1 (edited by Scyylla 2011-10-14 15:17:00)

Topic: Alpha Observer Removal

The more I think about the removal of observers from alpha the more I realize it caters to people who want to risk nothing.........

All the complaints stem from the fact that "some" of the miners out there want to be able to load their indy bots with tunings and rechargers just so they can get the most out of mining. They absolutely refuse to see that you can fit to counter the observers and anything else that stumbles on you. The "no risk for all the reward" group isn't willing to do anything other then what gets them the most ore....

Why not make it so I can fit my combat bots for full dps, full tank, full recharge and a full boat of ewar???? That is in essence what just happened for the miners. You just allowed them to be as effective as they could possibly be with no consequences. How about you just scatter plasma and kernels on the ground? Rewards for no risk!!!!!

**Before all the whining about pve/pvp players wanting to ruin a miners experience-- I am a miner**

The one good side effect is that it might stimulate some more beta traffic for kernel gathering...

Inappropriate signature.

Re: Alpha Observer Removal

how long does your miner survive against a superior observer IF you have fitted defense?

i know my tank-fitted seth would die in seconds if i get within 400m, since shield bonus removal and repair tuning nerf.

the non defense miner will also die to:
roaming 1rst rank yagel/castel/prometheus
roaming 1rst rank arbalest

its doesnt matter which npc comes, if you dont fit with at least a little bit defense, you will lose your bot. It doesnt need an artifical overspecced roaming NPC to create a "Threat".

if you think its not risk without observer - tell me: what do you do if a player waspish appears on your beta-map radar when your out with a mining mech? standing still and waiting for it to pass?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

3 (edited by Scyylla 2011-10-14 15:35:09)

Annihilator wrote:

how long does your miner survive against a superior observer IF you have fitted defense?

i know my tank-fitted seth would die in seconds if i get within 400m, since shield bonus removal and repair tuning nerf.

the non defense miner will also die to:
roaming 1rst rank yagel/castel/prometheus
roaming 1rst rank arbalest

its doesnt matter which npc comes, if you dont fit with at least a little bit defense, you will lose your bot. It doesnt need an artifical overspecced roaming NPC to create a "Threat".

if you think its not risk without observer - tell me: what do you do if a player waspish appears on your beta-map radar when your out with a mining mech? standing still and waiting for it to pass?

Running away is a valid tactic. Nobody said you had to make a fit to sit and tank everything. You don't have to be able to kill the spawn either. You just need to be aware of it and take measures to not get popped.

One simple mod--- SIGNAL DETECTOR ---!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sacrificing one head slot is evidently too much to ask. I understand wanting to get the most out of whatever you are doing however not being willing to sacrifice 1 slot to make sure you don't get popped is a bit crazy.

I can't tell you how many people I have seen type in general chat-- "I won't undock till they fix the superior observer so it doesn't shoot me." (or something to that effect). Too lazy to fit one mod........ Too lazy to sacrifice 1 tuning to ensure they don't blow up.

Hell, I sacrifice 1 wep stab to add a recharger on my combat toons Artemis so my lasers will keep firing... Maybe the devs should change the dispersion of all bots so I hit them every time.......Or better yet make my lasers use 0 acc, have no cycle time so they always fire, never miss a target and do critical hit damage every time!!!!

At least that way the pve/pvp guys can get the most out of their bots and chosen "careers" with little to no risk too....

Inappropriate signature.

Normal roaming caravans still pose a threat to alpha miners, a threat they can manage - in contrary to observers. They were like a thunderstorm, the only thing you could do about it is run for cover, but most of the time they were faster than you. And it didn't only affect miners, but new, inexperienced players as well.

For those veteran players who miss them and liked to farm them, we'll have a new feature very soon, where you can fight high level npcs for high level loot. Expect a blog post about it next week.

5 (edited by Scyylla 2011-10-14 15:44:32)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Normal roaming caravans still pose a threat to alpha miners, a threat they can manage - in contrary to observers. They were like a thunderstorm, the only thing you could do about it is run for cover, but most of the time they were faster than you. And it didn't only affect miners, but new, inexperienced players as well.

For those veteran players who miss them and liked to farm them, we'll have a new feature very soon, where you can fight high level npcs for high level loot. Expect a blog post about it next week.

The last part is great news! Thanks for the info!

Now to the first part:

The counter for a miner on the wandering spawns is to move out of range till they pass.. That is fine. LWF allows you to do that. Just like a signal detector allows you to see the bad guys meandering over to kill you. The signal detector gives more then enough notice to move away while that exceptionally fast (will move on a lot faster then a wandering spawn) observer passes. One simple module makes the insanely fast SO manageable. It's just "some" of the miners arent willing to sacrifice the yield bonus to do the smart thing and make sure they survive.

I completely understand that the new players were getting wtfpwnd the first time they ran across any observer however why not just eliminate the observers from the starter islands? That gives a safer haven for the new players to grow and for the no effort group of miners that have to have the maximum yield a place they can get it?

Inappropriate signature.

6 (edited by Sundial 2011-10-14 16:33:37)

Scyylla wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

Now to the first part:

The counter for a miner on the wandering spawns is to move out of range till they pass.. That is fine. LWF allows you to do that. Just like a signal detector allows you to see the bad guys meandering over to kill you. The signal detector gives more then enough notice to move away while that exceptionally fast (will move on a lot faster then a wandering spawn) observer passes. One simple module makes the insanely fast SO manageable. It's just "some" of the miners arent willing to sacrifice the yield bonus to do the smart thing and make sure they survive.

I completely understand that the new players were getting wtfpwnd the first time they ran across any observer however why not just eliminate the observers from the starter islands? That gives a safer haven for the new players to grow and for the no effort group of miners that have to have the maximum yield a place they can get it?

1. Tellesis SO goes faster than a termis or rivaler with an LWF.
2. Also to fit a detector on a miner bot would mean hurting cap stability a good deal. (I know, not optimal returns)
3. With a base detection of 80, you do not have much to work with. "Get another account much?"

I am a miner that fits for defense (my rivaler has a .3 shield conversion ratio, 18K effective HP, 75% demob resistance). I mine on the beta islands, where I have learned observer routes and setup scouts to alert me to any roaming spawns, observers or other players.

Avoiding observers is possible, however I feel that roaming spawns are the better choice for alpha 2 islands. Grand observers are fine as well.

The imballance is SO's on alpha islands. GO's are fine.

If people wan't to mine in relative safety and be able to take a piss, I feel they should be able to on alpha 2 islands. Beta is another story cool. Roaming spawns will still gank AFK miners there. Nothing has changed but the amount of time you have to react has been increased.

To the devs:

Please put Grand Observers back on alpha 2, they made life a bit more interesting and could be solo killed if you were careful. Since players could kill them, they didn't roam around that much to gank miners (and they were way slower than the new SO's)

Good news!
Gargaj has at least fowarded the request!
10:29  * GargajCNS fwd'd the request
10:33 <@GargajCNS> "grands may reappear"

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

actually, i think the slow moving caravans are posing same threat as a grand observer: sometimes they move so slow that you probably have to abandon your container...

a regular roaming mech can see you further then you him with your non-detector industrial...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

8 (edited by Sundial 2011-10-14 16:38:19)

Annihilator wrote:

actually, i think the slow moving caravans are posing same threat as a grand observer: sometimes they move so slow that you probably have to abandon your container...

a regular roaming mech can see you further then you him with your non-detector industrial...

But he does not agro at the range he can see you.

Also the spawns move faster now (less randomly moving around, more moving in aline)

I doubt you lose your field can.

he doesnt lose aggro on you as long as your in visual range, from my experience.

Sundial wrote:
Scyylla wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

Now to the first part:

1. Tellesis SO goes faster than a termis or rivaler with an LWF.
2. Also to fit a detector on a miner bot would mean hurting cap stability a good deal. (I know, not optimal returns)
3. With a base detection of 80, you do not have much to work with. "Get another account much?"

I am a miner that fits for defense (my rivaler has a .3 shield conversion ratio, 18K effective HP, 75% demob resistance). I mine on the beta islands, where I have learned observer routes and setup scouts to alert me to any roaming spawns, observers or other players.

Avoiding observers is possible, however I feel that roaming spawns are the better choice for alpha 2 islands. Grand observers are fine as well.

The imballance is SO's on alpha islands. GO's are fine.

If people wan't to mine in relative safety and be able to take a piss, I feel they should be able to on alpha 2 islands. Beta is another story cool. Roaming spawns will still gank AFK miners there. Nothing has changed but the amount of time you have to react has been increased.

To the devs:

Please put Grand Observers back on alpha 2, they made life a bit more interesting and could be solo killed if you were careful. Since players could kill them, they didn't roam around that much to gank miners (and they were way slower than the new SO's)

Good news!
Gargaj has at least fowarded the request!
10:29  * GargajCNS fwd'd the request
10:33 <@GargajCNS> "grands may reappear"

I can agree with most of what you are saying especially because you are actually fitting your bot to overcome the risks you are facing.

The island types should have escalating difficulties.
They should also have escalating rewards to make it worth the extra effort (fitting to survive vs max yield)
     For miners this should mean better ore fields. Perhaps a slightly increased regen time.
     More difficult npcs for the pve group
     escalating the difficulty of observers -- assualt observer on alpha, grand mech observer on alpha2, rest on beta
** the following is a good one in my opinion*** side track yes, but it hit me while typing
Artifact scanning should be based on island level:
alpha islands- lvl 1 sites, small chance of a level 2 (maybe 10% chance to get a lvl 2)--25% cts only

alpha 2--- lvl2 sites, small chance of a level 3 site (10% chance)-- 25% and 50% cts only

beta--- the works excet for no lvl 1 sites, 50/50 mix of lvl 2 and lvl 3 sites, no 25% cts

Risk versus reward. This option allows for all play styles and gives the new players an escalation route in all indy/pve careers. It even stimulates some population on Beta.. Want to build a MK2 bot? The best chance you have of getting the ct will be Beta!

Inappropriate signature.

again, why observer?

whats the obsession with them?

Annihilator wrote:

again, why observer?

whats the obsession with them?

What was the problem ever with grand observers (and sup observers pre buff)?

They provide a fun challenge to go take down. I remember fighting my first one as a new player with a small group of friends. Its was one of the more enjoyable activities on alpha 2 islands.

They do give a sense of danger that I like in a game. Its fun having them roam around, having them almost roll up on you and take you out, going to refit and taking them down.

Alpha 2 islands should not be a complete dangerless snoozefest, which is what alot of players seem to want.

Do observers/roaming gangs not simply pass you by as they did before if you dont move as a miner?

I've had SO's pass within 500 of my Riveler Mk2 when mining on tellesis many times. Not too sure I'd be intrested at all in mining anywhere if I had to tank my miner or run away because of a random spawn.

14 (edited by Sundial 2011-10-14 17:51:52)

Smokeyii wrote:

Do observers/roaming gangs not simply pass you by as they did before if you dont move as a miner?

I've had SO's pass within 500 of my Riveler Mk2 when mining on tellesis many times. Not too sure I'd be intrested at all in mining anywhere if I had to tank my miner or run away because of a random spawn.

Yes they do now (observers agro you at 500 even while standing still, dont know about other roaming gangs), but there are no more observers on alpha for the time being.

Sundial wrote:

They provide a fun challenge to go take down. I remember fighting my first one as a new player with a small group of friends. Its was one of the more enjoyable activities on alpha 2 islands.

They do give a sense of danger that I like in a game. Its fun having them roam around, having them almost roll up on you and take you out, going to refit and taking them down.

Alpha 2 islands should not be a complete dangerless snoozefest, which is what alot of players seem to want.

what would be more challanging for you? a 62nd light bot blob or a single lemon?

Annihilator wrote:
Sundial wrote:

what would be more challanging for you? a 62nd light bot blob or a single lemon?

Variety is a good thing. Players can hunt down the roaming mobs and get industrial kernels or higher level kernels if they want. Players can also hunt down the observers for different rewards.

IMO both have a place on alpha 2 islands.

And for the record I have done quite a bit of mining on both alpha and beta islands.

you can still hunt down observers... either with artifact scanning or on beta

also, for "rewarding hard battles" you will get something different soon.

if they reactivate observers unchanged on alpha, they can also reactivate ERP Lemon tank on beta, but please without any speed limiter. this time.

18 (edited by Sundial 2011-10-14 18:17:45)

Annihilator wrote:

you can still hunt down observers... either with artifact scanning or on beta

also, for "rewarding hard battles" you will get something different soon.

if they reactivate observers unchanged on alpha, they can also reactivate ERP Lemon tank on beta, but please without any speed limiter. this time.

Grand observers were no where near as fast as Superior after their buff.

You can outrun a grand observer pretty easily with a LWF in an industrial bot. By removing them from Alpha 2, the sense of danger you got and random moments of excitement have been reduced.

This leads to boring uneventful gameplay.

Want to mine/farm in complete peace and safety? Go to alpha 1 islands. This will lead to scarce ore fields in the alpha 1 islands, encouraging players to go out and explore the higher level islands.

Players who are not AFK will go mine on Alpha 2 now, no problems. But if you just want to do everything AFK, this may make your think twice about eating all the ore fields on tellesis while AFK.

This is how island balance should work, incremental danger on each level of island.

Risk versus Reward is not the only way to balance. Time for Reward is just as valid.

So when you say miners are out there gathering without little risk, that's true, but it takes time to mine. Adding additional risk does not increase reward at all.

More risk less reward, the exact opposite of what it should be.

20 (edited by Sundial 2011-10-14 19:22:58)

Arga wrote:

Risk versus Reward is not the only way to balance. Time for Reward is just as valid.

So when you say miners are out there gathering without little risk, that's true, but it takes time to mine. Adding additional risk does not increase reward at all.

More risk less reward, the exact opposite of what it should be.

More reward = less used ore fields = more abundant recources

You  won't have to haul from as far or go out as far to find good mining spots because some people will go back to the alpha 1 islands to AFK mine in complete safety.

More power to them, but when I mine I am alert and at my computer watching over my miners. Why should I not be able to go to a more dangerous zone to mine more abundant resources between the alpha1 and beta islands?

Why should alpha 2 islands be completely safe? They should not, that is the job of the alpha 1 islands. Unless of course we want all islands to be the same... How boring would that be?

Without Observers alpha now is paradise for macros miners. I predict that price for liquids will drop soon.

22 (edited by Sundial 2011-10-14 19:28:23)

MechanID wrote:

Without Observers alpha now is paradise for macros miners. I predict that price for liquids will drop soon.

It already was paradise for them before they changed the AI to attack players that didn't move.

They need to add grand observers back in addition to the roaming spawns on alpha 2.

I predict price for liquids will INCREASE as more macro miners get popped by roaming spawns (even with no observers). This is a GOOD thing for miners who do not macro.

Current prices for Liquizit are extremely low compared to the time it takes to extract it because it is so easy to Macro/AFK it.

If we had more players there would be nothing left the mine.
As it stands you don't need to buy anything because most corps can make everything or almost everything themselves.
Alpha 2's should get Grands back but alpha 1's should be Observer free (Other than artifacts).
Roaming spawns will still appears and will still attack miners so macros aren't that possible unless you make a bot and then honestly if it can do it better than a player you deserve not to get caught because you're very smart.

o.O

Market analysis!

Don't forget to take into account the miners with (5) accounts and millions of NIC and 1000's of U's of ore that stopped logging in because the demand was too low to sell and the risk was too high to mine.

Maybe they'll come back, but unlikely since the demand is still low.

25 (edited by Sundial 2011-10-14 19:47:33)

Arga wrote:

o.O

Market analysis!

Don't forget to take into account the miners with (5) accounts and millions of NIC and 1000's of U's of ore that stopped logging in because the demand was too low to sell and the risk was too high to mine.

Maybe they'll come back, but unlikely since the demand is still low.

How is the risk high when you can easily outrun the roaming mobs?

The risk is low, but the people are lazy wink

EDIT:

I have 3 dedicated mining accounts btw.