1 (edited by Calio 2011-10-08 04:08:09)

Topic: new npc AI is pretty dumb

Only fought NPCs on hershfield so far, but the new AI there is a disaster. 

After locking on you, the NPCs go sideways to get behind walls while still out of their firing range (while getting hit by you) instead of closing to firing range themselves. They then more often then not get stuck inside (not just behind) the walls and don't try to move again to get unstuck. You then have to move to try and get at least part way behind them (which is difficult in buildings) so you can actually fire at them before they finally back up and move again. All in all, a royal PITA.

Anyone else having similar experiences elsewhere?

Re: new npc AI is pretty dumb

It is a bit rough around the edges, just needs some tuning... in the meantime, don't farm in areas with buildings / obstructions.

Seems like an improvement to me BESIDES this.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

they are still learning to play wink

the are not getting "stuck" behind like earlier, they stop moving (immitating afk miner?)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I've experienced exactly the same ... it's just horrible. Killing NPCs in numbers is now simply a pita. Nothing less. Really fun to catch your targets with a Mech/Hmech and running around some objects to get a free line of sight. Now imagine the moment when NPC E-War will work again ... sitting behind buildings/walls and jamming/surpressing you ...
For me it's the last nail in the coffin sad

It works quite well in open areas with plants. The green spawn I usually farm is actually navigating around steep terrain instead of getting stuck, and it's deliberately putting plants in between me and it so I can't land hits

I like it

Sundial wrote:

It is a bit rough around the edges, just needs some tuning... in the meantime, don't farm in areas with buildings / obstructions.

That's just great. You're saying I should abandon Hershfield, since it's 70% buildings?

Annihilator wrote:

they are still learning to play wink

the are not getting "stuck" behind like earlier, they stop moving (immitating afk miner?)

Yes, I stand corrected. It's not technically "stuck." They simply freeze and don't do a thing except break locks if you get in range and don't move again until they are attacked again, which requires (in the case of buildings) some pretty awkward and time consuming (and at times dangerous) moves on the player's part.

Calio wrote:

..., which requires (in the case of buildings) some pretty awkward and time consuming (and at times dangerous) moves on the player's part.

well, actually that wouldn't be that bad imho. Im pretty sure the hardcore npc grinder disagree because this means, they cannot park their 5-6 t4 tuning - t4 Long range weapon, dual-RSA-supported heavy mech near a spawn and play the lock-kill-lock-kill-lock-kill-lock-kill- game four hours, while using third account to collect the loot.

that does lower the kernel-ber-hour ratio another few %

cattle that is hiding behind obstacles when facing their butcher - damn cowards.

sorry, going into cynical mode again.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

well, actually that wouldn't be that bad imho.

I'm playing only 1 account. I spend more time trying to get them to move than fighting. Try it for a while and then tell me again that it's not so bad.

WTB Triangle route.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Calio wrote:
Sundial wrote:

That's just great. You're saying I should abandon Hershfield, since it's 70% buildings?

Find a spawn thats not in the buildings (in fact thats just what I did last night at hershfield)

Stop whining and temporarily adapt, it will be fixed.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Error wrote:

I've experienced exactly the same ... it's just horrible. Killing NPCs in numbers is now simply a pita. Nothing less. Really fun to catch your targets with a Mech/Hmech and running around some objects to get a free line of sight. Now imagine the moment when NPC E-War will work again ... sitting behind buildings/walls and jamming/surpressing you ...
For me it's the last nail in the coffin sad

Bye!

Inappropriate signature.

cmon now! we all know the npc ai was something everyone was nagging about! even thou it wasn't in dev blog focus it was something we all knew it was wrong! now, with a few more hundreds of hours of work we'll have one of biggest coplaints in perp sorted out - so hold on!

Klit Oriswood wrote:

cmon now! we all know the npc ai was something everyone was nagging about! even thou it wasn't in dev blog focus it was something we all knew it was wrong! now, with a few more hundreds of hours of work we'll have one of biggest coplaints in perp sorted out - so hold on!

"WE" paleface?? ^^  I can't remember making even one complaint about NPC "AI".  Let alone "nagging" the Dev's about it.  The perpetuum Dev team is rather small, and thus their time/talent pool can only be spread so far.  Having it applied in this fashion is very much akin to the old saying, "If its not broke, don't fix it".  If I wanted more "challenge" in my NIC farming, I'd seek it out. 

They have an almost endless list of things that should come first, before they start messing around with NPC "AI".  Doing that right is very much a highly detailed series of fields, many of which have little over lap in gaming.

With each new sequence of changes in the PvE part of the game, Perpetuum is becoming more and more border line, from my perspective.  At a certain point, its simply not going to be worth the time and effort required. I'd hate to see that happen, but I'm not going the same route I did in EVE.

I spent almost six years there. The last year, hoping things would get better. They didn't.  So I walked away from all of that time and effort.  At this point, I doubt I'll ever go back.  I'd hate to see that happen here.

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

WTS T4 Sarcasm Detector, interested? wink

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

WTS T4 Sarcasm Detector, interested? wink

I have a T4 *** Masker if you wana trade...It cant be even up tho...as its bigger.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

superior observers seem pretty intelligent...

maybe we just became increasingly smarter, i know i didn't

When they get stuck, just walk toward them and they will back up and then move around the thing they got suck on..

I prefer to think of it as they are scared of getting killed..

Lana Torrin wrote:

When they get stuck, just walk toward them and they will back up and then move around the thing they got suck on.

That is what they did in buildings before the 'fix." Move back and come at you from a better angle.

It's not what they do inside buildings now.  They just sit there being invulnerable and completely unable to attack you either, and they won't move again until you actually are able to land a hit on them, which requires you to somehow get at least part way behind them to get a clear los past the irregularities within the walls.