Topic: PvP Flag and Beta Islands teleports

Since we can use, on beta, inner teleports while PvP Flagged why couldn't we use beta-beta teleports too. It would open the terrain (extra beta island) plus hit and run tactics would work normally instead of hit-play-benny-hill-jump-out.

What do you think?

"you're not in an MMO to make friends, you're there to make enemies smile"

Re: PvP Flag and Beta Islands teleports

I kind of like the mechanic in place, but interesting idea.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

semi agree....

I think this would just add more teleport games unless the protection mechanic is removed if flagged or drastically shortened.

Inappropriate signature.

I'd like to see the option -- but with a penalty (and I think this would help with implementation as the session change while preserving the status effect/timer would be more difficult IMO)

If you jump off beta with a flag, it's refreshed and active on alpha... this would lead to the possibility of setting up ambushes... pretty neat.. add some diversity.

If you jump off beta with no flag, the mechanic stays the same as it is currently.

You'll still have benny hill till your flag runs out, but could create some pvp excitement for those alpha dwellers not willing to step foot on beta.

What you call "benny hill" is what I call "chance to defend".

The main reason was at first first PVP flags couldn't follow you across islands. Perhaps jumping with a PVP flag should prefer the PVP flag.

Chase the enemy anywhere you want to. No long range demob or demob then you're not really a "Defence force"

I agree that flags should follow you jumping should be allowed. smile

Jumping with a PVP flag should also not give you protection yikes

good point alexander - that was one of the reason why we got the "no teleport with pvp flag" to begin with - they could not keep the "buff" when teleporting between islands.

(using inner island teleporters does not remove your bot from terrain at any point - its just moved within the same instance. )

This is a good topic, since it affects connected maps (aka bigger island). If the servercode cannot keep the PvP flag or any active module between each zone, the system cannot work. I wonder if that is one of the reasons why it takes so long to implement the continents.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I understand the game mechanic in place allows time for the screen to load, so there's always going to need to be some type of protection/instability thing at each TP so players with slow internet or PC.

That part aside, does not allowing players to jump flagged really add to the game?

As I think is being alluded to, it seems like it artificially bottles up the flagged player at the TP in order for attackers to 'corner' them.

The scenrios where a bot flaggs on the beta TP by alpha killing a scout, then immeditately jumps back to alpha (if the flag restriction is remove) where they are safe sounds like a terrible mechanic. However, if the flag does follow them, it still allows any defenders to follow that bot to alpha and continue what it started.

But to turn that around again, that also allows for TP baiting. In that same scenrio, where a bot TP's into Beta, alpha's down 1 of 4 bots, then jumps back to alpha (flagged). The other (3) follow to alpha where there are (10) mechs waiting.

Of course the (3) bots aren't flagged and don't have to attack, but it creates a scenrio where a large alpha force can ultimately control a beta gate from the ALPHA side, since all the beta side defenders are targetable when only 1 attacker bot jumps in from alpha.

However, allowing flagged jumping to other beta islands doesn't have this same issue, since being flagged has no meaning on Beta other then to prevent players from docking or teleporting.

+1 MORE TELE Games!

GOGO...also Remove Protection when you jump to ANY tele when, and only when, your flagged.

IE: Flagged = ZERO protection, PERIOD

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

0110011100001111001010001 wrote:

+1 MORE TELE Games!

GOGO...also Remove Protection when you jump to ANY tele when, and only when, your flagged.

Don't know the guy, BUT

I'm Dan and I approve this message!

Dan wrote:

+1 MORE TELE Games!

Don't know the guy, BUT

I'm Dan and I approve this message!

I approve of this message TOO!

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011

don't we agree that the teleporters as only long range travel method have to be changed anyway?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Annihilator wrote:

don't we agree that the teleporters as only long range travel method have to be changed anyway?

only in your imagination

If the game had been designed correctly from the start we wouldn't need island at all. tongue

Alexander wrote:

If the game had been designed correctly from the start we wouldn't need island at all. tongue

The islands have been rather huge when i started two years ago in beta.

there was 1km radar range, no slope display on map or radar, and the average robot speed was 60 kph fitted, except for intakts and kains with t4 lwfs in all legslots

The "safe" alpha area was pretty small - my first death was caused by two volleys of ballistic medium missiles fired from blackomens gropho about 2km away from ICS alpha terminal, straight north.

Outposts didnt exist, neither did highways or on-island teleporter. between beta teleporter and the next police tower there was at least 2km - the towers had 1km shooting range, which mean, you havent been safe until you could almost hug the tower.

The Game was designed rather well, but some decisions later did screw with that: Police tower system got replaced with permanent syndicate protection, instead of keeping the status up "you are an agreesor, police will shoot you" even after your robot exploded by police. Suicide ganking around terminals replaced with gate camping.

the terrain raster is to rough, the details to big and there are not enough of them to give you a sense of speed.
So travel speed got upped, but the size of the islands not - size of the world decreased.

weapons range - in beta, combat ranges of 100-200m was the standard, Long range weapons rare, range extender not working for missiles, and luxus equip anyway due to recharge penalty. 500m was sniper range.

I dunno when it started that combatrange was extended. i think making RE working for missiles, and later to balance fairness, removing the recharge penalty of them was the next step to make the world smaller.

Last step to make the game world even smaller: detection/masking. no change anymore for a lone sequer to hide. It cannot see others as far as it can be seen by the second fastest robots ingame. Additional Modules to extend that got introduced to. The world got less space to hide

I do not blame the DEVs for any of this decisions - they all looked rather good when they have been made. What we are missing are the secondary steps that should be done rather now then never:
- less empty spaces in the world (trees? big forrests)
- consequences for agressors still missing

back 2 topic:

server unable to remember pvp flag status when teleporting a player robot from Instance A to Instance B
-> current fix: you cannot teleport with pvp flag
-> desired fix: server remembers pvp status and teleporting with pvp flag always allowed

- > Keep speeds slower and make islands FEEL bigger with better terrain and fewer outposts with more fun things away from outposts.

17 (edited by Kaldenines 2012-01-08 13:25:05)

I think an interesting change to the detection system would be if every time a detector modules cycles, it creates a ping/ripple effect on the radar which everyone can see.

Also something needs to be done to discourage arkhe scouting while not reintroducing gate camping.  Yeah its not an easy one but lets try and think of something smile

+1
-Confucius

you mean "activating detection module will also lower your own masking by 100 rF" ?

No i mean it would create a ripple like a ping (but with a different colour and sound) on the radar.  It would reveal nothing about who is doing the detecting, just that someone is detecting from that location.

+1
-Confucius

Kaldenines wrote:

No i mean it would create a ripple like a ping (but with a different colour and sound) on the radar.  It would reveal nothing about who is doing the detecting, just that someone is detecting from that location.

That defeats the whole point of detecting........

See them before they see you is what detecting is about.

Inappropriate signature.

Scyylla wrote:
Kaldenines wrote:

That defeats the whole point of detecting........

See them before they see you is what detecting is about.

the presence of a module that totally negates the effect of the masking module does defeat the whole point of masking.

also the detection module user reaveals a whole stealthed army without beeing seen. Making him visible while using such an powerfull game mechanic would be only logical, since the masked guys have ZERO indicator that they can be seen at all... they dont even get notified if someone starts to lock them from outside their own visual range.

Stop hijacking my topic ffs! Go create another if you want to discuss something else then Flag system...

U mad Bro?

Just Sayin

U mad Bro?

Doubt it. He will probably just dupe the thread...

Inappropriate signature.