Topic: Recent lag / network issues / etc. (2012.01.19)

I guess everyone noticed the recent hiccups in the game connection in the last few days, dropouts, lag, etc.

Now, I'll say this first that I'm not a network expert so my conclusions might be wrong but here's how I saw the situation: Every now and then the login-server would get a huge (sometimes up to 80MB/s, though I suppose this includes TCP/IP overhead) burst of external traffic for about 15 minutes or so, and then it would go back to normal. I did some testing with a variety of network tools, and found out that the traffic is mostly aimed at port 139 (NetBIOS) which we have firewalled out, but still it would cause such a network congestion that it'd cause some connections to time out. This traffic came from thousands of endpoints all over the world, including countries where we have no (awareness of) players from (Peru, Egypt, etc.).

In short, from what I can deduce with my fairly modest knowledge about networks, we just got DDOS'd. Because our cluster works with a login server (which is a single point of failure), we were sitting ducks. Our firewall, on inspection (and contrary what I may have been saying earlier) was configured just fine, but the network itself became a bottleneck for the incoming traffic, something we couldn't do anything about.

We're currently in contact with our provider to see if they have some sort of protection service they can offer (early hardware firewalling, etc.).

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

Re: Recent lag / network issues / etc. (2012.01.19)

Thanks for letting us know what's going on. It must be horrible seeing something you worked on getting attacked and while it's annoying to have these issues I'm sure as hell not going anywhere (Sorry to those that don't like me!)

I hope others will join me in wishing the devs luck in finding the root of this cause and also defending the game and our enjoyment from outside influences. Let's keep the drama between the internet robots, right? tongue

Its pretty sad people would attack this game knowing you are a small team/company with limited resources.

Good that it stopped though, hopefully it won't happen again.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Random DDOS, passing through?

Good luck! If EU ISPs are anything like US, then they can and will be able to help with port blocking at the upstream router!

I take it by mentioning your login SPF, that's being addressed too smile

Right after probes rollback, hmm....

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

That Sucks guys but as your loyal customers we will be here waiting patiently.  Lightstick pvp anyone?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

i wonder who so mad that they have to take this route to win smile

Sokolov wrote:

i wonder who so mad that they have to take this route to win smile

small minded ppl

Again?   hmm

There was a small blip, Possible DDOS or something else.

http://content.perpetuum-online.com/fee … h_1200.png

and again...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Did we just lose the web server for a little while or was that the devs testing a fix?

I AM NOT A GM™

And one more

Another one just now, what a loser neutral

RIP PERPETUUM

The server has been 4 drops in the last 24 hours. All online agents are effected but it has not yet caused a total drop out of all connections as far as the user graph shows.

GL stopping these attacks, i am a new player and am enjoying the game so far:D

GumDrone wrote:

GL stopping these attacks, i am a new player and am enjoying the game so far:D

It's really nice to see that there are new players like yourself showing support.

Hopefully the bottle neck can be resolved soon enough and render these attacks useless.

I suspect the only long term solution is going to be removing the single points of failure, and that's just going to take some time.

The silver lining to this, if there is one, is this is one less thing to go wrong later with 1-5K players active!

Positive thinking is my favourite thinking. big_smile

22 (edited by Grazskin 2012-01-26 18:36:55)

Would be great to get an update as to what you guys are doing about this issue. I have to be honest, my sub runs out in 10 days and if nothing changes then you may lose 2 active accounts out of the 200 you have now.

Grazskin wrote:

Would be great to get an update as to what you guys are doing about this issue. I have to be honest, my sub runs out in 10 days and if nothing changes then you may lose 2 active accounts out of the 200 you have now.

So by looking at the at the peak user graph you figured that there are 200 active accounts?
Good job!

Grazskin wrote:

if nothing changes then you may lose 2 active accounts out of the 200 you have now.

Youve chosen your side then. The other side shall post here http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … -the-devs/

They are in difficulty, no need to have invented wheel to see that. Do they have support?  Yes they have, and support that will endure the ddos as long as it needs (soon).

Makes me laugh peoples that "threaten" to stop subbing. Honestly man, do whatever you want, some see the light at the end of the tunnel. You just mingled it with some artificial neon tube.

Rest assured that finding a solution is a priority for us. Obviously there is no use developing new features if you can't play... Unfortunately that's the most I can tell you, because if this is a targeted attack (and it looks like one) any info we tell you is a hint for the attackers.