Topic: Remove walking

Yes, remove it, it's boring. Introduce teleporting. Rebalance missions accordingly. Introduce teleport disrupting modules. Bigger bots, longer time to teleport etc.

2 (edited by Sundial 2011-10-16 01:18:05)

Re: Remove walking

I don't know if you are serious, but I think the current travel / teleport / highway system could use some looking at.

So you are essentially proposing making it more like EVE?

I dislike the whole idea of static teleports myself, it makes things hard to balance between gate camping and invincibility. It also makes it very tough to escape roaming gankers even if you are heavily tanked.

Like alot of people have previously suggested, you should be randomly deployed somewhere on the coast / some meters away from a teleport node when jumping in (if you are in a group it should be able to be calibrated so you have a common entry point)

Leaving the island should work in a similar manner, there should be a "spin up time" like you suggested based on bot size. I think it should be at minimum 30 seconds for the smallest bots and use a signifigant ammount of accumulator.

IMO this is one mechanic that needs some serious looking at. ATM on beta if I am close to the internal, I am literally invincible.

On beta islands there should be no protection when jumping in and a cooldown on teleporting because gatecamping would become impossible due to the semi random nature of entry points. IMO the whole idea of "Syndicate protection" is stupid and just makes the whole system feel silly.

IMO this is one things that EVE got right that this game got wrong.

More highways please, no static teleports.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Rename teleporting Warpgates.

Also remove the landmasses...and put the game in space....

OH WAIT....

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

On another note, we can deploy tiny teleport beacons, why should it not be a module that we can use on our bots?

can i get a teleport-inhibitor please? big_smile

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

7 (edited by Sundial 2011-10-16 02:10:04)

I propose a new module be added to the game:

Module: Beta Safe Log
Warm Up Time: 120 Seconds
Accumulator Usage: None
CPU: 0
Reactor: 0
Weight: 0 kg

This remove walking thing can't be serious but maybe he has the opposite effect of eve introducing walking into their game lol

Less walking in game will certainly help the boredem,each time you want to accomplish something in game , I really don't know how without breaking the balancing.

RIP PERPETUUM

Sundial wrote:

I don't know if you are serious, but I think the current travel / teleport / highway system could use some looking at.

Exactly ... make it more like EVE (teleport to any point within the island with a mouse click/ warp gates if you want to go between islands). This concept works very well in EVE and it should work here too, after all this is a copy of EVE. And i am very serious about it, since i found out that about 60% of time i spend here is doing nothing but driving my bot to a position, and i just don't think i can do it anymore. sad

Iam Abanana wrote:
Sundial wrote:

Exactly ... make it more like EVE (teleport to any point within the island with a mouse click/ warp gates if you want to go between islands). This concept works very well in EVE and it should work here too, after all this is a copy of EVE. And i am very serious about it, since i found out that about 60% of time i spend here is doing nothing but driving my bot to a position, and i just don't think i can do it anymore. sad

This isn't Eve........

It needs to stay that way.....

Inappropriate signature.

Scyylla wrote:

This isn't Eve........

I don't want it to be completely like eve, but in this aspect i would. It is just that i feel that my youth, my best days are being thrown away because of this endless walks.
Firstly, i would like if someone could explain to me why this system is good, and why it should remain as it is.
Secondly, if it is supposed to remain this way, tell me how you cope with the boredom of walking. Am i missing something? Teach me how to enjoy the walks please.

play battlefield if you want to skip the walking before battles.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

13 (edited by Celebro 2011-10-16 23:21:01)

If you don't like walking, pay a fee:) http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/50931/#p50931

RIP PERPETUUM

Iam Abanana wrote:
Scyylla wrote:

This isn't Eve........

I don't want it to be completely like eve, but in this aspect i would. It is just that i feel that my youth, my best days are being thrown away because of this endless walks.
Firstly, i would like if someone could explain to me why this system is good, and why it should remain as it is.
Secondly, if it is supposed to remain this way, tell me how you cope with the boredom of walking. Am i missing something? Teach me how to enjoy the walks please.

Yes you are missing something..

Your bridge named Jita is --->     go back to eve if you want to play trolls

Inappropriate signature.

Iam Abanana wrote:

Because its robots and robots walk. If they didn't walk they wouldn't be robots and you would be playing a different game..

Would it help if we had a working autopilot?

This threads highlights an issue with travel in this game.

1. If someone made a highway system like the one present in this game in real life, they would be shot. Why should highways not go from the teleports all the way to the outposts especially on alpha 1 islands? Is this an intended mechanic to slow players down?
2. We still lack a good auto travel system even that can go on a single island (still do not even have the ability to make our own paths yet)

Lana Torrin wrote:
Iam Abanana wrote:

Because its robots and robots walk. If they didn't walk they wouldn't be robots and you would be playing a different game..

Yes it would. But to clarify, maybe the name of the thread is misleading. I should have called it "introduce evelike teleporting/warping", because obviously i don't want to remove walking completely, but the concept of the long walks.

or if you don't like teleporting/warping, see how incredible hulk does it with jumping (first 30sec of the movie):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMCAjnKnnJg

Iam Abanana wrote:
Lana Torrin wrote:
Iam Abanana wrote:

Yes it would. But to clarify, maybe the name of the thread is misleading. I should have called it "introduce evelike teleporting/warping", because obviously i don't want to remove walking completely, but the concept of the long walks.

or if you don't like teleporting/warping, see how incredible hulk does it with jumping (first 30sec of the movie):

If you did that you would get exactly the same problem you have in eve which is to shrink the universe, and our universe is already small enough.. Also the concept of warping around (or at least moving very fast around) between otherwise isolated locations works fine in space, but how you could possibly implement something like that on the ground, without making it look odd, is beyond me.

There was a devblog with 'spark jumping' described in it a while back (essentially clone jumping seeing as you understand eve terminology) but thats not going to fix the problem you say you are having.

I don't think I get this problem though because for me, walking around IS the game..

Lana Torrin wrote:
Iam Abanana wrote:
Lana Torrin wrote:

If you did that you would get exactly the same problem you have in eve which is to shrink the universe, and our universe is already small enough.. Also the concept of warping around (or at least moving very fast around) between otherwise isolated locations works fine in space, but how you could possibly implement something like that on the ground, without making it look odd, is beyond me.

There was a devblog with 'spark jumping' described in it a while back (essentially clone jumping seeing as you understand eve terminology) but thats not going to fix the problem you say you are having.

I don't think I get this problem though because for me, walking around IS the game..

It would not shrink the universe. The size of the universe would remain the same, not an inch bigger or smaller.

Whether it is teleporting, warping or jumping as i suggested in an earlier post, i don't really care... it's just one particle effect or the another. The mechanics behind it is what's important.

Sorry for pushing this, but am i the only one that finds the amout of walking in this game tiresome? It seems like all the rest of you are cool with it and would like it to remain as it is.

Some kind of warping can be useful in tactics, but not as alternative to usual walking.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

There are (2) things games use extensively to control the dimensions of a world; Bag (cargo) space and Travel time.

Its basically MMO 101 - as the world matures/grows bag space increases and travel time decreases.

This concept holds true for Perp too. When we got more Islands, we got highways.

We can, and should, expect travel to speed up as the world grows larger.

There are already internal teleport systems on the islands and highways mostly between them that make it fairly quick to reach most areas of these small Islands.

Walking time is exposure time. I think the Devs have done a good job so far of balancing the travel time with the previous expansion of 6 new islands. At some point in the future, it may work in the game to never have to walk between outposts, but your always going to have to travel the 'last mile' on foot.

Perp is primarily a PVP based game, so its important that players are out in the world where they are exposed, but I agree with the point that is has to be balanced. Repetitive travel is boring, simply because the travel time isn't releveant in the repetition; meaning (10) 6 minute trips are just as boring as (10) 3 minute trips. Increasing cargo space will reduce repetition and make travel less boring without changing travel times at all.

Arga wrote:

Repetitive travel is boring, simply because the travel time isn't releveant in the repetition; meaning (10) 6 minute trips are just as boring as (10) 3 minute trips. Increasing cargo space will reduce repetition and make travel less boring without changing travel times at all.

if that ONE trip takes almost same time as those 10 trips with the smaller cargo - why not. Then your exposed for the very same time - under the current system.

For myself, i dont really see the issue in walking time as it is. I see the issue for myself, that i cannot effectively stay in that place where i had traveled too.
My Combat Robots cargo is full with Ammo and a field container when i dock off, and the Equip has to be carefully adjusted for the thing i want to do. Most times that means im SLOW (Seth without LWF).
It takes about half an hour to get to a grinding spot, just to realise, someone else is already there (thats why i hate static spawns). If i'm lucky, i'm kinda permarunning my 6 medium laser until my ammo is empty (with 2-3s cycletime thats rather fast.

And then? log out in position? and continue next day? no, because first i have to haul the stuff back and forth and bring me new ammo.  If i do decide to stay in place - next time i log in, it could happen that i spawn right into a roaming caravan or someone asking for me to help - my answer:
sorry, im 30 minutes away from next terminal, can you survive that long?

... you get what i mean?

other example would be the famous risk vs. reward beta farming: you go there, farm four an hour, and in a few seconds your overrun by three guys in two assaults and one ewar. Your effort of the last hours + your equip all gone poof in a few seconds to some guys in stuff that is worth a few minutes of gameplay.

offtop:
i would like to remove teleports and make huge continents with highways
seriously

Movement as it is now is not only an inslut to the brain, but it's also a hazard for people with developing/developed RSA (repetitive strain injury). The hand position where you hold your right mouse button down for a long time is one of the worst positions. I expect to see a lot of thousands-forints lawsuits in the near future.

Personally I would like to see a mobile teleporter to an outpost on the island, but it has too many PVP exploits for now, maybe once beta outposts are locked by owner, this could work. This means if your NPC farming on beta and dont control the outposts, this device would be useless. But if you do, you could be out roaming the island defense and TP back to help defend/take SAPs if they activate. Your trading cargo space for travel.