Re: Faction Mission Ammo

I was talking about both reward levels being at 40, light/medium. ( Unless something has changed again recently, I dont know then ) I'll admit, I haven't acquired any in a while as I've been living off old stocks of faction ammo. I'll have to give it a try maybe over the next week.

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

52 (edited by Sundial 2011-09-07 18:06:04)

Arga wrote:

Once the outposts become occupied, the number of beta missions will increase and ammo 'could' become more available. Or, as another opportunity for trade, to allow Alpha mission runners to do beta missions around the outpost for a cut of the ammo reward, or at least to put that ammo up for sale in the outposts.

I'm not sure its a good idea to try to balance Med faction ammo to the current situation, which is low server population. When non-combat players run missions, the ammo is available, right now only combat troops are really using the missions on beta, and they can use that ammo.

Arga, problem is locking down the entire island just to run some missions which take long amounts of time for little reward. Hell, even Novastrov is having serious trouble even keeping Arke scouts up nowdays. No one wants to lock down an island for 4 hours to get a few clips of ammo. Even if I put buy orders up for 20K a round, no one would fill them. And that would be a huge expense for me.

Grim Faust wrote:

I was talking about both reward levels being at 40, light/medium. ( Unless something has changed again recently, I dont know then ) I'll admit, I haven't acquired any in a while as I've been living off old stocks of faction ammo. I'll have to give it a try maybe over the next week.

Yeah, its still the same.

The risk/reward is broken here and is just made even worse by the low population.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

That's my point. Right now trying to lock down the Island for any activity is difficult, and by difficult I mean not worth the effort, because of low population. Once Islands become occupied, they are just naturally going to be more secure, and locking them down specifically for any time period isn't required.

Its sort of like the Epitron lockdown. Why not invite mission runners to come at the same time and others wanting to use the island? Get more 'bang' for the lockdown buck?

I'm just not sure that increasing reward to balance an increased risk caused by low pop is the right thing to do. It is within the power of the players to decrease the risk, and while it's not worth the effort to decrease risk for a single activity, it could be worth it for multiple parallel activities.

Arga wrote:

That's my point. Right now trying to lock down the Island for any activity is difficult, and by difficult I mean not worth the effort, because of low population. Once Islands become occupied, they are just naturally going to be more secure, and locking them down specifically for any time period isn't required.

Its sort of like the Epitron lockdown. Why not invite mission runners to come at the same time and others wanting to use the island? Get more 'bang' for the lockdown buck?

I'm just not sure that increasing reward to balance an increased risk caused by low pop is the right thing to do. It is within the power of the players to decrease the risk, and while it's not worth the effort to decrease risk for a single activity, it could be worth it for multiple parallel activities.

All valid well thought out points.

The difference between mining epriton and running missions is the epriton actually makes a difference to more than a couple people. Most people simply don't think the missions for ammo on beta are worth it.

Think about it, it takes 30M - 1H depending on your methods/mission to get 40 ammo.

The rewards for the amount of time spent are terrible.

We are better off locking down an island and doing epriton mining. Even if we had agreements with mission runners to lock down the island and let them run missions, we would have to pay exorbitant sums of NIC just to get a couple thousand rounds. The rewards are simply put not worth most peoples time and so valuable and rare you cannot even buy them for NIC on the market.

There IS a market for this ammo, trust me. Its just its not worth anyone time to supply it because the ammo would probably go for 50K+ a round and no one will pay that.

Low population or not, this was designed very poorly.

As an alpha producer, I need to run missions for the Rep. The ammo and NIC rewards a secondary consideration. This is the same for all industrials.

The discconect here is that the ammo is not required, it's just slightly better, and as such desireable. If mission ammo was much easier to come by there would be little reason to use any of the other ammo types for PVP.

Missions and the reputation system are being reworked from level 1 up. It could be that faction ammo just goes away completely, and there would be little to no impact if it did. The recent revision to faction ammo also made it less powerful, first to mind for me is the volcano rounds since I'm lasery.

For balance then, making it difficult to obtain with such a small advantage, means that pvp that don't run the missions won't be pwned by those that do, but beta dwellers that get the ammo simply by doing missions they would normally just do anyway, can get a small additional benefit.

Arga wrote:

As an alpha producer, I need to run missions for the Rep. The ammo and NIC rewards a secondary consideration. This is the same for all industrials.

The discconect here is that the ammo is not required, it's just slightly better, and as such desireable. If mission ammo was much easier to come by there would be little reason to use any of the other ammo types for PVP.

Missions and the reputation system are being reworked from level 1 up. It could be that faction ammo just goes away completely, and there would be little to no impact if it did. The recent revision to faction ammo also made it less powerful, first to mind for me is the volcano rounds since I'm lasery.

For balance then, making it difficult to obtain with such a small advantage, means that pvp that don't run the missions won't be pwned by those that do, but beta dwellers that get the ammo simply by doing missions they would normally just do anyway, can get a small additional benefit.

The whole problem is they are balancing range / damage around ammo that very few people actually have or use on a regular basis, if at all.

If what you say about them reworking the entire rep / mission system is true, that is very good news indeed. What do you base this on though? I mean where have the Devs said this... thanks.

The lastest patches reworked the level 1 missions, rewards, and reputation. In the blog they say that they are going to redo the rest of the levels. They may or may not adjust faction ammo, but I believe they removed it from non-combat missions for level 1. If they do limit med ammo to combat missions only, they also could increase the amount of the reward, since they are limiting the number of players that can access those missions.

reward ammo will be removed from all missions completely (as you see, none of the missions added since june has a secondary reward)

and all what arga wrote...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear