Re: Bring Titan back to Beta

as long as its only one teleport jump away, (which it is now with those new teleport beacons), mining on alpha will be main income for anything but epriton for beta corps.

ps arga: read your PM!

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

PS: I did, and responded!

THere used to be an indicator next to "Private Messages", now you have to just keep checking it sad

Titan ore on beta makes sense! +1

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.

+1

Not every corp will mine titan on beta due to the risk involved imo, but at least the option is there to do so.

+1 for more options and decisions for beta corps /players.

RIP PERPETUUM

Once there was a reason to remove Titan from beta to force beta corps to interact with alpha and to bring haul trains as targets for Pvp. I never found that the best decission, but aranged with that.
For a long time majority of the player was fine with that state, the only reason all crying now, is that a level 4 raffinery is only half the fun, when you need to haul titan there and risk the haul beeing targeted. I think thats fair as prize for the level 4 raffinery and I have hauled myself enough titan to beta to see all benefits and drawbacks.

Looking down the road, to WHEN perp gets more population, if a beta Island has 'everything' it needs to be self-suffcient, some corp/alliance will simply be able to gate camp (more pop means enough players to do this effectively) and never have to leave their island.

So, it doesn't really matter if its Titan per se, but each island has to be lacking in at least 1 resource. It can even be different per island, but if you do that, there will be 'discussions' about why this island has this and that doesn't. And the whole camp that insists beta islands should simply have everything, so they CAN islolate themselves if they want.

Titan is just the simplest and cheapest to have missing.

tl;dr - If beta islands shouldn't be 100% Islolatable, then titan is the best resource to have missing.

Goffer we hated it when they removed it.  Just like today I was short 4500 titan ore to start production on something.  I had to go back to alpha terminal pick it up and bring it back, instead of undocking with my miner mining it and back in station.  It's about balanced living, a small corp will have to have two sets of everything on Alpha and Beta in order to live.  In Morte we have a corp division, our alpha carebears and our beta guys, we trade minerals between the two markets and have to have a stock of two of everything and 4 people dedicated to buy orders, minerals, and markets.  If a corp of 5 guys wants to live sololy on Beta they can't, because they need Titan
and even furthermore a group of 5 guys won't be able to live in a Beta-2 due to being locked out and being roilled by a major alliance every time a Sap at their station is hit.

TL;DR Version:

I have other things to do in life besides a scarab train back and forth with guards.  Let us have our titan back on Beta so we can live there.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

34 (edited by Celebro 2012-01-21 20:12:42)

Arga wrote:

Looking down the road, to WHEN perp gets more population, if a beta Island has 'everything' it needs to be self-suffcient, some corp/alliance will simply be able to gate camp (more pop means enough players to do this effectively) and never have to leave their island.

So, if they can lock themselves up and have every resource at their disposal, is that a real issue? Game is trying to force a play style instead of being more open to the decisions made by players, this is not good.

Locking up and island is not an easy task, perhaps easier with more players, but would their be enough resources available to be self-sufficient with so many players?

At least add some limited titan resource in beta, every game mechanic decision shouldn't be an on and off switch.

RIP PERPETUUM

Ville wrote:

If a corp of 5 guys wants to live sololy on Beta they can't, because they need Titan
and even furthermore a group of 5 guys won't be able to live in a Beta-2 due to being locked out and being roilled by a major alliance every time a Sap at their station is hit.

If a corp of 5 guys want to live on beta Titan is their smallest problem. Remember Notum did this and our problem was not Titan (If you would let me dock on Inita again I could sell you some titan there wink.
The problem is that with 5 player your not able to defend an outpost if a large alliance don't let you. And without beeing able to dock, you can't live there regardless how much titan you have inside.

36 (edited by Sundial 2012-01-23 20:14:31)

Goffer, so hauling titan into beta is a risk and PvP target but mining Titan with your miner fleet is not?

Both of them are targets. If I wan't to risk my miners on beta I should be able to.

I think it would be ok if there was less titan on beta, but no Titan is just rather silly.

Summary:
I think its good to encourage trade by limiting recources but never actually forcing it.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Celebro wrote:
Arga wrote:

So, if they can lock themselves up and have every resource at their disposal, is that a real issue? Game is trying to force a play style instead of being more open to the decisions made by players, this is not good.

Locking up and island is not an easy task, perhaps easier with more players, but would their be enough resources available to be self-sufficient with so many players?

At least add some limited titan resource in beta, every game mechanic decision shouldn't be an on and off switch.

i think the most important thing said here is this:

||"Game is trying to force a play style instead of being more open to the decisions made by players, this is not good. "||

GIVE US A CHOICE ON HOW WE WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME !!!!

Forcing player corps that live on beta to go to alpha to mine minerals is just plain nonsense. ( if the rarest ore can be found on beta islands so should the most ubiquitous) people enjoy choice not being forced into something. beta should be 10x or more better in all aspects over Alpha islands. until then beta is just for Epeen.

Suggestion: add more beta islands than have better aspects such as, larger islands, all resources, larger fields, all 4 star + spawns and other amenities that will make beta islands worth living on. as of right now there is only 1 thing you need from beta and that is Epi. the bonuses from the auras are underwhelming and not worth risk of mining in mk2|T4|T4+ Riv's.

tl;dr

bring titan back to beta and let beta corps be beta corps not alpha/beta corps !!!

In this business, by the time you realize you're in trouble, it's too late to save yourself. Unless you're running scared all the time, you're gone.
~Bill Gates~

Distribution of resources, and really any game mechanics, are about balance and creating an environment that players have to react to. Calling for a change because a mechanic doesn't allow you to do what you want isn't a reason to change it.

Living on Beta is risky. Moving Titan to beta is risky, so it adds value to that material, and to living on beta.

Again though, I'm not saying titan shouldn't be on Beta, simply that the arguement of "I want to mine it there" isn't suffcient.

The suggestion of putting titan on a new set of PVP islands though, does add complexity to the game. Basically, to tie this back to the other thread and the Gamma Islands, there would already be enough challenges on that island, so making resources scarce would be overkill.