Topic: Resource dispersion on beta-1 island

1. Recently i was noticed that on beta-1 islands (Norhoop, Hokk and Dom) resources are dispersed alot: alot of resource spot are big yellow fields, instead of small red fields. I think even if it is intended, it is not good. All islands should have fields with red bars.

2. Resource fields, what was made in a form of symbols, abuses players. Make good fields, instead of symbol-based.

Re: Resource dispersion on beta-1 island

make random ore respawn, revamp universal scan ammo with artifact scan mechanic to find ores.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

+1 i tired to look @ satan symbols and flags. like this

and WTF you removed titanium from betas? Devs?.. This is really wrong (here should be insult-word).

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

i wonder if this one still exists

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Annihilator wrote:

make random ore respawn, revamp universal scan ammo with artifact scan mechanic to find ores.

+1

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Now call me cynical but since you've just moved back to norhoop and you're whining because the fields arent as rich as they were on a beta 2, seriously? man up!

7 (edited by Hunter 2011-12-22 03:40:58)

Jelan wrote:

Now call me cynical but since you've just moved back to norhoop and you're whining because the fields arent as rich as they were on a beta 2, seriously? man up!

f**k off Jelan. We want equal playing field for all. And correct game-mechanic on the server.

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

+1 Random respawn.
-1 Titan on beta.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Line wrote:

+1 Random respawn.
-1 Titan on beta.

Removing Titan from beta was a bad idea , it has not worked as intended. Beta should be far more resourceful and with random Respawns. I already know around 15 epitron spots and I don't even live there. Very easy to find miners.

RIP PERPETUUM

Jelan wrote:

If your not going  to add content to the discussion then scurry off.  WTB Titan back.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Celebro wrote:
Line wrote:

+1 Random respawn.
-1 Titan on beta.

Removing Titan from beta was a bad idea , it has not worked as intended. Beta should be far more resourceful and with random Respawns. I already know around 15 epitron spots and I don't even live there. Very easy to find miners.

+1

The whole reason I decided to move back to alpha was the fact that I could not mine titan ore.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Titan to alpha did not work because you can live on beta and mine on alpha for free without risk. Even the imba observers have been more risk to random noobs then to those organized alpha miners.

also the distance between beta 2 and alpha island is... one teleport. wow, great incentive to trade and not shooting random trading hauler noob.

wtb no syndicate protection on alpha for most dangerous agents and pirates.

13 (edited by Sundial 2011-12-22 17:31:25)

Annihilator wrote:

Titan to alpha did not work because you can live on beta and mine on alpha for free without risk. Even the imba observers have been more risk to random noobs then to those organized alpha miners.

also the distance between beta 2 and alpha island is... one teleport. wow, great incentive to trade and not shooting random trading hauler noob.

wtb no syndicate protection on alpha for most dangerous agents and pirates.

Why trade when I can just do everything on alpha myself?

Why mine everything on beta at great risk to myself when I can't mine everything there?

Might as well just mine epi now and then and do it all on alpha. If they added titan ore to beta, it might be worth it to mine there.

Sundial wrote:

Why trade when I can just do everything on alpha myself?

Why mine everything on beta at great risk to myself when I can't mine everything there?

Might as well just mine epi now and then and do it all on alpha. If they added titan ore to beta, it might be worth it to mine there.

I doubt turning titan back on for beta is going to change many mining habits. There are really only (2) reasons to mine on beta in the first place; (1) Only source of Epitron, and (2) closer to higher refinery.

If a corporation (or individual) doesn't have access to a lvl (3-4) refinery on beta (as lvl 2's are available on alpha), which means having owning a stablized outpost, then there's no advantage to mining on beta for anything other than Epitron.

Really, I'm saying it doesn't matter at this time. On/Off, corps are either mining on beta or they aren't.

The titan fields are still on beta, they just don't respawn. It would be a painless experiement for the Devs to respawn the titan fields and see if there's any change in mining behavior.

I just don't think that will be the case. We had a long discussion of this in a previous thread, and the only thing that will really disincentivize beta corps off alpha for the majority of mining is for the alpha resources to be under pressure from over-mining. This specifically is designed NOT to happen with titan, meaning titan isn't rare and respawns fast enough there shouldn't be a scarcity.

I'll repeat though; Corps either mine beta or they don't. Those that don't mine beta aren't doing it because there's no titan there, its because they can't or won't make beta mining ops as safe as alpha. They are trading combat time for transport time, probably due to lack of manpower.

Looking at it from another angle though; Why is important where the ore is mined? With the new intrusions, there is already enough reason for outpost owners to undock and generate more PVP. Trying to induce more industrial ganks by forcing beta mining is just crap pvp.

There is a logistical advantage to mining close to your level 4 refinery, if corps want that advantage, they'll mine on beta. It they don't, then there's no harm letting them mine on alpha.

When alpha resources get scarce, with more population, then the logistical advantage will increase and more miners will naturally move to beta.

15 (edited by Sundial 2011-12-22 20:24:12)

I tried to live 100% on beta, but ultimately the logistics of mining/hauling titan ore on alpha is what was the last straw for me personally.

I either painfully haulled the ore with sequers or took a huge risk and used a lithus...

Actually contrary to popular belief, there is more bennefits to mining on beta than you listed arga:

Twice as dense ore fields
Ore fields near outposts
Most fields at 100%

I would tank out my rivalers and mine exclusively on beta. I actually did this for a few weeks and enjoyed it.

What I am saying is if I didn't have to haul titan ore, I would still be living 100% out of beta.

But...

As part of a corp Sun, you don't 'have' to mine eveything. You could mine everything but titan while another corp member, that doesn't have the EP to tank their bot, mines on alpha. Your free of course to want to mine everything on beta, including titan, but from a corporate view it's not an neccessity. And if your mining for yourself/profit then alpha mining is probably better anyway (if less challenging).

Just saying here, that if your mining for your corp and moving resources from alpha to beta (which your first sentance sort of implies) your corporate production is still going to benefit more from getting the closer/denser fields on beta of the other resources, and only hauling titan, then hauling ALL of it to beta. Or, just haul Epi from beta to alpha.

If you enjoy tank mining, then go for it, and arrange someone else to haul titan. smile

17 (edited by Annihilator 2011-12-22 20:45:07)

set up reasonable titan request on your bet aoutposts, and do not shoot any hauler that moves towards your outpost.

you have the power and money to buy titan ore for more then 1 NIC, you can sell epriton on same outpost.

i would gladly do the mining an hauling as freelancer... but most likely im beeing shot by the first player bot when i set foot on beta island - because any noob can shoot me without ANY consequences for himself.

So tell me - why does trading in perpetuum not work?

oh wait... any freelancer is locked out of your outpost anyway.

I wasn't really thinking about freelance hauling, more like other corp members.

But it would really be interesting to get a trade alliance going, which may be something we arrange intraplayer and not rely on any game mechanic.

Still, having the hauling distance larger, would provide greater incentives for the beta owners to particiapate. Because they really can just do it themselves.

Annihilator wrote:

set up reasonable titan request on your bet aoutposts, and do not shoot any hauler that moves towards your outpost.

you have the power and money to buy titan ore for more then 1 NIC, you can sell epriton on same outpost.

i would gladly do the mining an hauling as freelancer... but most likely im beeing shot by the first player bot when i set foot on beta island - because any noob can shoot me without ANY consequences for himself.

So tell me - why does trading in perpetuum not work?

oh wait... any freelancer is locked out of your outpost anyway.

It would not work because my corp cannot lock the island down to make it safe for trading. Not even CIR could do that at the height of their power. What makes you think a small corp could?

I actually did go into alpha and buy the ore from a miner who was alpha based. I just hate doing logistics with a passion especially using sequers, thats why I liked mining on beta. There was very minimal logistics required besides titan ore. I just used 2 detectors and tanked out rivalers, never lost even a single bot and built tons of stuff.

@Arga: Because 62nd is flexible in how we do industry. We are not like the average communist corp that discourages members doing their own production and industry. It helps keep people interested in the game and logging in.

I enjoyed mining on beta. So did several other members in my corp. In the end though it was just not worth it.

Isn't there more logistics with mining on alpha? As you mentioned, the fields on alpha are further away and smaller then on beta, and your still needing to transport epitron from beta, which is fluffier then titan even though you need less of it.

But, I'm not actually against titan being turned back on for beta. It's just that your probably in the very minority of players that would move all mining ops back to beta. Even so, while you personally then get to play the way you enjoy, does it really add more to the game to make logistics and production on beta easier?

Simply low server population makes beta mining easier, because there's just less activity.

I used to mine outside of Heydle all the time, and pirates complained then too about us hugging the station and wanting the devs to remove all ore from within 1000m of outposts so they could gank us.

On the flip side, more population can also mean more players in corps to help secure the islands, in which case trade can flurish and then moving titan to beta becomes profitable and that logistic is removed.

Giving all the resources in big amounts on betas will allow those who already live on it increasing their assets very fast making newbie corporations unable to compete and as a result - unable to get on beta at all. While current population isn't enough big for that, in future we will get this problem for sure.

One possible solution in that case may be implementing huge continents instead of not too big islands, but I don't think we will get those continents in closest future.

So while alpha-only titan doesn't solve this problem much too, it's at least make assets grown a little harder. Same for other resources distribution.

Mineral deposits are fine as they are. Better fix I2.0 instead.

imo the beta islands need more diversity not more uniformity.

But random ore fields = win.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

imo the beta islands need more diversity not more uniformity.

But random ore fields = win.

I understand why random ore fields could be useful to the defender of an island but don't you think it would suck trying to find an ore and searching for 20 mins before actually mining it?  With 20 active people online I understand that your window of uninterupted mining could  be hours upon hours but what does this do for you if the population jumps back up to 500?  Spend precious Beta time finding an ore is going to be hard pressed if your getting roamed every hour.  Your going to have little time to do anything.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

But hey it's beta, it's designed to be dangerous and hard to live.