Topic: Multiple account creation

Why on earth has it been set so that to make a new account you must use a separate email address?

Its blatently obvious that the game is made in such a way that you pretty much HAVE to have multiple accounts.  Even when in an active good sized corp.

I dont think anyone is against the idea, its pretty much accepted and since Perpetuum is so cheap  any MMO player could easily afford at least 2 accounts.

So I'm really struggling to understand why its been restricted to email addresses?  of course it is easy to obtain an email address but why make it so difficult?  If people want to have and pay for, multiple accounts then you need to facilitate peoples desire to give you more money, not make it awkward and restrictive.

Re: Multiple account creation

I have 3 accounts now and ya it does suckola. But I think adding a follow command would be a higher priority smile haha

It's because your email adress is your accountname! Why in earth did they do that?

Really stupid. As I am running into this exact same problem.

I screwed up with my first character (and with no respec available), I am now forced to create a new account.

I am really not in the mood to create another mail account just for this. This is a turn off for me really. /sigh

seriously eh, but by the time you finished typing that up, i've created 2 email accounts.

X Staax wrote:

I have 3 accounts now and ya it does suckola. But I think adding a follow command would be a higher priority smile haha

Use "Approach" to auto follow targets. It looks like an arrow in the targeting interface.

RockSteady wrote:

seriously eh, but by the time you finished typing that up, i've created 2 email accounts.

No kidding, it takes almost no time to create a new email address. Just make an email address with your characters name. That also gives you an "in-game" email address you can give out to random people you meet in the game.

7 (edited by Demois 2010-11-29 22:01:10)

What's the need for 2 accounts? I'm new so I don't know enough about the game to grasp the need for it. In UO I needed 2 accounts due to being able to macro off one another, but this is a little different seeing as how you gain "XP" through time. Unless you "need" a gathering/crafting char to get by in this game? I specced pure combat. I just assumed I'd PvP and loot people for stuff ;D.

Embolism wrote:
X Staax wrote:

Use "Approach" to auto follow targets. It looks like an arrow in the targeting interface.

Thanks!

RockSteady wrote:

For giggles I created 2 email accounts as quick as I could, 2 browsers.

Took me 1 minute and 48 seconds to create both of these email accounts AND post this reply.

BizzyBeast wrote:
RockSteady wrote:

For giggles I created 2 email accounts as quick as I could, 2 browsers.

Took me 1 minute and 48 seconds to create both of these email accounts AND post this reply.

You people don't get it.

First! It's totally stupid and unnecessary to tie an email adress to the game account.

Second! It's not about that it takes much time to create new email adresses. It's all the fuss at keeping up with multiple email adresses and maintaining them.

I already got multiple email adresses for work (which I cannot use for gaming). Then having to keep up with multiple email adresses for just gaming as well.

Thanks. But no thanks.

RockSteady wrote:

What you fail to realise is that in months, maybe years to come when you have forgotten your password and want to recover it,  you'll also realise that you've forgotten the password to those 2 random email accounts,  you may have even forgotten what the  email address was in the first place!

Now you may or may not put in some contingency plan in place to try and avoid that, like write it down somewhere or devise some clever pattern that helps you to remember them or you may even have those mail box's forward to your main.  But you cant foresee the future!  your exposed to any number of unforeseen circumstances.

We could argue and discuss what those unforeseen circumstances are and maybe debate the odds of them happening but the point is.. there is no need for it to be like this!  email-address user-names is a very old fashioned stone-age system that doesn't facilitate ease of use, security and certainly not acceptable to force your loyal, paying customers to go through.

Support for + characters in an email address would solve this problem for a lot of people who use gmail. I remember it was mentioned in beta forums.

(For those who don't know: gmail redirects addresses of the form xxx+yyy@gmail.com to xxx@gmail.com allowing you to give away "different" addresses and sort your mail accordingly.)

Is it basically required to have 2 accounts to play this game? I think I'm gonna give it till the 12th before I go on vacation to see if it's worth having 2 accounts. This way I can start it and gain some EP while I'm away (hopefully the 20k thing is still in effect). I would've assumed being in a Corp would kind of take care of what you're lacking..? I know in UO it was kind of required because you could macro off one another and build two chars simultaneously.

Demois wrote:

Is it basically required to have 2 accounts to play this game? I think I'm gonna give it till the 12th before I go on vacation to see if it's worth having 2 accounts. This way I can start it and gain some EP while I'm away (hopefully the 20k thing is still in effect). I would've assumed being in a Corp would kind of take care of what you're lacking..? I know in UO it was kind of required because you could macro off one another and build two chars simultaneously.

It's not required to have two accounts until multiboxing becomes prevalent enough to displace legitimate players. Some people have been throwing money at games for advantages their entire lives and can't cope without it. The game does require more than one character, because it's not a solo game. Joining a corp is all you "need" to do in the long run.