Topic: Farming at mission points

Couldn't find a feedback area so I posted this here.

I bought the game a couple of hours ago and started trying to do the tutorial missions. However it seems every point I get to there is people farming the npc, tagging everything around before I can even lock onto it.

It is extremely frustrating, (to the point were I am thinking of just giving up on this already.) I understand these people just want to loot the npc to get themselves a little cash but they are doing at the expense of other gamers, effectively blocking/slowing down our mission progression.

I was hoping something could be done about this, maybe in the way of removing item drops from the mobs at the locations missions direct you to, or by some other means.

Re: Farming at mission points

ProjectAngel wrote:

Couldn't find a feedback area so I posted this here.

I bought the game a couple of hours ago and started trying to do the tutorial missions. However it seems every point I get to there is people farming the npc, tagging everything around before I can even lock onto it.

It is extremely frustrating, (to the point were I am thinking of just giving up on this already.) I understand these people just want to loot the npc to get themselves a little cash but they are doing at the expense of other gamers, effectively blocking/slowing down our mission progression.

I was hoping something could be done about this, maybe in the way of removing item drops from the mobs at the locations missions direct you to, or by some other means.

There are a few other threads about this, here is a link to the main one on it;

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … ed-target/

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

If you can objectively demonstrate how your mission grinding is more important then another players NPC farming then you may have a point. If not then it's just two kids fighting over a Teddy bear and asking mommy to decide who gets it.

Snowstyle wrote:

If you can objectively demonstrate how your mission grinding is more important then another players NPC farming then you may have a point. If not then it's just two kids fighting over a Teddy bear and asking mommy to decide who gets it.

In a sense the newb areas are more important than an old timer farming kernels, the newbs will let you have the teddy bear and go to another game, this is being debated a lot in the thread i posted above.

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

5 (edited by ProjectAngel 2010-11-29 03:05:07)

Zhyntil wrote:

There are a few other threads about this, here is a link to the main one on it;

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … ed-target/

Thanks for the info.

Snowstyle wrote:

Thanks for wasting my time. I don't choose where the missions send me, these people however choose where they farm. That is why my point is justified. I'm not asking for all farming to be removed and prevented. I am asking that farming areas are kept seperate from mission areas.

Also I would think when customers come forward pointing out what they consider to be a serious flaw then the company would be keen to listen. Useless pricks like yourself do not help the process in any way.

Zhyntil wrote:

... the newbs will let you have the teddy bear and go to another game....

Spot on.

I don't choose where the missions send me, these people however choose where they farm.

The NPC farmers don't however chose where the most NIC efficient farming areas are located.

I'm not asking for all farming to be removed and prevented. I am asking that farming areas are kept seperate from mission areas.

I never claimed that you were claiming such a thing. I'm just posting my oposition and its reasoning.

Also I would think when customers come forward pointing out what they consider to be a serious flaw then the company would be keen to listen. Useless pricks like yourself do not help the process in any way.

Again I never claimed that your opinion was more worthy of DEV attention then mine although it seems that you are implying the opposite. Is everyone who disagrees with you a useless prick? Thank you for demonstrating your ability to reason in a civil manner.

I'm not particularly fussed about out of the tutorial mission area; however, i do think that the tutorial area should be in some way made unattractive to grinding of bots for loot just to give the new players a helping hand.

Deliv Erance wrote:

I'm not particularly fussed about out of the tutorial mission area; however, i do think that the tutorial area should be in some way made unattractive to grinding of bots for loot just to give the new players a helping hand.

no loot from rank 0's

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

or specific drones in the beginner area for the tuto only, like : nia drones

I discovered the farming last night myself...easily tripled the time it would normally take to kill 10 drones or so. In any event, farming is part of the gameplay for a good many games.

Perhaps the suggestion that no worthwhile loot drops early on has some merit, but on the other hand, getting some worthwhile loot drops early on is a significant help for the new guys.

The good news is that you can at least farm if you choose to without getting ganked.

I managed to get through the tutorial missions in the end but it was extremely frustrating. I had other members of my clan complaining about it today on Teamspeak as well. It's deffinately something that should be looked into because first impressions go a long way.

Like I said earlier, my complaint doesn't lie with people just trying to earn some cash in game. It's the fact that farming is almost encouraged in the areas tutorial missions send you to.

I kinda got in b4 this problem became extremely prevalent. However, i certainly understand the need for it to be addressed on a MINOR scale of tutorial missions ONLY.

People coming into the game are just learning the very basics of how to play. They will have ample time to learn the negative social impacts of the game once they put their big boy pants on and get out of the tutorial.  Let them have the ability to see how the mechanics of the game and missions work 1st.

ProjectAngel wrote:

I managed to get through the tutorial missions in the end but it was extremely frustrating. I had other members of my clan complaining about it today on Teamspeak as well. It's deffinately something that should be looked into because first impressions go a long way.

Like I said earlier, my complaint doesn't lie with people just trying to earn some cash in game. It's the fact that farming is almost encouraged in the areas tutorial missions send you to.

Well said. smile

Locking on to a target... 1 second to go... BAM! Another players missile smacks it in the face and it's tagged for them. And I need to kill 10 of these f**ks!

I had to wait for my friend to turn up and tag the mobs for me so I could get the loot, but if it wasn't for his help I would have probably logged out, and I can see this being a cause for many people to cancel their subscriptions if it persists.

-As someone that sucks at PvP, the tutorial spot farming actually was good for me. With a sensor amp and a little bit of patience, i've completed the tutorial assignments several times. The time it took to fend of a camper wasn't more than 5-10 minutes extra on top of what it would normally have been. My experience may not be typical, but i have done it enough times to consider it a representative sample. I don't think it needs changed, and am glad i had to deal with it as now i am more comfortable with the combat controls for it.

Rattletrap

well, i don't know how the mob system works at the core, but a good solution for this problem will be that the number of mobs on farming areas will be dynamic, i.e. if one player is in the area, 5 drones will spawn, if 5 players are in the area 15 drones will spawn...

Update news for 2010-11-23
Gameplay

* Fix: Reloading a module will now wait until the current cycle finishes and initiate the reload cycle after that.
    * Fix: Improved terrain line-of-sight calculations.
    * New: Implemented dynamic NPC respawn times.

Assignments

* Change: Lowered transport assignment money rewards.

General

* Fix: "Most dangerous Agents" list didn't work properly.

actually, the dynamic spawn IMHO makes it even more profitable to camp the drone spawns.

Forum Rule #5
Pyramid quoting, quoting excessive amounts of text or quoting without any senseful reply is forbidden. Only quote that is necessary to show what your reply refers to.

Recognizer wrote:

Gameplay

* Fix: Reloading a module will now wait until the current cycle finishes and initiate the reload cycle after that.

Assignments

General

actually, the dynamic spawn IMHO makes it even more profitable to camp the drone spawns.

Yes, that is what i worry about, once you have the area locked down you just have to get each one first as they spawn in, the more spawn, the more attractive it is to farm.

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

Recognizer wrote:

Gameplay

Assignments

General

yes, spawn times, and i'm talking about spawn numbers.

20 (edited by Ricimer 2010-12-01 19:54:05)

The Newb areas are jammed right now because EVERYBODY is a newb.  This is a one time problem and soon the players will move past these low areas and the problem will mostly correct itself.

I'm sorry, but I really feel the need to add the comment: DUH!

The newb areas are jammed because Doing grade 1 missions earn you 5 times the money and rank as grade 2 in the same time. Without an assault mech I can not do outpost missions, they take more then 10x the time and I often lose Nec doing them because of the ammo. I also die. I doubt I am the only one since there are hardly any people doing outpost even though they are rank 2. So all mobs will attack you. I have only seen missile user do outpost successfully so far.

Ricimer wrote:

The Newb areas are jammed right now because EVERYBODY is a newb.  This is a one time problem and soon the players will move past these low areas and the problem will mostly correct itself.

Actually if you read the thread (and/or the like 4 others that are running around on the same subject), you would see that the problem is actually not too many newbs crowding the mission areas, it is older toons in larger, faster mechs that can lock out an area........one player with one of these mechs can get every mech that spawns due to faster lock times (and killing times) than the newbs.

So sorry, i feel the need to return your "duh!" with interest, find out the facts before trying to insult others......

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

Mssion location should not point to same area...

Zhyntil wrote:
Ricimer wrote:

Actually if you read the thread (and/or the like 4 others that are running around on the same subject), you would see that the problem is actually not too many newbs crowding the mission areas, it is older toons in larger, faster mechs that can lock out an area........one player with one of these mechs can get every mech that spawns due to faster lock times (and killing times) than the newbs.

So sorry, i feel the need to return your "duh!" with interest, find out the facts before trying to insult others......

This, yesterday someone was farming noob mission npc with 2 assault bots, try to compete with him...

Just mark down the names of the idiots, and gank them later on. I've also done the Tutorial mission over 10 times on all 3 islands, and I've run into idiots that farm the tutorial spots when arkhe's are obviously just trying to finish the tutorial missions. But seriously once you get the Sensor Amp, you can out-lock them light bots and and assaults, cause they can't target and tag everything. Just wait for a fresh spawn when he is attacking something else.