1 (edited by Burial 2011-11-26 22:11:07)

Topic: Scanning intrusion times

Even thought the update is said to come out 1st of December, I think making this thread will show the developers what we think about scanning out intrusion times.

You’ll be able to scan for intrusion times in the same manner you scan for artifacts. Your trained ninjas will have to get relatively close to the target outpost and use a new geoscanning ammo specifically designed to find out when then next SAP will open. The scan result will tell you the time, with some random inaccuracy depending on your geoscanning extensions, and the remaining time until the SAP opening. Naturally, outpost owners will only have to step out and do a scan to know the time of the next event, but they will also have to be on the lookout for spies trying to scan for it.

In a nutshell, It means that a single enemy sneaking up during the time most of the people are offline can get the time when the next SAP will open - very easy. If I understand correctly, outposts will not be at 100% stability very often, witch is not all that bad considering you need 50% for docking control.

What do you guys think?
With the SAP loots, wouldnt the owners of the outpost do their own SAPs just for the phat loot?

2 (edited by Alexander 2011-11-26 22:15:59)

Re: Scanning intrusion times

To make it all a little more interesting, and to give you all more incentives to do intrusions, all SAPs will drop a loot container. They will do this regardless if you complete the intrusion, or if there is a timeout (a successful defense.)

You don't need to do the SAP to get the loot. In fact defenders will ALWAYS get more loot because there will be times when they aren't attacked.

The loot system should be changed however. If you're at the defence (Deployed on the correct island) or part of the attack (Involved in taking the SAP) you should get a reward rather than a free for all container.

Free for all containers promotes conflict even lone players at the right time an place, can get a reward. I like this.

RIP PERPETUUM

Burial wrote:

Even thought the update is said to come out 1st of December, I think making this thread will show the developers what we think about scanning out intrusion times.

You’ll be able to scan for intrusion times in the same manner you scan for artifacts. Your trained ninjas will have to get relatively close to the target outpost and use a new geoscanning ammo specifically designed to find out when then next SAP will open. The scan result will tell you the time, with some random inaccuracy depending on your geoscanning extensions, and the remaining time until the SAP opening. Naturally, outpost owners will only have to step out and do a scan to know the time of the next event, but they will also have to be on the lookout for spies trying to scan for it.

In a nutshell, It means that a single enemy sneaking up during the time most of the people are offline can get the time when the next SAP will open - very easy. If I understand correctly, outposts will not be at 100% stability very often, witch is not all that bad considering you need 50% for docking control.

What do you guys think?
With the SAP loots, wouldnt the owners of the outpost do their own SAPs just for the phat loot?

Dude... Please quit at playing forums.....

http://i.imgur.com/ylHDK.jpg

Inappropriate signature.

OMG don't do your own SAP unless you hate your corp, read below big_smile

An important sidenote: should the defenders start completing a SAP, technically they will also become “attackers”, and if they win the intrusion they will decrease the stability of their own outpost!

RIP PERPETUUM

Copy paste from the I.2.0.? thread:

intrusion time scanning ammo? WTF? what's the *** purpose of RANDOM intrusion events if you can  scan them down? This actually destroys the current gameplay (where u KNOW when the next intrusion is gonna be), because every top corporation is gonna have to have spying alts on all (major) outposts. This means that all you did was complicate the gameplay regarding the intrusion system for most players and NOT made it fun. If you kept the intrusion system random and with NO scanning timers possible, the system woudl be fun, and roaming squads would have much meaning, thus allowing smaller forces to influence bigger ones. With it, it's again top corps vs top corps but with added complications and added spy alts. Very bad idea and at most a poor attempt to get a couple more accounts.

I like how this presents opportunities for small groups raiding the SAPs in an effort to steal loot.  And yes, this mechanic will promote blob vrs. blob warfare, but whatcha gonna do?  Perp is already blob vrs. blob and so are all FFA pvp games.  Can't get away from it, so might as well add in reasons to get involved as a smaller entity.

Also, to Triglav's copypasta - Everyone keeps misreading a key note of the scanning down timers thing.  There's a chance your timer may come up as inaccurate, even with perfect geoscanning extensions.  Besides that... even if timers were unscannable, everyone is gonna have alts near outposts they want to own.  It's the best way to see if SAPs are up.

Finally, no territory control/conquer system can ever be made perfect due to MMO players with multiple accounts/alts and just general metagaming.  I think everyone in this thread should try to remember this important point and not sperg out about spies and alts.

Celebro wrote:

OMG don't do your own SAP unless you hate your corp, read below big_smile

An important sidenote: should the defenders start completing a SAP, technically they will also become “attackers”, and if they win the intrusion they will decrease the stability of their own outpost!

Yeah, I saw that but technically there is not much difference if the outpost is at 70% or 100% besides being weaker to enemy attacks. Didnt know that the SAP drops loot even without being attacked when i typed the OP. tongue

Burial wrote:

Yeah, I saw that but technically there is not much difference if the outpost is at 70% or 100% besides being weaker to enemy attacks. Didnt know that the SAP drops loot even without being attacked when i typed the OP. tongue

your wrong:

• 75% stability - Reduced prices for service in the outpost, high relation bonuses for industrial facilities, Outpost locking controls.

• 90% Stability - Owners receive high discounts for services and enjoy maximum relation benefits, may also lock the Outpost.

• 100% Stability - Owners not charged for any service and enjoy maximum relation benefits; may also lock the Outpost docking mechanism.

lower stability also means lower refining rate, lower recycling rate, slower production.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Anni: please don't quote the first blog, a lot has changed since then.

yep, but the second blog didnt cancel out that one.

you only said its not possible to "buy" stability. The effect of stability or standing or facility effetivity was untouched in blog2 => blog1 regarding that still valid big_smile

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Annihilator wrote:

yep, but the second blog didnt cancel out that one.

you only said its not possible to "buy" stability. The effect of stability or standing or facility effetivity was untouched in blog2 => blog1 regarding that still valid big_smile

As far as I read that system was removed and replaced with the upgrading system.

Not sure why the scanning thing is such a big issue. First of all the Beta island are all scanned regularly by either randoms, owning corps or enemies. Secondly, the Devs had to create a system that caters to all timezones, having random times for Saps for all outposts means there is a good chance when "you" log on you will probably have a few Saps in your timezone to raid, defend, or capture. This plus the fact that one single Sap cannot make you lose your outpost means you can afford to miss one or 2 when you are not online. This really favours everyone. Holding your own outpost and getting the stability higher means better facilities at you and your corp friends disposal. Its called incentive. With so many Saps occuring at different times you really don't know what to expect in the way of a fight, could be nothing, could be a small roaming gang intent on the loot can, could be a huge blob. This can only promote more smaller scale spontaneous fights .... How is that bad?

I believe the old system meant you could expect a huge blob at the Sap time and its nice to have a variety of combat available (althought the last big fight at Ft Douglas (I think) a few days ago was awesome).

Will have to wait and see once it rolls out, all I see here is a much wider type and variety of conflict and way more strategy involved. Why is this a bad thing?

i wonder that noone commented on the fact that as outpost owner you wont be able to know when someone plans to take your sap.

thats kinda a rollback to the times when some corps signed up to any intrusion just for fun or to phsychically wear down a corp...

They really didn't mention any warning model did they? Like "Dear Mr Corp CEO, sir, your damn station that you have 80% stability with is getting pillaged by some pricks, go there and make them stop!"

And I agree  there's too much brouhaha regarding the timer scanning system, it's not the end of the world with it and there are other addressable issues, auras, better sparks, saploot, landmass, POS, getting more players.. smile

I think we can play without scanning sap's.

As I have said before, currently this system will promote mega-corporations forming to take advantage of the outpost auras + easier timezone defense of SAPs.

Important thing to bear in mind is that this system is just a stepping stone towards fleshed out POS and alliance features. It's not perfect (far from it, I can see at least 2 ways to exploit it), but it's better then what we had before.

Instead of defending at 1 set time with 12+ hours of advance notice, we will see 3-4 day mega-campaigns to destabilize islands. This will require enormous expeditures of stockpiles to dislodge defenders on their home-ground and redline their stockpile.

Activity, logistics, stockpiles and rapid-response CTA's will be most important factor in future.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

As I have said before, currently this system will promote mega-corporations forming to take advantage of the outpost auras + easier timezone defense of SAPs.

Important thing to bear in mind is that this system is just a stepping stone towards fleshed out POS and alliance features. It's not perfect (far from it, I can see at least 2 ways to exploit it), but it's better then what we had before.

Instead of defending at 1 set time with 12+ hours of advance notice, we will see 3-4 day mega-campaigns to destabilize islands. This will require enormous expeditures of stockpiles to dislodge defenders on their home-ground and redline their stockpile.

Activity, logistics, stockpiles and rapid-response CTA's will be most important factor in future.

hmm any one wanna guess where your going first ? smile

if im right i demand payment! tongue

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

I've already done all my required logistics so I'm not going anywhere. smile

Need 1KU haulers ASAP... Devs, make it so!

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

What was the reasoning behind not letting the owner of the outpost take their own sap? That didn't make much sense, especially when the timers can be determined that far in advance.

21 (edited by Celebro 2011-11-28 18:57:10)

I would assume its because:

1. To give attackers a chance to take SAP, owners has the advantage of knowing the exact time (much easily), so there would be no need to defend for 1 hour, just take it and move on to alpha. It creates and proves a presence by the defenders on that island, if they can maintain ownership of OP.

2. Corp owner and allied corps are on same level playing field. They all have to prevent enemies taking the SAP.

Note: Owner is allowed to take SAP at the cost of leveling down their own OP ownership.

RIP PERPETUUM

22 (edited by Scyylla 2011-11-28 19:01:50)

Mara Kaid Pirate of Nia wrote:

What was the reasoning behind not letting the owner of the outpost take their own sap? That didn't make much sense, especially when the timers can be determined that far in advance.

More time to shoot people!

Seriously, the way I look at it is this:

An intrusion is an event where a hostile force intrudes on an outpost held by a corporation. The purpose of this intrusion can be to weaken your enemy or ultimately remove them from owning an outpost. This is done by capitalizing on SAPs (whether it is task related or destruction related). The less SAPs that are taken the stronger your enemies facilities become.

As an outpost holding corp it is your task to defend the points which your enemies can use to weaken your abilities within the outpost. The outpost holding corps are defenders, not intruders. Completing your own SAPs would be like destroying the foundation of your own outpost.

From a pvp perspective:

OMFG!!!!! Corps that own outposts will actually have to have a presence on beta!!!! More people on beta=more pew pew for everyone.

This will also let smaller corps be more involved on beta now as well. Smaller corps and even solo players will have the ability to be a royal pain in the arse to outpost holding corps by completing SAPs. A small corp can roam beta and know that the chances of finding someone are pretty good as any corp that holds an outpost must have a presence on the island to avoid losing SAPs.

Inappropriate signature.

wouldn't it be better if the outpost owner could actively do the SAP (after all its a necessary maintainence procedure!), but it would take longer then for someone to override it?

Example: wrote:

the destruction SAP is something the attacker have to destroy, but the "necessary maintainence service" would be to drain it empty before it dissipates all the excess energy to its sourroundings, damaging the sourrounding area big_smile

Annihilator wrote:

wouldn't it be better if the outpost owner could actively do the SAP (after all its a necessary maintainence procedure!), but it would take longer then for someone to override it?

Example: wrote:

the destruction SAP is something the attacker have to destroy, but the "necessary maintainence service" would be to drain it empty before it dissipates all the excess energy to its sourroundings, damaging the sourrounding area big_smile

Why add unnecessary mechanics that add nothing to the game play?. What about allied corporations the can't do nothing about this.

RIP PERPETUUM

huh? allies could also start draining/neuting

regarding destruction sap what would be more effective then nowadays simply RRing that thing so noone gets the kill...