Re: Turret vs Missile Skill Trees

Arga wrote:

Turret bots also have missle slot(s). So it actually makes more sense for high EP blue/yellow pilots to cross into missle extensions, because it directly increases thier functionality on their primary faction bot.

I agree for PvE, strongly disagree for PvP.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Sundial wrote:

I agree for PvE, strongly disagree for PvP.

Noted, but that is simply part of the arguement. The tactical/strategic advantages in PVP for having pilots capable of either blue or yellow is very small. Unlike the theme park holy trinity of Tank/heal/dps, where if one player could do multiple roles they were more valuable, here the difference in turret use between yellow and blue is too small to justify the additional logistics, hardware, and EP complexities; and by that I mean the balance issue of allowing blue/yellow interchangability at a lower oportunity cost does not give turret players an advantage over launcher players.

28 (edited by Beasty 2011-10-12 21:52:25)

@Arga, clarify for me please. Are you saying that the cross train between blue and yellow is so small that it is not an issue?

Think 1, 2 or 3 years down the line when maybe large and extra large weapons are in the game, this may be small now but it will have larger effects the longer the game goes on and the more diversity of weapons there are in the game.

like I said before i have no problem with cross training but I think cross training should take a LOT longer than specializing in one weapon type.

I'm not going as far to advocate for specific turret types on bots I just want EP balance.

In this business, by the time you realize you're in trouble, it's too late to save yourself. Unless you're running scared all the time, you're gone.
~Bill Gates~

29 (edited by Annihilator 2011-10-12 22:12:44)

Arga got it right:

beeing able to fit the other weapon, doesn't mean you can use it. ATM you need the correct Robot too.
and training a factional robot skill higher then mech control takes some time too.

The main disballance is the Firearms skill. They use Turret skills, and there is no ballistic counterpart for it.

a slight disbalance in EP costs is between "Missile guidance [6]" and "Falloff [4]", because the missile skill enables 100% chance to hit against ANYTHING within your launchers range, while falloff has a decreasing damage per shot above the optimum range.

is there anyone who actually has maxed out missile guidance? i see a 2% chance to miss not really a reason to spend another 33 days worth EP

Seperating the turret extensions between the turret types would be the worst thing that could happen, as long as their main difference is only the GFX.

edit:

Beasty wrote:

Think 1, 2 or 3 years down the line when maybe large and extra large weapons are in the game, this may be small now but it will have larger effects the longer the game goes on and the more diversity of weapons there are in the game.

if your going into the future with your argumentation: Artillery will be ballistic weapons, and they will profit from missile skills ("ballistics") -> so what you complain about? having ballistic laser and ballistic EM weapons will be much easier for those who are specialized in missiles now.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

@ Annihilator mmmm ya that would be awesome if artiliary did work off the launcher skill ... confirmed ?

I dont like assuming that the future of this game will bring anything it was an example to provoke thought, this is  why I'm suggesting things that would help to balance the system now. and yes there is more than just Graphics at play in the differences between lasers and magnetic weapons. enough of a different for them to be based in two different factions. if anything (I shouldn't suggest this) firearms and Magnetic weapons could share something because their both projectiles where lasers are focused beams of light.

Yes this was also part of the reason i made this post because firearms are included in the same set of skills as lasers and magnetic weapons thus you get 3x more out of a turret skill than you do a launcher skill.

In this business, by the time you realize you're in trouble, it's too late to save yourself. Unless you're running scared all the time, you're gone.
~Bill Gates~

31 (edited by Marak Mocam 2011-10-13 00:49:44)

I'm unsure on some of the points here.

- Annihilator:  With 4% miss rate, I've seen 2 flights of 5 missiles where 3 of them "found the heavens" - in a row - damage reduction 60% across 10 missiles for 2 flights. 

Each failure is 100% loss of damage from that weapon.  That can be seen as expensive.

2% for 33 days?  Avoiding that "feeling lucky today?" sense of play may be worth it. 

Yes it averages out to 2% "over time" but a couple bad volleys in a PvP fight...

- Beasty:  Many weapons skills are shared as you point out but how much extra time is involved to actually pilot the proper bots to fit and use those systems?

If I need to focus without distracting options elsewhere, I'm going to focus but if I can climb in different bots and use different tools and effects...  Flexibility of options also usually costs with lower abilities for long-term play if you exercise those options.

A green pilot is quite probably going to focus training on their bot's specific abilities.  The "distraction" potential and time lost vs other areas of enhancement may offset this.  As such - how many actually do cross-train bots and how far up the food chain do they go?

This I do not know.

Just wondering at the reality of the concern over the potential.  I've often seen potential yet it remains just that - never followed through on due to "costs" and the like.

32 (edited by Line 2011-10-13 07:52:34)

Beasty wrote:
Iam Abanana wrote:

Takes 256 days to max out unique magnetostatics/optics skills:
1. advanced magnetostatics
2. advanced optics
3. basic magnetostatics
4. basic optics
5. general firing
6. improved falloff
7. precision firing
8. rapid firing
9. sharpshooting

Takes 217 days to max out unique ballistics skills:
1. advanced ballistics
2. basic ballistics
3. complex missile launch
4. missile guidance
5. missile launch
6. propellant mixing
7. seismics

So you tell me what is better. Wait 256 and kick *** with blue and yellow, or wait 217 days and kick *** with green ONLY.

/agreed it should take the same amount of time to specilize in each faction .. by your math 217 days for each.

its kinda silly to only have to spend a little over a month to max out a cross train to a "totally different" faction DPS type

You forgot that Greenies are leveing Pelistal robotics ONLY, and Yellow/Blues are need to level BOTH Nuimquol and Thelodica. Prolly thats more than 256, something about 30-60 days. Not too much at all, yes, and still lesser than cross-speccing Green to Yellow/Blue, but who said they should be balanced in that way?

Anyway, I'd prefer to see something powerfull given to Greenies in the future than decreasing skills cost for them or increasing skill cost for Yellow/Blue.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Line wrote:
Beasty wrote:
Iam Abanana wrote:

2. advanced optics
3. basic magnetostatics
4. basic optics
5. general firing
6. improved falloff
7. precision firing
8. rapid firing
9. sharpshooting

1. advanced ballistics
2. basic ballistics
4. missile guidance
5. missile launch
6. propellant mixing
7. seismics

So you tell me what is better. Wait 256 and kick *** with blue and yellow, or wait 217 days and kick *** with green ONLY.

/agreed it should take the same amount of time to specilize in each faction .. by your math 217 days for each.

its kinda silly to only have to spend a little over a month to max out a cross train to a "totally different" faction DPS type

You forgot that Greenies are leveing Pelistal robotics ONLY, and Yellow/Blues are need to level BOTH Nuimquol and Thelodica. Prolly thats more than 256, something about 30-60 days. Not too much at all, yes, and still lesser than cross-speccing Green to Yellow/Blue, but who said they should be balanced in that way?

Anyway, I'd prefer to see something powerfull given to Greenies in the future than decreasing skills cost for them or increasing skill cost for Yellow/Blue.

you are NUTS ? comparing training time to max 2 weapon systems against one and there is only a month difference ?

get rid of one weapon type in the turret calculation (either lasers or magnetics) and then compare. OR if you REALY want to complain, add firearms. but you are still getting 3 weapon types vs one.

Hey btw, if you gonna level lasers/firearms/em-guns instead of rockets on your green account, you will get the same 256 days. So it's not the racial problem at all but your robot slots - 2 is for sure lesser than 4. Same for rockets on your yellow/blue pilot.

Extensions doesn't limit your choice of weapons. Robots do. Thats it.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Iam Abanana wrote:

2. advanced optics
3. basic magnetostatics
4. basic optics
5. general firing
6. improved falloff
7. precision firing
8. rapid firing
9. sharpshooting

1. advanced ballistics
2. basic ballistics
4. missile guidance
5. missile launch
6. propellant mixing
7. seismics

To wait 217 days and *** and Pillage with a green bot....seriously Green are actually very overpowered...just people don't use them as much to pull there maximum potential out.

Everyone wants to change something that hasn't really even been vetted as of yet.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

36 (edited by Hunter 2011-10-13 16:07:14)

0110011100001111001010001 wrote:

To wait 217 days and *** and Pillage with a green bot....seriously Green are actually very overpowered...just people don't use them as much to pull there maximum potential out.

Everyone wants to change something that hasn't really even been vetted as of yet.

Actually you also do not know about what you say.

I have not seen here that sounded important facts:
1) Damage from the missiles does not increase with the tech-level.
2) Real big problem with seismics, shields and evasive modules. Evasive module has a dual effect on the resulting damage (against shielded target).
Sounded, but not discussed:
3) Many problems with speed/reactor/cpu/etc/etc/etc/etc/etc....

I hope that here does not need a formula to explain you the uselessness of extensions and modules that reduce the cycle. And I hope there is not need to explain a huge effect of extensions and modules that increase the damage.

Green are not overpowered.

This is not sandbox. This is a Box of Chocolates...

Hunter wrote:

2) Real big problem with seismics, shields and evasive modules. Evasive module has a dual effect on the resulting damage (against shielded target).

This could be fixed by adding a new stat "Evasion". Evasive Modules give same amount of evasion as they subtracted from surface hit size.

When shot at: Effective Hit Size = Surface Size - Evasion

This would fix the problem.

38 (edited by Annihilator 2011-10-13 17:20:14)

hunter, do not fall for the troll wink

The reason im telling that mortars and grenade launchers will use the missile extension set:

Grenade launchers will have a ballistic LoS calculation and GFX. Grenades are explosives, usually launched by a kind of propellant.
It also takes some skills or good targeting system to guide a grenade to the desired location where it will destroy stuff with a more or less concetrated shockwave

edit:
if your using your missiles against a shielded target with evasive module equipped, as pelistal driver... ouch....

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Its funny how you guys forget half the robots for your arguments about turrets not being easier that missiles for cross training. Let me explain:

I once used a vagabond, i was maxxed in EW extensions.  Since there was NO FACTION WEAPON ROBOT BONUS on EW mechs, i had a whole choice of turrets for my fittings. If i wanted burst damages i took EM, if i needed range but wasnt so much concerned about acc i fitted 3 HCL, and when i needed not much speed but good dps and acc i was using firearms.

I had a whole choice of weapons to choose, and its the same for at least all the EW mechs, all more like all the bots that dont get a direct dmg bonus.  So what with this?

Arga sorry but your argument about being needed to cross train faction extensions dont work in my case.

Btw saying there is no real difference between blue and yellow???  Did you try full T4 fit on HMs with the two kind of weapons to say that?  Because there are huge differences imo. Did you try each kind of weapons with full T4 range amplifier or full tuners?  I mean saying two weapon types "ressemble" themselves is clearly false.

I always played blue, i just reset to green.  Imo its balanced somewhat differently.  Blue are perfect for pvp, good for certain type of pve.  Green are best for solo pve thats for sure. No acc problems, (shooting continuously), systematic dmg even on smalls, and the ability to have a good shield "in case of", make the gropho a good solo pve platform.  Its easier for me than the mesmer, even if i have less dps.

So for me its balanced, just give a good firearm type for missile users and everything will be fine, because the complaint of easier cross training for turrets is VALID, at least for EW bots..

Annihilator wrote:

...bla-bla-bla...

Grenade launchers will have a ballistic LoS calculation and GFX. Grenades are explosives, usually bla-bla-bla

Do you really believe that it need now?

Annihilator wrote:

if your using your missiles against a shielded target with evasive module equipped, as pelistal driver... ouch....

what is this? You should have something to say? You do not required to comment all my posts.

41 (edited by Hunter 2011-10-13 19:10:12)

Sundial wrote:
Hunter wrote:

This could be fixed by adding a new stat "Evasion". Evasive Modules give same amount of evasion as they subtracted from surface hit size.

When shot at: Effective Hit Size = Surface Size - Evasion

This would fix the problem.

There is another option. You can use the size of the shield instead of the size of the robot when calculating damage. The size of the robot can only be taken to calculate the absorption.

Cobalt wrote:

Arga sorry but your argument about being needed to cross train faction extensions dont work in my case.

Btw saying there is no real difference between blue and yellow???  Did you try full T4 fit on HMs with the two kind of weapons to say that?  Because there are huge differences imo. Did you try each kind of weapons with full T4 range amplifier or full tuners?  I mean saying two weapon types "ressemble" themselves is clearly false.

-50% damage Adv robotics
-10% Critical hit
-x% Dmg/Crit for each Weapon tuning not installed

The difference between fitting for DPS and putting some weapons on a bot is tremedous. Are you saying that you have basic/advanced Mag/laser to 10 also, or did you concentrate most of your EP int ewar? I'm not talking about being able to 'fit' turret weapons, I'm talking about being effective with them in actual combat.

If your not in the faction specific bot then your not even close to being effective with that weapon. Ewar are there for Ewar not DPS.

I didn't say that blue and yellow played exactly the same, I said that the tactical difference between them doesn't justify the EP to fully cross train; as a caveat, you can add until you have one faction maxed out.

If you out solo PVP'ing no one is going to care if you do 50% less dps then your max potential. Actually, no one is really going to care how you spend your EP or setup your bots.

If you undock in a blue bot with lasers your going to kicked from any serious pvp corp. That same corp isn't going to say "we need 4 blue bots and 2 yellows for this roam, Arga switch to Blue and X up". This is what I mean by no strategic advantage, your not really going to know which would have been better until after the encounter. Although blue and yellow play differently, once your deployed, any EP you have in the other faction weapon/bot is wasted EP.

Arga wrote:
Cobalt wrote:

-50% damage Adv robotics
-10% Critical hit
-x% Dmg/Crit for each Weapon tuning not installed

The difference between fitting for DPS and putting some weapons on a bot is tremedous. Are you saying that you have basic/advanced Mag/laser to 10 also, or did you concentrate most of your EP int ewar? I'm not talking about being able to 'fit' turret weapons, I'm talking about being effective with them in actual combat.

etc

he's right

44 (edited by Sundial 2011-10-13 20:21:41)

Why dont people fit missle launchers on a kain for PvP and PvE even though it has the slots?

Same reasons they dont fit Lasers on a Tyranos.

PvE: Fail damage without adv robotics bonus / ep invested, increased fitting requirements that could instead be used on tuners / stabilizers / etc.

PvP: You are slowing yourself down to do a tiny bit more damage with far increased fitting requirements. Not worth the EP investment to make it only "Ok"

Fitting launchers on a kain is like putting a medium plate on a chameleon.

the question is more - do you see anyone switching between seth and mesmer on same agent ?

or going out with 2 EM guns, 1 HCL Laser and 1 AC on a kain?

Annihilator wrote:

the question is more - do you see anyone switching between seth and mesmer on same agent ?

Syndic does.

Sundial wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

Syndic does.

/agree /w Sundial

Many pilots swap form yellow mech to blue mech ALL THE TIME !!! if you haven't see people do this im afraid you haven't been playing much in pvp. Politics aside take a look at the 62nd and Cir guys, ive seen many of them able to flip to one color to another just like that on the same toon.

~Bill Gates~

48 (edited by Sundial 2011-10-13 22:31:42)

Beasty wrote:
Sundial wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

Syndic does.

/agree /w Sundial

Many pilots swap form yellow mech to blue mech ALL THE TIME !!! if you haven't see people do this im afraid you haven't been playing much in pvp. Politics aside take a look at the 62nd and Cir guys, ive seen many of them able to flip to one color to another just like that on the same toon.

You pretty much nailed it. Its common for pilots in all ranges of EP to cross spec blue/yellow, and its not just "get out of my arbalest/kain into a baph/artemis", people do it with ewar mechs/heavys (fairly large EP investment, but nothing compared to what a green char would have to do to have the same effectiveness).

im very close to cross speccing into missiles to use them on my artemis or baphometh (its a waste to leave those slots open), just one more level in adv. robotics before that.

its not much time to get a decent missile build - cycletime extensions are cheap, guiding to 6 is cheap, seismics is not ultra-necessary, and pelistal to 5 not that much either (starting with 45% damage bonus from adv. robotics!)

and then, im happy when grenades, mortars or whatever new weapons find their way into the game. even if its just the proton-torpedo that was announced, i will be happy to be able to use it big_smile

Although this conversation has been very interesting could any DEV chime in here please and give us something one way or another to say if this has any future prospect to be balanced or adjusted or anything. I know your all busy at work but a simple "were working on it" would suffice.

~Bill Gates~