Topic: Automated player-driven balancing

Would this be good? That you have an automated system which would work on a premise that if something is used more frequently, that it's probably overpowered.
Usage statistics on items would be collected and then some with low usage would be made better, and those with high usage would be made worse (in very small steps, perhaps on a daily basis).
I would advertise this system as a player-driven balancing - unique feature of the game.

Re: Automated player-driven balancing

If you create variables out of alpha, rof, optimal and falloff (it's how I understood your post) -such system would invariably lead you to all weapons doing same damage at same ranges (with exception of missiles which would result in shortest range - i think, didnt run numbers) with slight variations that compensate different bot speeds n armor.

I dddddddooooooonnnnnnn't think anyone would rly want that.

On  the other hand if you only had variables for alpha and rof (or just alpha).......  this might work. It's still a matter of figuring out how to get statistics that really reflect true state of weapons smile))

Automating it is obviously infeasible, but the devs probably can collect usage statistics (e.g. distance/damage of each shot made, usual fittings etc) and make balancing changes based on that.

Everything being used equally is not necessarily a sign of balance. Take most RTS games, for example. There are always units with very limited, but also very important roles. They are worthless in most cases, but sometimes they are the only tool for the job. They were well-balanced, but they were also rare.

Mark's got it right. Devs should watch killboards and collect other stats and make balance decisions from that.

TERRIBLE IDEA IS TERRIBLE

All of the knee jerk reactions are what got us into this mess in the first place.
Just because someone else is better at using a certain fit doesn't mean it needs nerfed because you cant kill it.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr