Topic: Perpetuum is on hold until Intrusion 2.0

Let's face it.  Server populations are at a low point again.  Corp drama has taken us as far as it can go as a reason to PvP.  Until the Beta islands are massively revamped, Perpetuum simply isn't going to grow.  (Obviously the server needs to be moved too, but that's another story.) 

Certainly we don't want the DEV's to rush out a patch that isn't well thought out and constructed.  I for one will keep my accounts active to collect EP, like I'm sure many others are doing right now while they are playing EVE or World of Tanks.  The Intrusion patch has the potential to make or break this game so please DEV's, make it a good one. 

Guild Wars 2, The Secret World and SWTOR are just around the corner and they are all promising compelling PvP (not to mention Planetside 2, Tribes Universe and Archage).  Perpetuum needs to secure their portion of the market share before these monsters come along and Perpetuum is left in the dust.

I am loving Perpetuum so far and the DEV's have been good to us for certain but we have to acknowledge that even though the amount of active subs have probably remained fairly constant so far, people are still not getting in game very much. 

Will a successful Intrusion Patch and possibly a server move be enough to give Perpetuum the boost that it needs or am I missing something else?

Re: Perpetuum is on hold until Intrusion 2.0

Agreed, but non of the above mentioned games afiak, don't enjoy single shard on a single server with a time based skill system, and we don't all care about pvp, some of those are not even on the sci-fi genre.

The only game competing directly with this one is eve online.

RIP PERPETUUM

Im still sure POS and large landmass will be a better than revamping intrusions. Who will play intrusions on the 4-arche locked islands?

Who knows if that will even help. They need more than just a revamp to intrusions. People aren't leaving because of how it's setup now. People are leaving because they're running out of things to do and fight for. Changing how we cap outposts in to a more active and time consuming method is going to kill this game. It will turn OP holding in to an annoying chore. If they release it however with changes to the incentives to holding one, then it just may be what brings the game to life again. The critical flaw in this game is that there's not enough to do. You either Farm (NPC/Arti), Mine or Roam.

There's very little to do in the way of empire building and real time objectives. Everything feels incredibly static and mundane once you've been around long enough. Once we actually get terraforming and base building with added weight to the effects of smaller scale PvP, then we'll be having fun.

... or I'll just be playing Diablo 3 if that release before this game changes. All in all though, funny enough, the one thing they did right is make it so you can get EP without logging in every other day to skill up. So I'll probably remain subbed even if I dont play for a few months.

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

Intrusions 2.0 will change very little.

This game definitely needs extended territorial control. Imagine how many players will join the game if they will able capture and hold their piece of world. +pos system and ...jackpot

7 (edited by Segreto 2011-09-02 17:56:59)

Sandbox vs. Sandbox

I don't think an amusement park game or a story-driven piece of eye candy will grab too many player away from us. So they should not even be in the equation. 

I think there are only 2 apsects to the probem of getting more players:

1. How to entice and keep current and new players who are already playing other sandbox games,

and 2. How to entice and keep new players to the genre.

The answer for one is simple.  Give the a better game.  The answer for 2 is to advertise.

Making a better game is going to take time, but the other one they can start doing as soon as the game is polished enough.

8 (edited by Celebro 2011-09-02 18:03:49)

Intrusion 2.0 seems like a good foundation to build upon with a future POS system. They are taking their time to get it right, intrusion 2.0 is the right next step foward, but will not bring much to the table until other features/content are added to the end game.

RIP PERPETUUM

9 (edited by Annihilator 2011-09-02 18:07:36)

you know, alexadar - having a bigger world to hide in there also means longer roaming runs with nothing to find. (The argumentations of those who have been against island expansion)

A PoS also doesn't mean anything if you place it somewhere, with enough luck that noone discovered you while building it up, but then when you have been found, a army of assault bots destroys it in a few waves when your corp is offline.

The issue with "persistant world" is that what you build on it, is there even when your logged out.

edit: and they ARE working on bigger islands, hopefully they DON'T waste time on filling it up with static NPC spawns.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Anni, i think top corporations will have a certain location where they are living atm. Yeah, devs can do large islands with tele's around them and this will cause boredoom. But if this continents will not have alot of outer teleports, situation will be another: roaming groups will have a choice: to search for some unknown enemy somewhere or to spend a half hour and come to the certain enemy corp home. I think in this case large islands will not add a boredom. They will add more space for new corps who want to lost somewhere and build something. It will works with a landmass what will have significantly more size that all islands have now.

for small corps: they can be everywhere. It will be hard to find them.
for large corps: they will be @ some terminal. Its easy to find them.
for medium corps: half of both statements.

11 (edited by Annihilator 2011-09-02 18:39:05)

what i am missing is the "how does a new corp start a living in no-mans land, when traveling to the next undestructible Syndicate outpost takes an hour or more, and building a own "over-night-bunker" isn't possible without heavy building gear."

i would really like to collect ideas about that, but any topic i start about details for PoS and big islands is either trolled or lacks participation...

what i hate most about this game is: it takes already ages to get somewhere, then you do something (most times its grinding) and then you have to get back, which takes again ages because any faster way is nerfed down for "PvP escape" reasons.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

It will get a lot better when we get POS in game.

Biggest problem with POS will be that the microscopic faction of very loud individuals will quite happily try influence the development so 10-15 light bots doing 5 AM roams can destroy something/someone's POS investments.

It's hard to really put a finger on it, in games like DAoC and WAR we called it "Realm Pride", people used to do near-ludicrous 40-hour-long warbands to protect their little NPC "King" from getting killed. Some "Corp-Pride" features possibly? I remember WAR especially REALLY watered down once they made the faction-cities ezmode so King-kills were "dime a dozen".

But seriously, if we're considering POS improvements on a strategy-scale look no further then the old jewels like Age of Empires 1 & 2. Bot Bay POS for producing light bots (aka Barracks in AOE), Mech Bay POS for producing mech&heavy mech (aka Stables in AOE), farms, walls, turrets, lumberyards (ok, we don't collect lumber here but maybe Triandlusyard? Helioyard?) stuff like that.

Perpetuum really needs more stuff for CREATING, and I don't care how anti-lore it is but players creating their own kingdoms/fiefdoms/communist states/capitalist states would certainly attract that niche of people who enjoy the Massively in MMORPG's.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

13 (edited by Alexadar 2011-09-02 18:50:36)

Syndic wrote:

Perpetuum really needs more stuff for CREATING

^^ this is why alot of players playing and still have faith. "PEWPEWNOOBIWON" players plays lineage like games.

Syndic wrote:

Perpetuum really needs more stuff for CREATING, and I don't care how anti-lore it is but players creating their own kingdoms/fiefdoms/communist states/capitalist states would certainly attract that niche of people who enjoy the Massively in MMORPG's.

Yeah, we all know what sandbox is - I want to make my sand castle that I'm proud of and I will do all that I can to protect it, to evolve it, to make it bigger, better, put more seme in it! smile

This game has taken a turn to be more like - we give you a surface, you go and roam and pewpew. There are no tools to build, there's no achievements, almost nothing to be really proud of... Gogogo, get in your ewar/light/hell maybe even *** and peeeeeeeewwwwww....

Knee-jerk reactions have started - buff, nerf, nerf, buff, nerf some more...balancing some say, heh - stop listening to CIR, to m2s, to 62nd, NeX, get your heads straight devs, give people something to lust for. When I 1st came it was heavies, but now months and months have passed - heavies are on no-ones to do list since we all know its too much hastle for most of players to get one only for it to be annihalated by 4-5 lights...so give us something to strive for!

Set some real goals, do something that will amaze players - just a few good ideas, stop the whines with constant +10% weapon range, -15% weapon range, -5% weapon range, +10% weapon range........

Hell - you're still in a world of trouble with the basics of the game - acc resets, extensions...work on good stuff - fine tune later. I think most will agree that online numbers are a nice proof of that.

15 (edited by SharkWolf 2011-09-02 19:54:48)

lol just becuase u playing some game , dont mean *** u didnt like the way game was rolling at u with the numbers u where loseing etc, and losing u erp tank killed u fail fleet! like i told u many times when time come for u to live in alpha u will quit and i was right !

16 (edited by Grim Faust 2011-09-02 20:02:33)

SharkWolf wrote:

lol just becuase u playing some game , dont mean *** u didnt like the way game was rolling at u with the numbers u where loseing etc, and losing u erp tank killed u fail fleet! like i told u many times when time come for u to live in alpha u will quit and i was right !

Get your head out of your *** and go troll elsewhere. This thread's about the state of the game, not your epeen.

17 (edited by Jelan 2011-09-02 20:12:18)

No it's not, it's CIR trying to influence the devs once again, just because their toys got fixed and they cant iwin everything they've gone all emo saying that the games dead until intrusion 2.0, its not dead for anyone except chaos, rg and cir.  Everyone else is still playing and having fun

It's pretty obvious that the people still in game, playing, are having fun. Else they wouldn't be playing, now would they? How does that expunge the deficit that's been building up of online players? Numbers are getting low again because the game's fine? People who quit and wander off aren't going to be as vocal at all, in fact, I'm sure they'll just pack up their *** and leave. If you're still having fun camping stations and ganking the loaners you find, then all the power to you. But for the rest of the people that have pretty much put this game on the back burner, I think it's time to start paying attention to them.

Or you can make excuses for why people are quitting and watch all your competition walk out. I mean, that's cool too I guess. Whatever floats your boat.

Jelan wrote:

No it's not, it's CIR trying to influence the devs once again, just because their toys got fixed and they cant iwin everything they've gone all emo saying that the games dead until intrusion 2.0, its not dead for anyone except chaos, rg and cir.  Everyone else is still playing and having fun

"Hello, we are Menace to Society, and we care about YOU, the society. even though we are completely innocent and ignorant of what our former CEO did we nevertheless will hold entire corporations responsible for their individual members say and vice versa, we do however expect other corporations and people not to treat us the same way as we are totally innocent of any previous misdeeds by misguided individuals.

But now as mere unwilling associates of the exploiter who have no tie to the exploiter save for having been in his corporation and accepting his free bots without even the slightest doubt, we call out that CIR, RG, CHAOS is 'killing the game' and 'attempting to harm the game', something which never even occured to us when it was only our small minority steamrolling the entire server and having patch notes pre-delivered to our CEO, which we had absolutely no knowledge of and assure the community that our corporation massively respeccing to Missiles shortly after patch-release was a mere coincidence."

Did I accurately sum up your very vocal position mr. Jelan? smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

SharkWolf wrote:

Jelan wrote:

Those messages give a very evident impression about you and your corpses being their members.

Honestly, what a shame hmm

I believe pvp could be very exciting and the game has what it takes. But this is game is ruined and we all know  by who, it´s by corps like CiR, -77- and PHM. - by Fu ManChu

U mad Syndic for some reason?  The truth hurt?  You upset that you have delivered styx's legacy to him on a plate?

The fact is imho that if retributthurt and novablob hadn't insisted on napping as much of the server as they could then we would have a much more dynamic playing field, more corps fighting for an outpost as they wouldn't have to worry about upsetting one of your many pets and getting camped out of the game if they took one

Smaller conflicts would have occurred due to machinations of others or 'cos you looked at me funny'.

This would have led to more losses leading to more demand meaning more profit for industrial players

If there's more pvp for the bloodthirsty players and industry players are making money then they will stay.

All of you shouldnt let the past ruin your lives and certainly shouldnt be proud of your achievements because grinding players out of a game isn't an achievement you should be proud of.

Whether you like it or not, that is your legacy and the sooner CIR curls up and dies then hopefully the pet corps will strike out on their own and we can have some more fun

Im having fun. I think whether people stay or leave, I will have fun.

I enjoy the game and I know I am not alone. Sure I have only been playing 2 months and the game needs adjustment, I am happy with the progress the Devs have made.

Whether there are huge mech fleet battles or small roams with a couple assults, I enjoy it for what it is.

I didn't expect many of the people from EVE to stay. The game needs alot of work but I think people are blowing things out of proportion.

The real reason you guys are not happy is the fail politics that have been going on lately. Big alliances = no variety in PvP / roaming. Yeah, beta may be broken. But CIR/Novastrov, you only have yourself to blame for the fact that you do not get the "epic mech fights" that you want by blobbing together and having an alliance that consisted of most of the mech based PvP oriented players in the game.

Allying with all corporations that roam / PvP in mechs besides M2S, you sealed your own fate of boredom.

Syndic/Novastrov: Good job at killing off the only PvP you enjoyed. The rest of us will still be here, having fun, and not blueing every single corporation on the server and then wondering where all the epic PvP went.

Cya around wink

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Jelan wrote:

Whether you like it or not, that is your legacy and the sooner CIR curls up and dies then hopefully the pet corps will strike out on their own and we can have some more fun

Since I wasn't quite around - can you tell me how many players Perp had before m2s played with insurance and with oh look I didn't mine for a minute and I have infinite mech supply game that led to to some alliances?

Sundial wrote:

The real reason you guys are not happy is the fail politics that have been going on lately. Big alliances = no variety in PvP / roaming. Yeah, beta may be broken. But CIR/Novastrov, you only have yourself to blame for the fact that you do not get the "epic mech fights" that you want by blobbing together and having an alliance that consisted of most of the mech based PvP oriented players in the game.

Allying with all corporations that roam / PvP in mechs besides M2S, you sealed your own fate of boredom.

Syndic/Novastrov: Good job at killing off the only PvP you enjoyed. The rest of us will still be here, having fun, and not blueing every single corporation on the server and then wondering where all the epic PvP went.

Cya around wink

So, this game does not need anything, all is good, only bad thing is the big bad CIR/NovaBlob wolf?
Strange... So, you and 300 people that are on at most are having fun and it's all good.
We are trying to talk about stuff that can make this game improve, have more people online, have a few more stuff to do then to go roam in ewars/lights. But hate is blinding...

Tusk McPumpkin wrote:
Sundial wrote:

Cya around wink

So, this game does not need anything, all is good, only bad thing is the big bad CIR/NovaBlob wolf?
Strange... So, you and 300 people that are on at most are having fun and it's all good.
We are trying to talk about stuff that can make this game improve, have more people online, have a few more stuff to do then to go roam in ewars/lights. But hate is blinding...

Learn to read.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.