Topic: Agent Profile causes client freeze / CPU overheating

Whenever I open the Agent Profile window, my client will freeze for 3 to 5 seconds. During this time, my CPU usage will spike to 85% on both cores of a dual-core CPU. After this initial client freeze, the process will repeat itself every 15 to 20 seconds. If I leave the Agent Profile window open, the CPU will eventually overheat, resulting in a critical system failure/reboot.

Relevant info:

- This issue presents itself both in Terminal and out on Terrain.
- This issue presents itself in all Terminals.
- I have over 2000 entries in my Relations History.
- I have over 400 entries in my Transactions History.
- This issue does not present itself on my other account, which has 0 Relations History and 25 Transactions
- Many items on several windows will randomly re-order themselves when the client is not frozen. For example, Assignment listings, Relation History entries with same timestamp,  Corporation names with same Relation value in Relations tab.

If anyone else is having a similar issue, please post here. If a Dev could look into this it would be great, because it's near impossible to do anything Agent Profile related.

Reactor......ONLINE
Sensors......ONLINE
Weapons......ONLINE
All systems nominal.

Re: Agent Profile causes client freeze / CPU overheating

I too have this issue. It has been getting worse and worse as my relations history fills up. I'm now to the point that I can not open my agent profile window without the client crashing (waiting for server response) 100% of the time.

It would be nice to be able to spend EP again some day.

I also notice that when I was looking at the relationship history or assignment listing that it re-queries every 5 secs. The problem with is that it reorders the items in the list differently every time. You end up clicking on the wrong assignments, etc. Have it query once each time you open the window or an activity occurs, not every 5 secs. Its consuming too much resources to do a 95% static page.

Good Luck

yup im getting this too, having done a fair few hundred assignments i cant open my profile in the field or have it up, i have to leave it minimised for best usage once i do get it open without crashing.

Freelance Agent/Merc Suppling All With The NIC For The Job

980X XSPC Cooling, ASUS RoG Rampage Extreme III, 12 GB Corsair Dominator DHX 2000Mhz w/Cooling Unit, 2x GTX 580 SLi, Creative Titanium Fatailty Championship w/ IO panel, 2x 128Gb SSD, 4x 1.5Tb hdd, BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P8 1200W PSU - Multi-BootOS

Im having this problem also. Also when I have the agent profile window open, any movement from the mouse makes the game stutter badly (once it actually does load). Opening any other menu windows is impossible once the agent profile window is open.

for the "leaving it open" proplem:

Recognizer wrote:

any window will refresh everytime someone new joins any chat channel that you are in.

i suggest you to leave "general chat" and "help" to reduce the refresh spam.

i recognize that as a serious problem, too.

Forum Rule #5
Pyramid quoting, quoting excessive amounts of text or quoting without any senseful reply is forbidden. Only quote that is necessary to show what your reply refers to.

Not promising a quick tsukahara fix for this, but all I can say is that we want to look into client stability and fluidity next.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

7 (edited by Zobot 2010-12-01 11:33:22)

I have the CPU overheating issue too, but for me it happens while playing,
It happens around the time I get to the "Shoot the Dummy" part in the tutorial.

I remember playing STO, they had a "Troubleshooting" section in their Option dialog boxes where you could throttle the CPU for the game if you were experiencing overheating issues. Something like this would be great here too.

EDIT:  This of course means I can't actually play the game, but would love to come back and have another go when this is fixed, so would be great to see some notes on the website or get some notification in email when this happens.

Oh yeah, and I don't have any relations or anything (referring to the first poster in this thread) I only started to play the game today and was just going through the tutorial screens.

(CPU: Intel E8400)

8 (edited by Zobot 2010-12-01 13:24:47)

I went back and checked out STO again because this was really bugging me.

Their "CPU/GPU overheating reduction option" actually says it makes the game pause or sleep for 10ms between each frame.

In addition, they have a frame rate limiter which I have set to 30fps since launch (at 30fps the game still looks very smooth).

So the combination of these two seem to allow my crappy old PC to run that game happily.

Incidentally, when I run STO, my CPU runs boiling at 96C-98C YET my PC doesn't freeze and the CPU doesn't lock up (sometimes I ran STO for hours without a break), which would indicate that the problem might not actually be an overheating issue but something else (Perpetuum locked up my PC as soon as the CPU got to 88C).

I hope some of this will make sense to the Devs.

The latest patch has made this situation much better. I'm going to hold off and say it has fixed my issue until I play a bit more.

Reactor......ONLINE
Sensors......ONLINE
Weapons......ONLINE
All systems nominal.

for me its basically fixed, only a slight 2-3 sec delay on opening it [but i still have a few hundred entries on that char]. otherwise great job

Freelance Agent/Merc Suppling All With The NIC For The Job

980X XSPC Cooling, ASUS RoG Rampage Extreme III, 12 GB Corsair Dominator DHX 2000Mhz w/Cooling Unit, 2x GTX 580 SLi, Creative Titanium Fatailty Championship w/ IO panel, 2x 128Gb SSD, 4x 1.5Tb hdd, BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P8 1200W PSU - Multi-BootOS

11 (edited by Zobot 2010-12-03 10:30:22)

The freezing still happens for me.

Logged in today to test the update and as soon as I got in, it froze. RealTemp reported the CPU temp only at 82C at the time, so I am now almost certain this is not an overheating issue, although when I reboot, sometimes the BIOS reboot message beeps at me and says "CPU Thermal Trip". This only happens for this game. As I stated above, I used to run STO for hours (with its throttling options on) and the CPU temp there was between 90-100, without any problems.

Not sure it if matters, but the Install created my EXE shortcut so that I can only run it with admin privileges. Maybe the game would be just simply crashing if it was running in User mode, i dunno.

I am also experiencing this issue which seems to be gradually getting worse, started off freezing for only a couple of seconds, now its can take anywhere between 5-30 seconds, its especially noticable while in a terminal as the background image freezes up every few seconds whilst the profile window is open.

Can we have an option to only display the last 10 assignments/transactions? Its definitely better, and I know my comp is to blame, but its still causing me 2/3 second lockups on my indi/mission runner guy.