Topic: Plasma and NIC supply

With the recent increases in plasma drops, I think this is a topic that deserves some attention before it causes real damage. I've heard several reports of people making 10M/h from PvE farming in plasma alone. Although I do not particularly care about the exact NIC/h from these activities, I think we'll see rampant inflation soon if we let plasma make up such a large fraction of farming income.

Now, the idea of this thread is not to discuss farming income, but rather if such a dramatic increase in NIC supply (overall) is harmful. Do we need more NIC sinks? Do we need to ensure a higher proportion of income is from non-NIC rewards?

Re: Plasma and NIC supply

Perhaps it's time to give plasma a use other than just being converted into cash.
Would be nice if someone could do the numbers with market prices to give us an idea of the inflation rate.

+1
-Confucius

3 (edited by Annihilator 2011-10-30 13:25:51)

seems like higher rank npcs are not difficult enough for the reward they yield.

but increasing the difficulty of higher up npcs will cause whining of certain forum players for sure wink
(because it would lower their Kernel/minute farming rate)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

4 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2011-10-30 13:35:05)

Seeing the NIC supply in circulation should be easy for the DEVs, I'd be very interested in seeing such a chart!

Edit: Just looking at global market charts for the past 1 month, it certainly looks like more is being sold.

So you guys want a working market, but also want to lower the global server nic creation....  Just fyi, im the kind of players that can make good amount of nic/h solo, but im also the kind of players that buy some mods/bots that i dont have access to otherwise, at high prices. Ok for higher sink, not ok for lowering income = very bad idea imo.

Annihilator wrote:

will cause whining of certain forum players for sure wink
(because it would lower their Kernel/minute farming rate)

Lol at this. You guys speak like you all are some sort of game design consultants. You are just players, and until proven otherwise, you dont have any greater insight about the game that anyone else. So please cool down about all your change this/remove that/balance this/nerf that, because it sucks certainly some development capacity for the devteam; and excuse me but who whine? Who create topics? The whiner is the one that defend actual balance, wich has proven for a year to somehow work, or the guy whining because he cant make all that nic? Ill explain you someday Lucius, its all about fitting, extensions, and obviously some player skill/reflexion...

6 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2011-10-30 15:01:16)

Lucius Marcellus wrote:

Now, the idea of this thread is not to discuss farming income, but rather if such a dramatic increase in NIC supply (overall) is harmful. Do we need more NIC sinks? Do we need to ensure a higher proportion of income is from non-NIC rewards?

Cobalt, did you missunderstand the topic? I was not suggesting to decrease total profitability of farming, but rather the sources of this income. There is a huge difference between making the income come from drops such as CPUs and mkII etc (as in artifact scanning) and pure NIC (i.e. plasma). One encourages trade and interaction while the other just blows up inflation.

I wasn't touching the market for the last month. Now I am, so naturally more is being sold to me.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Plasma in not good for the market , it devalues NIC and creates inflation specially with increase PVE activity and higher plasma rewards from NPC mobs. Some form of NIC sink is in order soon or some use for the plasma other than a money printing machine.

RIP PERPETUUM

Lucius Marcellus wrote:

Seeing the NIC supply in circulation should be easy for the DEVs, I'd be very interested in seeing such a chart!

Edit: Just looking at global market charts for the past 1 month, it certainly looks like more is being sold.

Did you see a spike in prices at all or just volume?

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

10 (edited by Gremrod 2011-10-30 19:01:36)

ok so I looked at titan ore.

Global 1 year. Now we know that stats on the market have not been recorded for a year. But I used 1 year anyway.

titan @ Global 1 year starts an avg of 0.22 and ends today at an avg 0.44

Calculate inflation formula

((0.44-0.22)/0.22)*100 = 100

That gives us a 100% inflation of titan ore.

Of course this is a single item, but I picked Titan ore since it is the very basic build block in the game.

But if you go and look at HDT. You will see that is has deflated.

We would need to build an index for all items to really track the true rate of deflation or inflation.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

There is also an increase in the amount of people to counter inflation.

One could weight an inflation index by value (Q*P).

And indeed, the population size matters a lot too, which is why I'd like to know the TotalNIC/AverageActivePlayersLastWeek

Gremrod wrote:

ok so I looked at titan ore.

Global 1 year. Now we know that stats on the market have not been recorded for a year. But I used 1 year anyway.

titan @ Global 1 year starts an avg of 0.22 and ends today at an avg 0.44

Calculate inflation formula

((0.44-0.22)/0.22)*100 = 100

That gives us a 100% inflation of titan ore.

Of course this is a single item, but I picked Titan ore since it is the very basic build block in the game.

But if you go and look at HDT. You will see that is has deflated.

We would need to build an index for all items to really track the true rate of deflation or inflation.

You forgot to take into account Titan becoming Alpha ore only.

14 (edited by Arga 2011-10-31 17:23:30)

Lucius Marcellus wrote:

One could weight an inflation index by value (Q*P).

And indeed, the population size matters a lot too, which is why I'd like to know the TotalNIC/AverageActivePlayersLastWeek

The golden triangle was a NIC faucet (it was removed because it was a bad game mechanic, click button, drive, click button; NIC) and I would hazard that more NIC/hour was created with that; it was less per person, but many more players were using it.

As long as only a portion of the population has access to the NIC faucet, inflation won't be rampant. Any growing economy is going to have inflation, its only an issue when it gets out of control.

The new I 2.0 is supposed to have some very large NIC sinks, 1B NIC to buy 100%, if that is implemented, it will remove many hours of farming from the market. But this should also be OK, since there should be more players out on beta earning that kind of NIC.

The other GOOD thing about inflation, is that just 'sitting' on NIC means your losing value. This is a benefit to players that are actively playing the game. If you log off with 1B NIC and come back 3 months later, your buying power is going to be reduced, that 1B NIC may only be worth .9B now.

EDIT: I'm not saying Inflation is or isn't out of control, simply that if it is a reasonable 1-2% per month that is OK for a video game. 10% per month is out of control.

Those 10M/H people are using 3~4 accounts and grinding very intinsively to get the maximum amount out of the spawn.  The general population in a whole is only able to produce ~5 mil/H.  I would worry about inflation atm in general ores seeing how being able to farm a spawn for hours is more profitable versus mining (Not Epi).  A lot of my dedicated miners turned into spawn farmers, but inversely I would however expect a decrease in the commodities, especially in tellesis.  75% of my guys  typically farm a spawn then recycle the loot then sell the commodities.  "hint, hint"

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

16 (edited by Sundial 2011-10-31 18:48:47)

Ville wrote:

Those 10M/H people are using 3~4 accounts and grinding very intinsively to get the maximum amount out of the spawn.  The general population in a whole is only able to produce ~5 mil/H.  I would worry about inflation atm in general ores seeing how being able to farm a spawn for hours is more profitable versus mining (Not Epi).  A lot of my dedicated miners turned into spawn farmers, but inversely I would however expect a decrease in the commodities, especially in tellesis.  75% of my guys  typically farm a spawn then recycle the loot then sell the commodities.  "hint, hint"

Ville, speaking from a balance perspective, should their increased risk justify increased reward on such a magnitude?

What about when/if ore spawns are made random? How many miners will be left after that tongue

Im a big miner / harvester / producer myself, but sometimes I wonder these things.

On a side note: the market forces dictate the price of ores currently. They have decided that the ore is not very valuable.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Sundial wrote:

On a side note: the market forces dictate the price of ores currently. They have decided that the ore is not very valuable.

Maybe plamsa pricing should be dynamic per outpost. The more plasma sold, the lower the price, which will add the same type of supply demand dynamic to farming as there is in mining and playing the market.

It would still be an NPC buy order, per outpost. So if there is a lot of sales in one outpost that drives the price down you can still take a little time to drive it to another outpost that is paying more.

If all the outpost pricing is depressed, then you'll know that there is too much plasma being farmed.

Prices drop 1% for every 10k units and go back up .5% every 1 hour that there are no sales.

10M NIC at 225 NIC is roughly 45K, resulting in something like a 5% reduction. On alpha islands, where there are many farmers, this could drive the price down quickly.

There should be a cap/floor also, so the plasma doesn't become worthless.

But again, you can always bring it to another outpost that is less busy...

Arga wrote:
Sundial wrote:

Maybe plamsa pricing should be dynamic per outpost. The more plasma sold, the lower the price, which will add the same type of supply demand dynamic to farming as there is in mining and playing the market.

It would still be an NPC buy order, per outpost. So if there is a lot of sales in one outpost that drives the price down you can still take a little time to drive it to another outpost that is paying more.

If all the outpost pricing is depressed, then you'll know that there is too much plasma being farmed.

Prices drop 1% for every 10k units and go back up .5% every 1 hour that there are no sales.

10M NIC at 225 NIC is roughly 45K, resulting in something like a 5% reduction. On alpha islands, where there are many farmers, this could drive the price down quickly.

There should be a cap/floor also, so the plasma doesn't become worthless.

But again, you can always bring it to another outpost that is less busy...

Yep, it definitely could use a form of diminished returns to encourage shaking farming up, so one spawn is not clearly better than another at all given times depending on what is being farmed the most on certain islands.

One problem with it is the majority of spawns on islands are the same faction (the color of the island). So the majority of the spawns would give less NIC return.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Sundial wrote:

Ville, speaking from a balance perspective, should their increased risk justify increased reward on such a magnitude?

What about when/if ore spawns are made random? How many miners will be left after that tongue

The more you bring out on the field the more you should reap the benefits of what you get. 

Ugh... dynamic Ore spawns...... As long as they have a universal miner charge, like the harvesting one =P

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Dynamic Ore spawns would not need a universal miner charge, but a revised geoscanning mechanic.

Arga: while i think your idea is not that bad, it would mostly hurt the lower end, not those its aiming at. As long as someone with the power to solo any high-end spawn, can sell his plasma at the same spot as the guy who hardly can handle a first star spawn... it would solve nothing.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

21 (edited by Arga 2011-10-31 21:37:20)

I'm not wholly convinced that there is rampent inflation, but the little guy is always hit harder if there is inflation. 10% less buying power is 10% less across the board, but someone with 10M NIC already has a lot of buying power, so they have 9M NIC instead of 10M. They starter guy that is trying to scrape up 100K now has to earn 110K to buy the same item is harder hit because thier earning power is so much less.

This is much the same issue in the debate against flat taxes. Take 10% from a millionaire and they can still buy luxery items with thier 900k, take 10% away from someone making 40k and that's going to impact food and shelter.

However in this case, the little guy is likely to drag that plasma to which ever outpost is offering the best prices (non-beta) because getting an extra couple k is worth the time, while the hard core farmer is also likely to hunt down the best outpost because it could be millions of NIC difference.

Plasma could be a 'repeatable' quest item too, so everyone can get 100% value on the first 1000 units they turn in per day, which would help the new guy but not mean much in the overall volume of the big farmers.

Again though, I'm not even sure there needs an adjustment. I only put this one out there because Indy income is 100% dependant on the market while ratting is 100% independant of it; and THAT could very well lead to inflation.

The objective of all of you is trying to standardize player experience. The only result of this will be shallow game, with no players. Sandbox mean opportunity, becoming rich if you know how to etc...  A veteran with same EP than me maybe wont be able to do the 10M/H, so what?

In your idea of "balance" and "working economy", you want to eliminate all the special little things that make a sandbox a sandbox. Find the good spot, accept the danger, reap the reward. In what *** game were said that veteran and long time followers should not get many more income per time played?
Your calling about inflation, everybody with a sense of logic know with such a small playerbase, it wont happens.

Biggest corps = internal markets, no NIC influx in open economy, no inflation.
Small corps/players = no NIC production power to make inflation incontrolable.

All is all about is not inflation ,admit it. All this is about is: Why a guys could make ten times more than a yougling in the same time? Wake up, it always existed.  If my wealth production capacity was the same of a newbie/ half time player, i wouldnt farm at all.  And Lucius wouldnt sell his T4 mods at over the top prices (no personal here, you follow the trend), because nobody would spend 8M for example for a T4 med shield, or 65M for a HM MK2 like i did.

You guys talking about inflation?  Care to show the stats, because ive seen someday ago Heavy mechs MK2 at not so much more than production cost.
Show the maths, show the curves, then we will talk about inflation and how to circumvent it. If it exist at all.

Arga wrote:

Again though, I'm not even sure there needs an adjustment. I only put this one out there because Indy income is 100% dependant on the market while ratting is 100% independant of it

What? Ratting income is 100% independant, but what do you do with all your NICS? Spend them on the market. Or leave them in your wallet, in that case theres no inflation, just NIC volume increase. But some seems to confuse those two parameters.

Inflation 1rst reason is peoples make easy nic too fast. But the 2nd and mandatory reason for inflation, is sellers inflating their prices. Everyone could be billionnaire, and no inflation happens. If nobody would up his prices, we would end up with increased buying power for "money vets" and same buy power for newbies (if its your problem with inflation). If you up the prices in line with NIC in world (and not in economy, cause adding NIC in economy is always a consequence of upping prices (given a fix amount of players/transaction, lets not overcomplicate it) , not the other way around), then yes newbie will have a hard time buying anything.

So...  if you really care about inflation, and fear big farmers will create it, remember the only deciders of inflation is the sellers, producers etc...

Well so far i've added about 200 million nic into the economy by selling plasma from 3 days of farming. The purpose of farming was to gather industrial beacons for golden mech kernals, however during these 3 days I obtained exactly 0 industrial mech beacons and just flooded the economy with more NIC.

Crappy new industrial kernal system.

24 (edited by Norrdec 2011-11-01 17:01:14)

nvm

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

25 (edited by Cobalt 2011-11-01 17:20:26)

Spartan wrote:

Well so far i've added about 200 million nic into the economy by selling plasma from 3 days of farming.

What did you bough for 200M NIC?  Because if its still in your wallet, its not in the economy, its in the server NIC total. Thats not exactly the same? Well i dont know *** what im talking about, i never read economics 101 but im pretty sure its not the same. Economy is currency trade, not currency at all. If everyone of us farmed all day long but never bought anything, there would be 0 NIC in perp economy? Surely its more complex but hey, just trying to understand

and just flooded the economy with more NIC.

So you spent them then. Im ok with your statement if its the case. BUT, on the other hand, if you spent them, you helped the economy AKA the market, by making a currency movement. You prefer rich and poor, with a working market, or no working market at all?  Because one cant come on another thread, say the market is dead, then come here and say currency increase is bad. I dont get the logic in that...

Crappy new industrial kernal system.

Nothing to say, 100% true. Some deciders dont want peoples to have the medium miner modules T4 it seems tongue

Last thing, you said you farmed for three days. That dont means anything to me. Please give us a precise amount of time, like how many hours. 3 days of play is EXTREMELY relative, especially in a game like this one.

Because if your 3 days of farm equals 30 hours, you can also say its one or two months of farm for a casual... got my point?