1 (edited by Sundial 2012-01-15 06:34:41)

Topic: Bring Titan back to Beta

One of the biggest reasons beta corps do so much stuff on alpha is the simple fact that you cannot mine titan on beta. So you already must have your accounts on alpha to mine titan (most miners like to mine everything, not buy it). Why not just leave them there to mine everything/do all industry there in complete safety?

Titan is the most used material in the game. The fact that its not readily available on beta makes no sense. The only drawback to living on beta should be the risk. There should be no reduction in rewards of any kind on beta.

This also will be a buff to alpha miners as you won't have some beta corps mining all of your ore but still buying ore from the market and importing it when they need it.

As far as I can see everyone wins here...

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Re: Bring Titan back to Beta

*edit: Rule #4. - DEV Zoom

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

Sundial wrote:

This also will be a buff to alpha miners as you won't have some beta corps mining all of your ore but still buying ore from the market and importing it when they need it.

This would be true if anyone ever mined out the titan ore anywhere.

Titan ore needs to be put back on Beta for one simple reason. It is the basic ore in the game and should be found on every island period.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

All minerals need to be placed more specifically on different islands. Mining to be more about moving and finding the next location than about sitting there mining it. It should also have a lot less focus on hauling by increasing yields massively and reducing weight.

Titan can be Alpha only but I believe it should have a little on beta. (Beta miners tend to strip fields anyway so it would make sense to give them a little to get production started and then have them pull in convoys from Alpha)

+1 need more Titan Ore on Beta.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

In accordance to my awesome rule #4, I think the DEV are agreeing with you on this one.

Funny how that works.

I really don't see a fight with this one, I you want to risk and mine titan on beta, while there is Epi 1k away that is worth 10x more go for it.  I really really don't see that happening tho.

Just don't start making it, "oh hay giys were going to pullz the orez from alphas and forces you to betaz".

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

Mineral and mining changes
I'll start with the good news, so maybe we can sell this off as a good thing™: we'll increase the mining yield of one cycle for every raw material by 50%. And we'll reduce mineral regeneration rates accordingly. Sounds bad at first, but this only hurts those grinding at the same mineral field every day, while the rest of the island is like an untouched mining paradise.

We'll also remove titan ore from beta islands. There's been many discussions about how all the beta corporations are too self-sufficient, which hurts the economy, and alpha corporations don't really have anything they could offer for them. Hopefully this change will start some goods exchange between alpha and beta islands. It's important to note that we will only stop the regeneration of titan ore, so current minerals will stay in the ground until they are all fully mined out.

That was copied from here: http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/archive/2011/04/

Now I know for a fact that the Titan ore was never mined out, it just was not there one day.  I had been mining it one day and the next (after a patch for something) it was gone.  I asked about it but never got a reply as to why this occured.

I am all for Titan on Beta  smile

Actually, I like it the way it is.  Lets requote the above:
"We'll also remove titan ore from beta islands. There's been many discussions about how all the beta corporations are too self-sufficient, which hurts the economy, and alpha corporations don't really have anything they could offer for them.  Hopefully this change will start some goods exchange between alpha and beta islands. It's important to note that we will only stop the regeneration of titan ore, so current minerals will stay in the ground until they are all fully mined out."

Ok, it may be a bit of a pain in the ***, but if EVERYTHING was available on beta, what need is there to bring anything from alpha, as far as resources?  Now it's not just about hauling products out, but having to have to import some resources from off island.  This should drive some market activity, while also adding risk to beta production by having to haul materials in.

TBH, I think titan is the least critical of materials to obtain as far as time and effort, and from what I have seen on the market, there are quite a bit of buy and sell orders there to support the decision to remove titan ore from beta.

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

I do agree it increases activity on alpha Lupus. However I feel that it is the wrong kind of activity when it results in the only thing being mined on beta being epriton and having corp production done on alpha.

Maybe we will see scarabs making this much less of a pain in the ***.

I still don't agree it was a good idea to completely (read 100%) remove titan from beta.

11 (edited by Sundial 2012-01-15 18:21:35)

Alexander wrote:

All minerals need to be placed more specifically on different islands. Mining to be more about moving and finding the next location than about sitting there mining it. It should also have a lot less focus on hauling by increasing yields massively and reducing weight.

Titan can be Alpha only but I believe it should have a little on beta. (Beta miners tend to strip fields anyway so it would make sense to give them a little to get production started and then have them pull in convoys from Alpha)

I dislike "node based" mining in which you run around and look for nodes more than you spend mining. Thats actually what I like about perpetuums mining system, its not node based. So I disagree with your first point.

But a big +1 on the second one.

0110011100001111001010001 wrote:

*edit: Rule #4. - DEV Zoom

I invoke Rule #34 on this...

Sundial wrote:
Alexander wrote:

I dislike "node based" mining in which you run around and look for nodes more than you spend mining. Thats actually what I like about perpetuums mining system, its not node based. So I disagree with your first point.

But a big +1 on the second one.

+1 No node based mining please, running around all day, I dislike.

On topic: Reasoning behind removing titan ore from beta didn't work as intended, bring at least some titan back could add some incentive to live there.

RIP PERPETUUM

So I am wanting to finish this round of T4 modules and I see I am about 2k short of titan to refine to titanium, instead of hoping into my riveler running to the ore spot spend 5 mins mining what i need hoping back into station, I have to log onto my alpha mining team, mine the ore, haul it in then return my alpha mining team back to alpha and log them... So 45 mins later... I get my titanium.  More running and taking longer to do simple tasks is not what this game needs.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

15 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-01-16 03:31:47)

+1 to bring back titan to beta. It should never have been removed in the first place. the more people on beta the better.

ide prefer to gank miners more than a hauler..... unless said hauler is moving loads of T4 mods tongue

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

-1. Need to nerf ERP!!!

>Actually really need to give independing of alpha for beta corps<

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

Hunter wrote:

Actually really need to give independing of alpha for beta corps

what do you mean? (this question is no troll i promise).

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

The problem is that no one is actually moving titan to beta, so Ville's arguement is a good one in that sense.

I'll go out on a limb here though, and guess if I put 1M units of Titan on each beta Island at 5 NIC each, that a producer would probably pay 10k NIC (for Ville's example of 2K short) instead of all that hauling/delay.

That volume/price isn't going to be used for beta bulk purchasing though. Ville isn't going to pay 5 NIC for 50M units of titan needed for a week's production.

The whole idea here, titan aside, is that NO single island has every resource. The granularity is rough, Alpha/beta - Epi/Titan, but the concept of islands not having all resources is good.

That concept probably doesn't add any Shinen to Sun though smile  As his issue would be the same regardless; Meaning if Titan was on beta, but the Island he was on didnt' have Immentium, then he would again have to mine that missing ore from Alpha.

Think of it this way, what if a beta Island had Titan, but no Epitron.

Would that beta island be more attractive?

If any Island had ALL the resources on it, it could just 'lock' the door and play in it's own world.

tl;dr - Rarity of resources on Islands are good. Beta islands can already get 'some' titan products from recycling, just like Alpha can. There's also the random special ores that provide Epi on alpha and titan on beta. Politics and trade SHOULD be part of a sandbox, and I'm not just saying this because PIE is looking to start this doing that, since this is something that many other corps and players should have already been doing.

Arga wrote:

The problem is that no one is actually moving titan to beta, so Ville's arguement is a good one in that sense.

Well, I and several others just in my corp alone, move titan ore to beta every day.  After all, need that titan to refine alligor, and what's the point of having a higer lvl refinery if you are not going to use it...

It feels like the lack of any resource on a pvp area breaks the immersion of living there. Yet if you bring it back then there is a huge divide between alpha and beta even more so with those lvl 4 facilities.

IMO, I would have done the opposite, create an even higher resource gathering area, full of bonuses, even higher yield beta only bots, but slightly lower level facilities than in alpha just enough to make you use beta outpost. After all most industrialists stay in alpha anyways. To add more incentive only scarabs or all gliders would be limited to beta only manufacturing.

RIP PERPETUUM

Lupus, sorry, I meant no one is transporting it for trade; as mentioned in the dev blog about generating trade between alpha/beta.

well... arga has a good point there.

I would transport titan ore to beta, actually. The risk is just to high for me. When i am seen on the beta island, im most likely beeing shot down without any question, or pirate like "pay me xxx nic and i let you go"

the so called "pirates" have nothing to lose - they get ~50% of my cargo and equip and a killmail with epeen. Theres also no name behind the buy orders - I cannot even identify if its a trap.

So all I can do, is putting up my ore at an outpost or terminal on alpha, and hope for beta corps to haul it on their own...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

The immersion should be based on living within the game, not a particular island.

I know titan/epi is very sharply, artificially created resource allocation, but the concept of any (1) area on a map having all needed resources isn't realistic either.

To be clear, I'm not 'against' titan on beta, it was very much an experimental thing. Any possibly using the most abundant resource to be rare on beta islands is bad. But there should be at least (1) resource that isn't available on each island.

When/if we get large islands, then possible those can and should have all resouces, but geographically dispersed.

As a side note, 720U is 'ok', but its still tactical and not a freighter. When were talking about moving 10,000 U of material, its still a mere shadow of what it needs to be.

Until there's a real line of freighters, life on Nia is going to continue to be a struggle.

I'm not complaining, 720U of tactical hauling for mining is very much needed too.

24 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2012-01-16 22:52:02)

Arga wrote:

Lupus, sorry, I meant no one is transporting it for trade; as mentioned in the dev blog about generating trade between alpha/beta.

Well, they may not be moving it to beta to sell there, but tbh, most of the titan we use we buy, because it is more cost effective to mine epri and sell it, or farm plasma and sell it, and buy the other materials we need.  Most of the minerals we use are bought on alpha, and transported to beta. I just happen to be a cheap bastard and mine some things myself when I don't have the support to go out mining epri.

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

Well, they may not be moving it to beta to sell there, but tbh, most of the titan we use we buy, because it is more cost effective to mine epri and sell it, and buy the other materials we need.  Most of the minerals we use are bought on alpha, and transported to beta. I just happen to be a cheap bastard and mine some things myself when I don't have the support to go out mining epri.

Which is awesome!

The population is too small not to have players doing 'something' the whole time. Alpha wins because your bringing Epitron over and buying titan to take back.

On topic though, having titan on beta wouldn't provide you with any more cover, so it's likely that you would still continue to mine on alpha during those down times, just not titan; HDT probably.