Topic: Chemical Missiles Requiring higher extensions

An issues came up earlier and I was asked a question I couldn't find a suitable answer for.
What is it that chemical missiles require much higher (Level 5) extensions to use? It's only a real issue for new players but it's not in line with other ammos. It doesn't seem to make sense any more.

I searched the forums but didn't find a answer for this apart from a few damage arguments but all missiles but Sonic do the same damage.

Re: Chemical Missiles Requiring higher extensions

Missile launchers by istelf have the lowerest extension requirements. Also they aren't splitted to short and long range. Thats why all the limitations were implemented to missiles instead of launchers IMO.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

But why specifically would one missile require higher extensions?
I don't believe this is inline with the other ammos or weapons. If it was more extensions for medium long range then that's fine but this is small missiles requiring different extensions.

I know chemical is a universal resistance hole but I am just wondering why level 5 (Which doesn't seem to fit inline with the other ammos)

Every weapon type has one ammo that requires level 5 extensions. For missiles and bullets it's the chemical one, then there is compositecore for slugs, and thermic for energy cells. It's probably the one ammo that is thought to be most effective among the standard types.

Should be for sonic missiles then, accordingly to slugs and cells.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

I think it was forgotten to adjust when ammos got changed a few month ago:

Chemoactive is the ammo that is never the wrong ammo against any target. Earlier, the compositecore slugs and "multispectral energycells" have been the universal ammos for their respective weapons.

with the change from multispectral to thermal cell, the lvl5 requirement should have been moved to chemoactive cells,
and same for slugs.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

Chemoactive is the ammo that is never the wrong ammo against any target. Earlier, the compositecore slugs and "multispectral energycells" have been the universal ammos for their respective weapons.

with the change from multispectral to thermal cell, the lvl5 requirement should have been moved to chemoactive cells,
and same for slugs.

+1, however perhaps lower it to level 4?

8 (edited by Gremrod 2012-01-20 17:58:21)

Alexander wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

and same for slugs.

We have people in PPAT that want to use small chemo missiles but don't want to push basic ballistics to 5 just to use them. Their reason for not wanting to push basic ballistics to lvl 5 is because they want to save as much EP as they can for specializing in mechs not lights and assaults.

I am not sure if this warrants a change in required level etc... But I want to let the DEVs know what I am hearing from new players and it doesn't make since to them.

The only answer I have for them now is, "You can't use small chemo missiles. Wait until you get advanced ballistics to level 5 so you can use medium chemo missiles."

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

9 (edited by Annihilator 2012-01-20 18:01:29)

Gremrod wrote:

We have people in PPAT that want to use small chemo missiles but don't want to push basic ballistics to 5 just to use them. Their reason for not wanting to push basic ballistics to lvl 5 is because they want to save as much EP as they can for specializing in mechs not lights and assaults.

there actually is no reason to use chemoactive missiles at all... any other missile does more damage in most cases if the target is not:

a, an industrial bot
b, a bot with a hardener, and even then, the difference is negliable small, because npcs do not activate them.

teach your "noobs" that they either not train that extension and bring the right ammo, or
spend those 1 day, 3h worth EP for their laziness and comfort.

or support them with small smites...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Alexander wrote:

What is it that chemical missiles require much higher (Level 5) extensions to use? It's only a real issue for new players but it's not in line with other ammos. It doesn't seem to make sense any more.

I don't know if it is still the case but about a year ago chemical bullets needed level 5 as well.  I don't know if they still do have the requirement but I do remember clearly as it wasn't something I wanted to get to level 5 in smalls as I was going to focus on mediums.

"...we will take undefended gammas and stations."  -Cassius of STC

Gremrod wrote:
Alexander wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

and same for slugs.

I am not sure if this warrants a change in required level etc... But I want to let the DEVs know what I am hearing from new players and it doesn't make since to them.

The only answer I have for them now is, "You can't use small chemo missiles. Wait until you get advanced ballistics to level 5 so you can use medium chemo missiles."

If they are truely new players they can spend the EP, try the missles and then downgrade the extension if the difference isn't worth it. Simple solution.

Not to tell you how to teach your new players but I hope you are making a point to encourage them not to rush into a mech within their first couple weeks. We all know that until you get a decent amount of EP invested in fitting, weapon and bot skills that an assault piloted with just a few weeks of EP is superior to a mech piloted with low EP in almost every way.

3 assaults piloted with 3 weeks of EP kills your average EP mech pilot.
3 low EP piloted mechs die a horrible death to the average EP mech pilot..

+0.5--Personally I would rather see the regular ammos have the same reqs and give the mission ammo higher reqs.

Inappropriate signature.

Annihilator wrote:
Gremrod wrote:

there actually is no reason to use chemoactive missiles at all... any other missile does more damage in most cases if the target is not:

a, an industrial bot
b, a bot with a hardener, and even then, the difference is negliable small, because npcs do not activate them.

teach your "noobs" that they either not train that extension and bring the right ammo, or
spend those 1 day, 3h worth EP for their laziness and comfort.

or support them with small smites...

The above contradicts your statement below.

Annihilator wrote:

and same for slugs.

Or were you trying to say that chemo no longer fits the above statement?

Scyylla wrote:
Gremrod wrote:
Alexander wrote:

If they are truely new players they can spend the EP, try the missles and then downgrade the extension if the difference isn't worth it. Simple solution.

Not to tell you how to teach your new players but I hope you are making a point to encourage them not to rush into a mech within their first couple weeks. We all know that until you get a decent amount of EP invested in fitting, weapon and bot skills that an assault piloted with just a few weeks of EP is superior to a mech piloted with low EP in almost every way.

3 assaults piloted with 3 weeks of EP kills your average EP mech pilot.
3 low EP piloted mechs die a horrible death to the average EP mech pilot..

+0.5--Personally I would rather see the regular ammos have the same reqs and give the mission ammo higher reqs.

Thanks for the input.

All the fits I have on our forums etc are based around lights and assaults. I tell them to focus there first and get their support extensions first.

The only one that is worth getting into a mech as fast as they can in my eyes are the guys going miner.

14 (edited by Annihilator 2012-01-20 21:26:24)

nope grem, it doesnt contradict

chemoactive ammo is always the second best non-mission ammo - against every non industrial bot. which makes it versatile and "never the wrong ammo" (in PvE)

spreadsheet

Annihilator wrote:

nope grem, it doesnt contradict

chemoactive ammo is always the second best non-mission ammo - against every non industrial bot. which makes it versatile and "never the wrong ammo" (in PvE)

Okay I misunderstood you. Thanks. smile