Topic: Environmental Damage

A little more chaos on Nia would be a lovely thing. Keeps things interesting and exciting, dynamic and challenging. I propose that the planet itself become an active participant in Perpetuum. And to that end, environmental damage/effects!

Possible forms: gas clouds, dangerous weather, unstable terrain, lava/acid pools, meteor showers
Possible effects: damage (over time, instantaneous, type-specific or universal, etc.), reduced stats (slower movement, reduced accuracy, lower resistances), electronic (EW-like effects, temporary bot shutdown, loss of bot control).

Events could be local, permanent features (gas clouds, acid pools) or temporary (weather, meteor shower). Effects would be guessable based on the event: lightning is instant damage plus EWar effects, gas cloud is constant low-mid dps chemical damage, lava pools are constant high-dps thermal plus demob (perhaps low-dps with no demob if just nearby).

Perhaps cover could be sought from some events. Maybe being near a tree/building keeps you safe from lightning. Being under cover saves from corrosive rain. Shields help against some, but not others.

Benefits include:
More interesting and engaging world in general. More features with which to differentiate islands: maybe some tend to have acid pools, others bad weather. More variety for PvE players: artifacts might be in gas clouds, meteor strikes create patches of valuable minerals. More tactical options: a shortcut is faster but leaves you damaged, try to push/lead enemies into dangerous spots. PvP shakeups: "we were totally winning, but then a tornado hit and took out some of the light bots!"

I'm not proposing any balance guidelines. I just hold it obvious that the end result must be fun, interesting, and not to anyone's overall advantage.

Thanks for reading!

Re: Environmental Damage

+Over9000

I like it. Good ideas lets make nia interactive. nice one

Rico Rage wrote:

+Over9000

big_smile Thanks!

I should also point out that there's no obvious reason something like this needs to be done all at once as part of a gigantic superpatch. I'd be more than happy to see them arrive piecemeal if that makes it feasible. I.e. Simple stuff (static gas clouds) to start, complex stuff (dynamic weather) when resources allow.

Great ideas....

I think some kind of interference would be cool that increases all bots masking by alot while in it....

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

I would very much like this!

same topic content as the "weather effects" topic...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Plants should spawn the occasional corrosive cloud when hit.

Juan Valdez wrote:

Plants should spawn the occasional corrosive cloud when hit.

NOOOOOO!!!!  ... Well, okay sure.

Anyway, some great ideas in this thread!  I'd love to see the planet itself has some influence on the outcome of events.  In many cases, real battles have been won and lost thanks to the influence of weather.  I'm looking at your Russian invasion attempts, Napoleon and that "other guy" who used to live Germany.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Annihilator wrote:

same topic content as the "weather effects" topic...

Ahh... Didn't think to check for weather specifically. Searched for all kinds of other stuff before posting, though. v0v

We have these  ideas in mind as well, sooner or later they will be implemented.

"Rock is OP. Paper is okay." - Scissors

Uh oh, did Alf just Trade Mark "Later"...

smile

Arga wrote:

Uh oh, did Alf just Trade Mark "Later"...

smile

I thik he trademarked "later" not "Later" but if you're going to be kinky about it and use a capital L, then have the nerve to omit the underline...meh, who am I to argue that?

Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)

Later smile is good.

I'd like to add they shouldn't all be negative effects.

In Battletech you could fire weapons off longer if you were standing in water since it decreased the rate you overheated.  Environmental effects should come in both positive and negative flavors.

16 (edited by Alexander 2011-08-17 10:32:01)

DEV Alf wrote:

We have these  ideas in mind as well, sooner or later they will be implemented.

OMG OMG OMG. THAT MEANS NEXT PATCH GUYZ! yikes
Later

Robophiliac wrote:

In Battletech you could fire weapons off longer if you were standing in water since it decreased the rate you overheated.  Environmental effects should come in both positive and negative flavors.

So when there is thunder, and you've got a directly lightning hit, your accu should insta-recharge?

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Line wrote:
Robophiliac wrote:

So when there is thunder, and you've got a directly lightning hit, your accu should insta-recharge?

I don't know about that specifically but there are things that could be done which add positive effects.

If adding negative effects makes combat more tactical adding positive effects would as well.  Squads would be trying to force an enemy into an area that hampers their combat effectiveness while trying to hold on to and utilize an area that enhances their own.

Some weather generators then aswell, or your robot/fit can affect weather somehow. Says, a big group of hmechs have a chance to cause an earthquake, etc.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

I want a Tornado module!

Arga wrote:

I want a Tornado module!

The last thing the world needs is to see you doing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCXZkfvIfhk

We know you would if you had the aforementioned module at your disposal.