Re: Market... or lack thereof.

Hugh Ruka wrote:

market tax. it is better for me to sell something for 40k a piece to a corp mate than on the open market for 45k a piece. I still make more and don't need to waste EPs.

the market tax should be halved and that's it.

Agreed.

It's not all about T4 stuff. A lot of people are interested in T3 as well - especially guns and tunings since the T4 versions are rather expensive (for newer player). The demand isn't growing that strong anymore ... lots of people have already left the game. That leads to the question: which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Tax IS a consideration, but I doubt that bares much impact.

I've a marketing alt which has loads of buy order and sell order slots, along with good relations and reduced tax.  but its still not profitable to do any kind of arbitrage trading
So really, there isnt much benefit to spending EP on those marketing skills.

so with very few characters spending EP on marketing skills, and very few people doing any kind of serious buying and selling the market is just not worth it.    And decent items which do go on the market are marked up really high.   and thats only because there is no market history and noone knows their true value.

I beleive that all characters should start with a lot more buy/sell order slots. and have the marketing skills more related to be able to doing remote marketing.

Then have the relationship bonuses actually means something, so that mission runners actually get some benefit from having good relations.  Maybe remove the tax skill alltogether and have tax relieve purely relationship based.

When the 'energy credits' system comes in, also have some kind of reward for getting involved with the market..  you could adjust it over time as the market grows.  But right now, it needs a very big carrot to get it moving.

Arga wrote:

how many of you out there are acutally producing T4?

It's easy to say 'sell the extra' but your not priviy to the production lines of those 'unnamed closed corps', so it's impossible to say they if they have extra, or how many they have to stock to be extra.

Simply, PVP corps don't produce for the open market. If they have 'enough' T4 lasers, they shut down the line and start making something else, when you have enough of those, you start a new line.

These items are continually being lost to PVE and PVP, so there is never 'enough' or 'extra'.

Players in new pvp corps are just going to have to wait until the industrial corps have their production up, because we DO produce for the market.

How many non-corp sponsored players can afford to fit T4 for PVP roams anyway? Not many, and certainly not for long.

So, when we do start producing, its going to be the PVE's buying, and a small group of them too that are able to afford it. There are T4 medium lasers on the market now, if the demand was that high, they would be sold out. Reality is that after a few weeks of a new items reaching the market, the majority of those looking to buy it will, and the remaining stock will sit for weeks as ones and twos sell as new players earn NIC.

Members of those closed corps work hard to ensure they have a supply of items, mining, ratting, producing, they aren't getting anything for free. It's stupid to think they should just open thier storages and let goods flow into the open market, where players that havn't contributed anything get the advantage of their hard work.

Tl;DR - The T4 'public' market isn't very large. Sure players 'want' T4 but those able to repeatedly purchase T4 is very small. If T4 was more readily available, the PVE crowd would buy it once, then the market would slow to a trickle of 'oops' and a few bots a week getting to the new EP level.

Arga is completely right.

It is also reality that industrial corps like PIE will sell T4 with prices that cover the potential risk they are taking by mining/harvesting/ratting on Beta. Most Alpha dwellers will run triangles for weeks to afford that T4, and nobody will bother going into an undercutting war with them because as Arga said; there is never "enough" in PVP corps. You can have for example, 956 Kains in stock but you still have your 5-week plan which includes 250 more Kains to be produced & fits for them.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

29 (edited by Grim Faust 2011-08-15 17:54:40)

Part of the reason why the market is dragging is because of the amount of time it takes to get in to making higher tier stuff steadily. The other part is the amount of churn in this game. It takes a lot of time and effort from a decent group of people to build up the NIC and kernels, not to mention get beta access for resources or some sort of supply deal. A lot of corps dissolve before they can really delve too deep in to this market. The few corps that have been here for larger sums of time are PvP corps and their interest in public industry and markets is likely minimal. If they do get high enough to make T4 in steady batches, why would they need the NIC, what else could they really need the cash for? They already have the most sought after items, there'd be no point in putting it on the market to possibly supply adversaries aside to maybe sell off something they have way too much of. ( which wont last long given the nature of pew pew pvp corps ) With the current model of this games research and manufacturing, we'd need to see a lot more emphasis on keeping indy folks long enough to actually setup a market and who knows how long that will take or what it will take. The changes to T1 were nice for entry level indy, but the high end will still remain a beta thing and right now that's just a seriously flustered subject.

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

Maybe I missed the point of the thread.

It seems as I reread, its less about supply then demand.

The players that have access to and use the internal corp markets are not suddenly going to be consumers on the open market if the feature is removed.

The pool of consumers is small, so demand is small, compared to the overall population. Producers like Purgetory that are able to get out in front of the moving prototype market are going to fish the blue waters and reap the benefit, as it should be. The rest of the producers are going to have to swim around in the red water and compete against a dimishing demand.

This desire to jump in front is the motivation behind all the revert kernel threads, because it's not like players can't figure out the best way to make profit is to provide items with limited availablity.

T3 and T4 won't always be ultra-expensive. Take the T4 LW frame as an example. At first you couldn't buy one for any price, then they started to show up on the market (Thanks P smile ) and since it's fairly low on the light kerner research, it eventually became available to many more producers, and now the price of 1.2-7M is driven by the cost of norgalis and epitron and is about as low as it will go unless those prices change dramatically.

They will however always be expensive to produce, and as such will never become 'common' in non-beta corp pvp until the next level of equipment becomes available. Why, simply it's not worth the 5 day grind to outfit a T4 mech for 1 or 2 fights a week before you lose it and have to grind another one.

Which leads again back to PVE and the small consumer demand. PVE doesn't lose bots and modules often, so they can afford to fit a T4 mech out to grind NIC on rats, but they only buy once. Purg is going to have a nice rush of T4 ERP sales for those PVE players, and he will get a tidy profit for his investments (All good smile ), and eventually those able to spend the initial high cost will be satisfied, but the price won't go down because there's no need to lower it; again because T4 is not about volume sales.

There are ALOT of players out there making items, alot. But they are also all in the red water. So yes, the market competition is very stiff for the small pool of players buying. The harsh reality though, is the more players that get frustrated with the market and stop production, means less competition for those that stick it out.

TL:DR The game needs more PVP, more PVP challenges for players that don't center around outposts, AND PVE content that is challenging and rewarding enough to risk blowing up bots.

Hmm although Purgatory can produce almost or even everything ... his technology store is limited by his production capacity. That's where other industrial players can make their profit. I hope that's what you meant by "red water".

Btw. right now is no medium lazor ammo of any kind available at TMA (except NPC sell orders).
Hardly a problem of expensive research or missing Epriton/Noralgis. And to be honest: i don't know why Noralgis is so expensive at all. Incubators are unlimited available and a dedicated harvester can make really good NICs in a very short amount of time (at least someone with several accounts). Ninja mining Epriton is a joke compared to this.
The difference between T1 and T4 equipment is hughe when it comes to prices and PvP. What lies between? T3.

And yes moar PvP is needed. And T3 stuff too;)

Red water just means doing the same thing as everyone else, working on proven methods. Blue water in this case means the first out there selling ERP's.

For instance, a blue market idea would be setting up a mobile ammo shop out where players are farming, and selling them ammo through a container. Selling ammo on the market is red water, selling them in the field is a blue water idea

It's not that field ammo sales would work, but thats the risk you take to reach blue water (less competition), by trying something that may fail instead of just doing what everyone else is doing.

Technically Purgetory is really only limited by how much capital he wants to invest in his production chain and market supply of materials. Having high research makes the game simplier, because you know that by producing things at the end of the tree your going to sell them for a high margin. It's not the only way, its just the easiest.

Just to be perfectly clear, it takes Billions of NIC to complete the tech tree. When you see T4 mining lasers for 10M, it's not because of the material cost, its because of the huge time and capital that was required to achieve the ability to even make them.

As was pointed out, it takes 4 staggered lines to produce T4 items, as well as time and material. The selling price between T1 and T2 is fairly small, but it literally takes 2 times as much time and material to make T2. So, T2 should be at least double the price of T1 PLUS the cost of the prototype PLUS the cost of the kernel research to make the prototype.

T2 for items the drop off npc's just isn't worth producing, it's best to use those to setp to T3, at Triple ++ cost. But now your starting again to limit the market of those capable or willing to spend NIC on T3 items at that expense.

At that point, if you can make T4, your better off doing it, since the T4 will have a higher margin and you've already sunk 3/4 of the capital into the module.

Norgalis is expensive because it is. I know its wierd, players just don't like farming, but ninja raiders like stealing it, and the volume of norgalis off alpha plants is so low compared to incubator cost, you can buy it cheaper. But if it wasn't 'rare' and expensive, the devs would step in and make it so, because that's the point of it, to bottle neck production of tiered items and hmechs.

The trouble with ammo, at least from my production stand point is that there's too many of them, too many locations to sell them at, and they sell too slowly. Which translates to - they take up too many production lines, to cover even one weapon type needs a lot of material (which is NIC captial) that sits around for a long time with little margin.

The new CT base helps a little with tying up production costs, but they still sell very slowly, so given a choice between using material on a slow moving low margin item, or a fast moving high margin item... its a easy decision.

It has only been a few days since the CT change, its highly likely that new producers will start making ammo, because they don't have the choice, so slow moving low margin or nothing is also an easy decision.

Tax is a huge issue for us as well. We can sell tax free to corp mates, or we can sell on the open market with tax at the same rate. Since selling on the open market means actually moving stuff it's not worth the effort when we can sell right out of station to our friends.

I've encouraged a few of our friendly corps to put alts in NEX and use our market because it's well stocked. Having them buy and sell through our market saves a lot of nic that would otherwise be wasted on transaction costs.

If the market had a lower tax rate for listing it'd be more palatable. But as is, if you have a large and liquid corp market there's not much incentive to go outside of it unless you have good tax skills and items that can be sold at a significant markup.

Juan Valdez wrote:

I've encouraged a few of our friendly corps to put alts in NEX and use our market because it's well stocked. Having them buy and sell through our market saves a lot of nic that would otherwise be wasted on transaction costs.

Doesn't this go against your public message of encouraging market growth?

Its one thing to use the internal market to distribute to your corp members, but you've just created a shadow market. It's not an exploit or anything, it just goes against your PR. No wonder the open market has seen a decrease in activity.

That just shows an example of why I personally think corp markets should not have existed yet. The player base is too small to have a system like that which effectively seggregates and splinters the market. It leaves a lot of holes and makes the main market seem defficient. It's also kind of hard to see where demand lies if there's no supply and no way of really seeing who the sellers/suppliers are on the market. I also don't like how our market has been done 'elsewhere' and brought here like a carbon copy. The idea that you need skills to sell x amount of items or to reduce fees makes it a hinderance to the growth of the market. These sorts of things are usually governors for wild markets that could grow out of control, that's definitely not something we see in PO so these limits feel a bit questionable. Would the market go wild if these were removed? Not likely, even though the notion can't be dismissed. But I look at the current market model and it looks like it's better suited for a larger playerbase. If not because of the current state of the game, but also because of it's setup and restraints and fractioning with corp markets.

Internal corp demand isn't market demand anyway. NeX using it as a shadow doesn't remove the functionality of the internal market as a necessry tool for capitalistic corps to function. Simply, my miners buying charges off the internal market is NEVER going to be something that would show up in the public market. All it would mean is that I would have to put them in the corporate folder and either work on the honor system and since non-accounting players can't donate NIC directly, have to have them send me or another officer and we deposit it.

No, the internal market is a vital tool in managing a corporation, and I didn't say what NeX was doing was even 'wrong', only that it conflicts with what they have publically announced as one of thier Corporate Missions. If that mission has changed, that's OK too, no drama intended. Maybe they just didn't realize the negative effect a shadow market has on an open market, but I'm sure they are making a significantly better profit, so it's hard to argue with using it in that manner.

If a corp is using it as a mock market to avoid taxes and keeping supply off the main market, while meeting demands of players, then yeah, it is taking away from the public market. To have an internal system for corp usage is fine, but to make it tax free and a mirror of the public market, makes the public market less desirable. They should have something in place where sales are limited. That way you could supply your corp with necessary objects, such as your miner charges, but not take a swathe of items off the public market just to dodge taxes and keep things out of the general publics hands. There's nothing wrong with internal trading, there's even a trade function in game. But when the market is replicated and sub-sectioned, it just reinforces the splintering of the public market.

Grim Faust wrote:

But when the market is replicated and sub-sectioned, it just reinforces the splintering of the public market.

I completely agree with this.

The solution though isn't removal of the internal corp market, unless they provide some other tool for internal distribution, and then that too will be subject to the same work-around.

If someone is willing to put an alt into a corp, there's absolutely no way to know (for some game mechanic to know) if they are a 'real' corp member or there just to play the shadow market. If you limit the internal market, all that will do is hurt the corporations that are NOT using it as a shadow market.

NeX has the largest single consumer base in the game. Setting it up this way was shrewd business, and a way to leverage thier numbers to the best advantage.

I'm just as screwed by this as the next producer that doesn't join in the shadow market, but I have to admit it's brillent.

39 (edited by Juan Valdez 2011-08-16 20:45:12)

Arga wrote:
Juan Valdez wrote:

Doesn't this go against your public message of encouraging market growth?

Its one thing to use the internal market to distribute to your corp members, but you've just created a shadow market. It's not an exploit or anything, it just goes against your PR. No wonder the open market has seen a decrease in activity.

Frankly, yes. And while it's obviously a bad system for the game, it's a hugely advantageous one for us.

I mean, look at it from a pros/cons pov:

Pros:
No skills required
No tax
Easier to see exactly what industry is contributing

Cons:
Smaller pool of buyers

We export a huge amount of stuff still, but that's the thing. We export it, we don't consider it part of our market.

A small corp has to choose between listing something on the open market and paying a tithe for the privilege, or listing on the internal market and never seeing it move. We get to choose between a market where we have to compete with our internal industry for good volume, or compete on the open market and pay a tithe.

The current market setup is designed to disincline people towards selling on the open market because it eats up a HUGE chunk of your profits. A hefty barrier to entry that shouldn't exist given the current state of the game. A much lighter tax and usage regimen would get more people trading, a good thing for new players. If things get too frothy, well, raise the tax rates.

I'd advocate a 1% tax (reduced by skills to .5%) and a much higher base number of sell/buy slots. That'd be a level it would take to make us indifferent between our internal and our external market options for non-subsidized goods. Any higher and we'll just internal it.

I still want to see the open market big and strong. But right now it costs too dang much to use it and make a profit for the majority of our members who _haven't_ trained market related extensions.

edit: Yes, the tl;dr version is that we've got the consumers to dodge the tax, so we're gonna dodge the tax. Neener neener gubermint, you ain't gitten your share. Mhmm.

Yeah, it's easy to see how it's lucrative to make and use markets as such. But with all the quips about the markets being barren lately (and prior as well), it seems to be a bit of a predicament. Like I said, if they limited the internal market to make it viable, but not overly beneficial to using the public market the two could coincide. But as is, there's no real downfall to using the corp market and you even get the bonus of negating levied fees. It's almost as if AC wants us to use corp markets as opposed to the public market, which to me is largely detrimental to a game that needs a market that's player driven as everything is player made. It really has to suck for newer players when they try the game and cant even buy player orders and not only that, when they get subbed and find out the market pales in comparisson to what's likely subdivided amongst all the corp markets.

It's human nature to be lazy, which is what makes personal trading viable, but not readily used. The fact that people can post mass auctions internally and cheaper, means that there's not really an incentive to grow the public market when demand is being met internally by and largely by every other internal market. It's almost like a self fulfilling prophecy of the breakdown of public marketing. Limit internal so that private sales are still possible, but not a conduit to syphoning the public market appeal. It can be done, it just seems it was overlooked and so were the effects of internal markets.

41 (edited by Johnny EvilGuy 2011-08-16 21:20:37)

While I agree with BugSplat's opening post regarding the fact that, if the market were a bikini, it'd be a tiny one indeed, I'm not sure that this is really game breaking for everyone.  Yes, it's annoying not to be able to get anything I want from the market without having to travel a lot to find it or, sometimes just do without it, but that's not a huge show-stopper.  I have to think about equipment, juggle reactor or CPU, or sometimes just do without.  It's okay to not have everything at one's fingertips.

The market is wide open at the moment for savvy people able to find things to sell that are in demand.  There's not very much competition so there's room for a little price gouging.  Sure, corps are going to horde their own production capacity, but not everyone is doing that and it probably won't kill the game.

Besides, I like string bikinis and the market looks hot wearing one.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

42 (edited by Grim Faust 2011-08-16 21:31:23)

Hrmm, from a producing perspective, the public market right now is pretty shoddy. While it may appear like it's ripe for the picking, it's not. The lack of supply on the market would normally indicate a boon for anyone with supply, but in reality it's lack of supply is because of all the internal markets. Demand is being met internally at market locations that are convenient to whomever's corp is setting up the market. Logistics is a pain in the arse in this game in my opinion, so moving around piles of goods is a big factor depending on where you're based, where minerals are and where you need to go for demand. If the demand is on your doorstep, it's as simple as sitting and stocking the internal market with lesser fees and watching your stocks sell. You'd inherently know what your corp wants and needs so it's not hard to market to your chums. This leaves public producers to cator to whom?  Unless they're in a corp they're not likely to even have the resources to do any substantial marketing and if they could anyway, they likely wouldn't even need the NIC at that point. You need a corp to build your research, so that's kind of the catch that's going to push you in to a corp and thus a private market. There isn't really any aspect of the current market model that makes the public market appealing. If that were untrue, the market wouldn't be a skeleton that's basically largely only used to sell raw goods to people likely to use said goods to manufacture items for their private markets.

Well, simply the corp market was never intended as a mechanism to bypass the tax of the open market for sales to other corporations.

There's really no choice now but for the devs to close this loophole. The question is how will they do it.

Maybe impose an overall corp cap to the amount of items that can be listed on an internal market? This would force people out of the internal markets largely as only important items would be posted so as to stay under the cap. You could also apply a tax to the internal markets and leave them open, but that would be a tad more finnicky as you'd then have to find a fair tax, but also one that would make the public market appealing again. Given the logistics headache and the fact that the open market would be a lot more competitive, the tax would likely have to be high to counter the glaring deterrents of a public market to a producer.

Arga wrote:

Well, simply the corp market was never intended as a mechanism to bypass the tax of the open market for sales to other corporations.

There's really no choice now but for the devs to close this loophole. The question is how will they do it.

The much better plan would be lower transaction tax and more base sell/buy slots. Really, it's not _that_ we're taxed that bothers us, it's that we're taxed so highly.

If the internal market didn't exist, we'd have begun rioting over this issue a while ago.

Then let the riots begin.

I tell you though, removal of the internal market is going to make running a capitalist industry corporation incredibly difficult, which is likely to cause NeX to go to a communistic model.

Even if there was 0 tax on the open market, I would still use the internal market for what it was intended for, which is a way to distribute equipment internally.

The cat's out now, unless this is working as intended (Any Dev response on this)

A guess another option would be to require Sell Orders in corporate market to go to the Corp wallet and be taxed at the same rate as the open markets poster. Because really the issue here isn't with other corps buying stuff internally, since the buyer doesn't pay any tax. Also it stops other producers from filling up your internal market, since any sales would go to the corp and not to their private wallets.

This stops the whole idea of a shadow market, where dozens of independant producers join your corp with alts and sell to the largest consumer without competition from outside producers or having to pay any tax.

Arga wrote:

A guess another option would be to require Sell Orders in corporate market to go to the Corp wallet and be taxed at the same rate as the open markets poster.

That right there is a good start.

Actually this thread gave me an idea. I'm probably going to list a bunch of Syntec miners for 100k on our market, have proceeds go to corp wallet and call that our nic donation button.

ME SO CWAFTY!!!

I personally adore the option to buy cheap minerals and sell expensive modules. The markup is almost ***. However, are the internal markets "intended" to be used in this way? Or is this another case of insurance-fraud?

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

IVE SAID IT B4 ILL SAY IT AGAIN! the market right now is just waiting for a few 100% industrial corps to take full advantage of it. If you have the time & miners you can & will make an absolute killing on the market.

IF you dont like how the market is... Fix it. Coz to be bluntly honest. Crying about it here wont making anything better.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue