Topic: Auto Pilot upgrade

We just got a form of AP so here is a toss at the "never satisfied" wall. (btw, ty for what we do have)

I want a programmable AP, with limits.

How I see it working: (for frequently traveled paths)
I click an AP button that opens my available AP travel paths.  I choose to create a new path.  I name said path (we will use the Hersh terminal to Nurno Central Point port as our example)
I name this travel path "Hersh term to Nurno Port)
I undock and walk to the south end of Hersh Terminal platform.
I click "add point"
I walk to next navigable turn, and click "add point"
repeat above step at every turn or adjustment until I get to Nurno Port

Now when I am at Nurno Port I click "save route"

Now I can select my new saved AP path "Hersh term to Nurno Port" tag, and press "reverse trip"

I get up and get a beer while my bot travels from the nearest saved point to the next to the next to the next....until I arrive at the South platform where I had my first saved point.

My bot has then navigated the trip by staying on the road, avoided those pesky 3rd stars on the West, and gone up the 3 ramps to the terminal platform.

Limits:
I think that distance traveled per trip should be somewhere around 4k
I think a maximum of 3 travel routes per island would be more than enough

Risks:
If I want to risk pushing "travel this route" and get up to grab a beer or take a leak or type some nasty comment to Annihilator on the forums while my bot follows the path, then so be it.  If on the route he comes across a Superior roaming observer and meets with his demise...then that is the risk I have chosen.

Please let me rest the "W" key on my keyboard while I travel agonizing paths over and over and over and.....

pre-programmed, pre-traveled and pre-saved paths FTW big_smile

Re: Auto Pilot upgrade

That's pretty much what we are planning too smile

big_smile

+1.
I also liked the idea of a drawn route or something like that.

The idea is good, but make the number of routes your bot can remember more limited, not like 3 per island, but say 3 per bot, or variable per bot and give the transporting bots a bonus of 1 or 2 routes.

Make it also this way that you can export the routes you have in your bot and later import it again. The importing though would erase all other routes currently in your bot memory. This could have the same effect of having 3 per island if you have 1 disk with 3 routes per island. But you are able to lose the disks if you carry them around all the time as they will be dropped like normal items.

Why limit how many routes you can save? That would just be an annoying restriction and makes no sense. We just need a way of reliably getting from A to B while afk or without having to touch the controls. Dont make a good thing bad!

My initial thought about limiting distance of routes or amount is that being afk in a game diminishes the game play.

My opinion is that we only should be given the ability to auto pilot for portions of an operation.  Like the one you take from the terminal to the port, or the port to nest you farm.

If AP routes were unlimited in distance and quantity, then the AP could become a pivotal substitute from the actual game play and I think this would be detrimental.

For instance, if I did hauling missions and all I had to do was hit "travel route 1" (leave for 10 min) then hit "teleport" then hit "travel route 2" and doing this increased the NIC in my wallet, then we have taken a tool and used it to substitute game play.

Make the AP with limits so we still have to pilot our bots, but only view it as tool to take some of the monotony away from trips traveled multiple times in one logged in session.

IMO

The planned AP (follow a waypoint route) will be already limited by the fact that you cannot place waypoints without beeing in that location.

also, transport missions that require you to transport something from terminal 2 terminal will be replaced gradually with each patch, with missions that ask you to deliver something to a certain point on terrain, often crossing path with some NPCs. Do that AFK wink

doing beta island transport missions AFK is your own choice...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Tiny Tim wrote:

Why limit how many routes you can save? That would just be an annoying restriction and makes no sense. We just need a way of reliably getting from A to B while afk or without having to touch the controls. Dont make a good thing bad!

Automation is good, but it needs limits to make sure the game doesn't play itself.

Zoom once linked me a game where it was your challange to programm bots with C# code wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

Zoom once linked me a game where it was your challange to programm bots with C# code wink

CRobots best robots.

I personally think 3 is too few a number of slots, but perhaps like 10 total? (as in not per island, just 10)

Ydyp Ieva wrote:
Tiny Tim wrote:

Automation is good, but it needs limits to make sure the game doesn't play itself.

Problem is when the game requires you to train accounts just to move adequate amount of resources.

Then things become tedious when you are jumping 5-10 accounts every single time and putting them all on follow.

We need bigger haulers.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.