Re: A simple recipe for victory

Annihilator wrote:

i find the argumentation "one single player (on one single account) should not be able to handle more then X other players" BS...

That of course is a generaliztion in the context of Hmechs being the end-game progression robot.

Using the Lemon bot as an example, I said at the time and again here, that it is OK for the Lemon bot to be able to Tank more than 1 DPS fit bot. How many and for how long is too specific because it depends on too many variables.

The "x" factor in my statements is there because it really 'depends' on who, what, where, and how. But trying again to get back to the original theme of Hmechs being the end-game progression bot, and again just generalizing, there should be situations when a single mech or even a single assualt/light can kill a heavy mech.

that's really all I'm trying to say, hmechs should not be invulnerable to the smaller bots, just because it is the biggest bot.

52 (edited by Annihilator 2011-09-27 22:19:42)

Arga wrote:

that's really all I'm trying to say, hmechs should not be invulnerable to the smaller bots, just because it is the biggest bot.

that was actually not what the topic creator had in mind, nor stated anywhere - thats what the interpretation of all initial counter-arguments was.

BUT- I FULLY SUPPORT the idea that

"small bots with small weapons should not be able to kill a high-extension+equip heavy mech that is not fitted for highspeed, no matter the count of the small bots."

"heavy mech with medium weapons only should not be able to kill a small bot in one shot with close to 100% chance from one volley, no matter how high his extensions are"

note: every word in that sentence has its meaning and cannot be left out of the statement. i care to explain further if you want.

*edit: highlighted word that was overseen, and added second sentence to make it even more clear

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I know what the statement is trying to say - a swarm of newbs shouldn't be able to kill a vetern in a fitted bot.

But its too generalized a statement.

If I have high-extension+equip small bot that is counter-fitted for my target, I should be able to kill a high-extension+equip regardless of the 'class' of the bot (assuming I have the PVP skill to use the bot correctly).

Putting some sort of mechanic in the game to make one class of bots immune to another is the wrong direction.

Develop a strategy, fit for tactics, and execute. If your pre-battle decisions are correct, and you execute well, you should be rewarded.

My major issue with this is the concept that because the Hmech costs more it shouldn't be volunerable to something that costs less. Basing balancing decisions on COST is a terrible model.

54 (edited by Celebro 2011-09-27 21:29:29)

On other games basing balancing decisions on cost might be a good model, but in a time based skilling model where new players can never catch up on EP would be a disaster. Everything should be possible in a sandbox the only limit is in your imagination and drive to accomplish such tasks. The best weapon for new players would be a zerg with an organised group and enough numbers should be able to mitigate most disadvantages the low skills might bring. In a sandbox the sky is the the limit, invulnerablilty breaks most of the aspects of what I would define as a sandbox game.

There is also another issue with linear progression where,ten times the cost should mean ten times better. Why? Most older players would be able to grind the resources for a heavy mech at roughly the same time it takes newer players to grind for lights and fittings. Who is risking more in this case? They are both risking the same, cost is only a matter of perspective.

RIP PERPETUUM

arga, i have edited my post, because you have ignored the note...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Whats Wrong with a bot being able to tank 10 bots (EXAMPLE) but 1 ECM Bot can remove its already dminished offence as well 1 Draining bot can neutralize it.

One ECMer can jam 3-4 People Permanitly.. 1 Supressor can make his range almost negligible.

The idea is that as a player moves to one extreme a bot to just a equiv extreme in its counter will easily and swiftly take care of it.

I am generalizing and not going in to specifics but i hope you see my point

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Annihilator wrote:

arga, i have edited my post, because you have ignored the note...

I didn't ignore the note. I disagreed with the implication of the sentance.

An assualt, which is a small bot, is optimized for small weapons.

Lemon wrote:

Whats Wrong with a bot being able to tank 10 bots (EXAMPLE) but 1 ECM Bot can remove its already dminished offence as well 1 Draining bot can neutralize it.

One ECMer can jam 3-4 People Permanitly.. 1 Supressor can make his range almost negligible.

The idea is that as a player moves to one extreme a bot to just a equiv extreme in its counter will easily and swiftly take care of it.

I'm all about the single counter bot, so yes if 1 ECM bot can counter and kill a bot that can tank 10 'somethings' there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. However, to get into actual balance, there has to be some limits on what those 10 bots are capable of.

Lets say a bot can tank 300 thermal damage per second (DPS) indefinetly, acc stable around 50%. That's a amount of a specific type acheived through extensions and modules. For every thermal point above 300 the tank will lose the armor battle. The more thermal dps over 300 the faster the bot is killed. If some small bost are able to apply 302 thermal dps, it's unlikley they would kill a bot with 4000 armor before running out of ammo. If those same bots could apply 1000 thermal dps, then that same 4000 armor won't last long losing 700 per second. The actual number of bots isn't relevant.

The damage capacity of the tank needs to have some balance in reality to what a similarly equipt and extensioned pilot could apply. S

Lemon wrote:

Lemon, i tired to repeat same points. People simply dont understand it:
Specialization means superiority in one aspect and weakness in another.
Vitality specializtion means ability to tank tonns of incoming damage.
Shield-Vitality spec. means ability tank huge ammount of incoming damage plus average speed.
ERP-Vitality spec. meaned ability to tank lesser ammount incoming damage that shield build but with better dps-vitality ratio than shield build plus ability to shoot permanently minus speed.

Both vitality builds was highly vulnerable to EW. My corp tested that one tyranos can easily shoot down erp mesmer. Im not saying about iktus and trojar, or zenith and vagabond. Or mech with ew modules...

Who cares...

I started writing a long eloquent post, then I remembered the Devs are self-admittedly buffing light bots and nerfing "advanced mechs" to give new players a fighting chance, and then I realized I'm going to argue PVP balance with two guys of which 1 never PVP's, and the other is a PVE alpha-oriented producer.

No hard feelings brosefs, but imho it is waste of time. Devs gonna do what devs gonna do, none of us is gonna be asked about feedback unless we're in the magical Skype contact-list. o/

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

I realized I'm going to argue PVP balance with two guys of which 1 never PVP's, and the other is a PVE alpha-oriented producer.

Oh, oh, which one am I? smile

PVP is 'fun' if your winning. PVP can be exciting even if you lose.

PVP is not fun when you have no chance of winning against a stronger opponent, but your learning at aleast.

PVP is screen smashing frustrating when you have equivalent EP and tech, but the wrong fit.

PVP is broken and you leave the game when you have the tech, EP, and there is no counter fit.

some of those PvP unbalance things affect us PvE players too, especially with each upgrade of the AI or the spawn mechanic.

atm, npc spawns are still static, just with a bit more random content. thats not harder, because its still one npc after another, which we can shoot down with our farming builds before they even have a chance to fully lock us.

you see the ultra-carebear china farmers complaining about any changes towards PvE that turns it a slightly more into the PvP balance direction ("what, roaming yagels targeting lone riveler MK2 - OH NOES!!!") There you have exactly the same issues.
You are facing a full swarm of mindless, random fitted light npcs which can kill you if you stay in their range for a second to long, and one of them has ecm+demob.

result:
noo, by no means upgrade the AI, or those dumb PvP balancing issues will affect carebears too. after all, NPCs comming in groups of 3+ all the time.

You guys are cracking static numbers but forget that there are other factors (terrain/LOS usage etc.) that do not depend on bot type or setup.

@Annihilator: I do completely disagree with your first stagement. if the small bot is set up to deal with the mech/hmech and he uses all the advantages there are againt his opponent, he should be able to kill the mech/hmech no matter the setup. It is always a case by case scenario.

We have a "right tool for right job" sitation in the game and not a "one solution to handle most cases". It seems Lemon and Alexadar have the best contributions so far.

@Syndic: Thanks for the insult. You are basicaly saying, that we (PvE/producer players) are unable to understand PvP because we never did take part. Now you joined the ranks of Hunter and co and lost my respect.

Hugh Ruka wrote:

You guys are cracking static numbers but forget that there are other factors (terrain/LOS usage etc.) that do not depend on bot type or setup.

@Annihilator: I do completely disagree with your first stagement. if the small bot is set up to deal with the mech/hmech and he uses all the advantages there are againt his opponent, he should be able to kill the mech/hmech no matter the setup. It is always a case by case scenario.

We have a "right tool for right job" sitation in the game and not a "one solution to handle most cases". It seems Lemon and Alexadar have the best contributions so far.

@Syndic: Thanks for the insult. You are basicaly saying, that we (PvE/producer players) are unable to understand PvP because we never did take part. Now you joined the ranks of Hunter and co and lost my respect.

It's not intended to be an insult.

I'm not saying you are unable to understand PVP (lol, so difficult to understand...), I'm saying you don't have the practical experience to "supplement" your theorycrafting and your opinion.

Example:

1. Hypothetically, it's an extremely awesome idea to fit +2 missile launchers on a Kain, because you get ~100 damage extra on your alpha-strike in exchange for a few (2-4) KPH.
2. Practically, mention that to a PVPer and you'll be the laughing stock of the TS channel for the next half an hour.

You understand what I mean?

CIR Complaint Form

It seems that here is only hypothetic talk.

This is not sandbox. This is a Box of Chocolates...

Syndic wrote:

Example:

1. Hypothetically, it's an extremely awesome idea to fit +2 missile launchers on a Kain, because you get ~100 damage extra on your alpha-strike in exchange for a few (2-4) KPH.
2. Practically, mention that to a PVPer and you'll be the laughing stock of the TS channel for the next half an hour.

Whats wrong with mickey mouse kains? I've only seen one person pvp with mickey kain and he was a green pilot cross trained to use a kain.

Participate, Congratulate cause everything else will be seen as HATE.
Max yellow max all skills lvl 10 min max for the win

Syndic wrote:

It's not intended to be an insult.

I'm not saying you are unable to understand PVP (lol, so difficult to understand...), I'm saying you don't have the practical experience to "supplement" your theorycrafting and your opinion.

Example:

Thats how I understood your comment, and I agree - it was also my response to Alexadar earlier in the topic. I also was going to compose a long well thought out counter to why my opinion is still valid, but realised that I've lost interest in the discussion. *shrug*

hey syndic - care to elaborate why fitting a kain that way is so laughable?
(actually i know the answers, but i like to hear yours)

@hug ruka:
there are actually medium weapon slots on ALL combat bots. why isnt it a valid build to have 1 medium +2 small weapons on your small bot? because its not possible under current item balance, and has no advantage.

two small weapons on a small bot = same dps as 1 medium weapon on a mech, no matter what the target is.

Annihilator wrote:

1. Speed

Nullifies the already-nerfed speed-and-only-speed advantage of the Kain. Medium missile launchers weigh 550kg, which virtually adds 1100kg to the weight. You've just traded off your best advantage for extra 100-150 damage on Alpha-strike. You are now even more slower in a glass-jaw bot.

2. Extensions

In order to use effectively, you must cross-spec to the green-line and by that, an entirely different set of support-extensions. I understand cross-speccing (yellow -> blue, and blue -> yellow) that shares same extensions, but going to green from yellow/blue? Waste of EP. The EP invested in siesmics/propellant/etc would be better served in other extensions that are sorely needed for a Kain (Minimally En. Man 8, Adv. Magnet 8, Adv. Robotics 8, Precision Firing 10, Rapid Firing 8, Sharpshooting 8, Critical Hit 5).

3. Role

Kain's role is as a relatively close range skirmisher/roamer. The bot is designed for this role, it excells in this role. To perform this role, it requires one and one thing only, SPEED. SPEED allows the Kain pilot to make better use of LOS terrain, and distance when he's closing/distancing from enemy before/after pumping his load of slugs into them.

SUMMARY:

Putting rocket launchers on a Kain is... Suicidal in PVP. It's using a glass-jaw bot as a brawler. The Artemis is much better suited for this even tho its comparatively better suited for a diametrally opposite role as a bot-of-the-line.

CIR Complaint Form

The medium slots on the Baphomet are indy and misc slots too. Maybe fitting a couple med drainers, or med RSA, or some combo would be a nice anti-tank bot in PVP, but I'm just guessing since I have no practical experience.

RSA is sizeless (im 100% sure the medium only missile/misc slot on the ictus is still not fixed when you fit an RSA there)

there is not much practical use in medium slots on assaults. only weapons you can fit there without additonal coreactor are ultra-heavy medium firearms, which also dont need the  botbonus to deal their real damage.

a 2 med MG 3-small laser Bapho looks meanancing, but with 40kph and no armor its nothing but lol-fit.

Arga wrote:

The medium slots on the Baphomet are indy and misc slots too. Maybe fitting a couple med drainers, or med RSA, or some combo would be a nice anti-tank bot in PVP, but I'm just guessing since I have no practical experience.

Chaos Pioneered some very effective Tank-Buster assault builds awhile ago and were the first to take down a ERP Tanked bot. I dont know the exact fits but you can see there use in one of there videos they have, hunter will probably be able to link it.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

basicly, they all had a single small neut fitted on their asssaults, that was it. At that time, they didn't even need masking to get close to any mech to instantly use them.

Annihilator wrote:

@hug ruka:
there are actually medium weapon slots on ALL combat bots. why isnt it a valid build to have 1 medium +2 small weapons on your small bot? because its not possible under current item balance, and has no advantage.

two small weapons on a small bot = same dps as 1 medium weapon on a mech, no matter what the target is.

actualy no ...

waspish:

2 medium missile slots - no bonuses
5 small missile slots - up to 50% damage bonus

1. fitting medium missiles: compacts have 3x the base damage but you also have 2x the cycle time. so you get 3x2/2 = 3

2. fitting light missiles: 5x1.5 = 7.5

conclusion: sticking to lights gives you twice the damage.

dont want to nitpic, but what are you denying?

i already said - it has no advantage atm, nor is it possible (and i want to see your waspish with two medium launcher, as one of the two medium slots is a turret/misc/industrial slot wink)