Topic: Wonder How this is going to effect Perp?

So some old clan mates of mine shot me this link http://mwomercs.com/ .  Seems like Perps not going to be the only internet Space robots stomping around.  Wonder if this is going to hurt or help the game community?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Re: Wonder How this is going to effect Perp?

It's apparently going to be F2P and without Melee.

F2P, not interested.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

ooh. shiney. Name reserved.

Answer: it's gonna.

Sundial wrote:

F2P, not interested.

Hm.

You can pay me and then I'll let you play the game.

Then its really not F2P so you cant feel bad while enjoying a masterpiece.
Don't worry Bro I have your back.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

looks like an FPS to me .... at least I did not find game type description anywhere ...

i doubt that a mutliplayer game that very much sounds like joining from a lobby like world of tanks will lure anyone away from perpetuum smile

i mean such games are fun here and there and yes this is MECHWARRIOR but this is no mmo and is F2p on top tongue i'll surely check it out but like world of tanks i am quite sure this may be fun for a while but will not be more than a game i play here and there for a match or 2.

hopefully the effect on perp will be that Perp-devs increasing their effort in releasing features that MW-online will not have:
- Territorial control
- sandbox mechanics
- mass-battles

it looks like MWO will be something like WoT - it WILL lure away those player that play Perpetuum because its lets you control big modular robots.

Remember:
- some are playing perp because its a sandbox
- some are playing perp because it has mechs/robots
- some are playing perp because its a scifi-mmo and grants you at least a bit of direct control

MWO aspects that can lure away:
- fully twitch based controls
- GFX
- Free2Play
- Modular mechs whith several truly different weapon types (lasers without ammo vs. cone-AoE LBX cannons, etc)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

9 (edited by Edyth 2011-11-04 15:21:48)

f2p?

All they do is make more over powered junk everymonth to make you buy the next installment of mwhahaha.
That and they normally end up filled with 12 year old E-thugs.

all online games will be f2p in the future - deal.

Hopefully their dev studio is more interested getting players than this one is - signed.

The debate is still ongoing for that Snow.

The industry is looking at Swtor at the moment. If the subscription model works there, then the AAA MMO industry will likely stay with a subscription base, with cash shops of course. If SWtor doesn't get the massive income it needs from subscriptions, then we'll see the industry move to the Freemium model.

WoW's buisness model is where everyone was looking a few years ago because it was proven to be highly profitable, the problems arose when failed mmo's like SWG and Conan were not able to reach sustainable profit levels with subscriptions alone.

To digress a little, its important to note that the AAA titles have a very large initial investment, which companies need to recover ontop of recurring and improvement costs. While I'm not privy to income statements for AAA titles that went F2P, I'll speculate that they weren't actually losing money in recurring costs based on thier subscriped bases, but they were not make enough profit to recover sunk cost and to justify continued developer time.

Putting a game into F2P mode does two things. First it removes the sense of entitlement that gamers seem to get from giving a company $10-15 a month. Second, the cash part of the F2P model allows the company to get a direct payment for ongoing development; like getting paid 'piece meal' for production instead of on salary. The harder and faster the team works, the more income the company makes.

If Swtor can prove that the WOW model of subscriptions and paid expansions can still work, that won't kill the F2P market, because its actually possible to push out F2P quality games quick (do a search in Asia for F2P games, there are 1000's of them), but it will solidify the AAA game sub model.

Now, imo, will Swtor sub model work? Republic isn't a standard MMO, its more of a movie experince and they have a huge fan base of players that aren't the typical PC gamer. Undoubtably Swtor will open with huge numbers as THE most anticpated mmo to date (If they were smart they would offer 2 and 3 year subs out of the gate, but that's not really the point here). If these non-typical players are movie goers, they are used to spending more than $40 a month on tickets, so a $15 monthly subscription probably looks like a bargin. The vetern MMO player will just accept that as the standard fee. So really, yes. I think it has a good chance to succed in the subscription model.

We will see in december how a AAA F2P game will work out: Firefall

I will try it out as it offers things i like: twitch based, scifi, cellshading, action big_smile

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Completely different games by the looks of it so doubtful it will affect us much.

Proud member of New Eden Exiles, SQUID Alliance.

Yep, like I said, there are many genres of games that work as F2P. I think Firefall is supposed to be the first FPS MMO, if I remember correctly, and FPS's are very well suited for F2P/Freemium. One reason for this is the more casual play nature of FPS scenerios, I mean casual in time not in expereince. Firefall should (probably will) provide a rich user experience that you can be in/out of in 15 to 25 minutes. The 'pay' part comes in where players can choose to spend RMT instead of time.

The only way I found perpetuum was through Google search "Mech Warrior Online".  I know for a fact I was not the  only one so it worries me a little.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Just want to add that though a subscription model adds to "player entitlement" it also adds to player loyalty.  I can spend 2 months in a F2P and walk away without a backward wave(and have done) because I invested nothing into it.  It's a different mindset with a subscription mmo.  The give and take in a sub model is important.. people playing F2P for actual free (not using the cash-shop) are literally just bodies to warm the seats around those who ARE using the CS -- and to boot, then you compete with them via how much money you're willing to invest (Pay2Win), and if you don't invest, you don't win - Forsaken World is a pretty decent model of that.

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

well considering its been weeks since i have played perp to any extent, I registered my nic over there. Perp, you had the chance and blew it, but you have about 50 more days before my 12 accounts go away, so get with it and pull me back. And no you cannot have my stuff as I may return someday and need it.

Ville wrote:

The only way I found perpetuum was through Google search "Mech Warrior Online".  I know for a fact I was not the  only one so it worries me a little.

yep this game needs advertising lol

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

19 (edited by Jack Jombardo 2011-11-05 14:43:33)

Snowman wrote:

all online games will be f2p in the future - deal.

I hope not sad.

While Perpetuum and EvE comunitys are harsh ... they are nothink against any f2p anti-comunity I'm awar off!
And the more populate the f2p game is, the wors is the anti-comunity.

PS: Firefall looks more like Quake or any other shooter but with 3. Person View (and not realy like a AAA title).

Mechwarrior Online is "planed" for Summer 2012 ...
- let's see, which futures will be still in wink
- let's see, if it will be realy Summer 2012
- it needs much more then Lego-Mechs to make it a killer (while Lego-Mechs are cool, I love T3 Ships)

Arga wrote:

I think Firefall is supposed to be the first FPS MMO.

For me, the first true mmofps is Planetside (maybe Tribe but i tought its more like a multiplayer game, even if i didnt test it).

About Firefall, looks interesting, but ressemble tabula rasa and global agenda for the graphical design, and i fear about no complex gameplay, just shoot endlessly no thank.

Firefall seems to be traded as successor of Planetside. They are not advertising it as MMO, but it looks like it will be more MMO then GA or WoT.

for me it looks like "Tabula Rasa without diceroll damage"

The devs thank you for advertising another robot game on the perpetuum forums. Or not...

Hug wrote:

i doubt that a mutliplayer game that very much sounds like joining from a lobby like world of tanks will lure anyone away from perpetuum smile

i mean such games are fun here and there and yes this is MECHWARRIOR but this is no mmo and is F2p on top tongue i'll surely check it out but like world of tanks i am quite sure this may be fun for a while but will not be more than a game i play here and there for a match or 2.

Do you know how many people have left this game for world of tanks?

Surprise wrote:
Hug wrote:

Games like WoT are fillers when you're waiting for things to finish or happen in games like Perp etc.

They are snacks in between the main meals. smile

my 1.5 cents.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Gremrod wrote:
Surprise wrote:
Hug wrote:

Games like WoT are fillers when you're waiting for things to finish or happen in games like Perp etc.

They are snacks in between the main meals. smile

my 1.5 cents.

Other people may not have the same view, in their eyes, Perpetuum may be the snack between the main meal.