We have no fertility levels, so yeah it would be like simply a red tile or nothing at all.

Tux wrote:

while you at it could you give use ore field incubators for beta and make them grow|expand in diameter with charges like the wall charges ???

A little off topic here, but I don't think we could ever balance that if you could place your own mineral fields smile

DEV Zoom wrote:
Tux wrote:

We have no fertility levels, so yeah it would be like simply a red tile or nothing at all.

Tux wrote:

A little off topic here, but I don't think we could ever balance that if you could place your own mineral fields smile

well it was worth a shot ... big_smile

looking forward to the new scanning charges for plants .. good work

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.