Re: Respawning Observers

Is farming observers which are clearly bugged an exploit?
Will people be punished or are we free to farm them?

Mouse Tiger wrote:

Is farming observers which are clearly bugged an exploit?
Will people be punished or are we free to farm them?

IMO, if you kill an observer, and it respawns, kill it, no harm done. But if it keeps respawning over and over dozens of times seemingly never ending, that is way out of hand.

A lot of people voicing concern over this have tech trees, it's not that bad, i've only seen 3-5 observers spawn and this is a great way for people to help complete a tech item in a tech line.

Good stuff for newer player groups.

If it is a bug then adjust it thanks.

Styxdic rule of thumb:

If you want something changed, make it seem way worse then it really is.

What was the point of the 50% reduction in kernal drop rate nerfs anyway? Even with observers on a normal spawn rate, they make getting research really easy, so much that nobody bothers to farm high tier npcs.

Purg:

How many people have the time to sit at a spawn though and keep going at it. And the resources, even if it's happening, you need a good group to do so. It' not like one guy can solo 5.

You realize of course how they are going to correct this issue?

50% Kernel drop rate for observers.

Thanks for all the qq.

Arga wrote:

Thanks for all the qq.

*sips wine while petting black cat* And as such, the CIR masterplan of not having constant observer spawns everywhere, will come to fruition.

MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHA

roll

Srsly guys.

Did I forget to add my sarcasm quotation marks to my post?

"But I do now see the evil genious of the plan."

Arga wrote:

Thanks for all the qq.

you really think it will be that high?

IMHO 25% like a player drop would be the correct rate.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

36 (edited by Purgatory 2011-08-08 23:42:34)

Observers almost killed npcing. Then they added the 50% kernal drop rate nerf, and finally finished off npcing. RIP high end npcing.

There's nothing wrong with observers themselves.

What is wrong is being able to chain-kill 5-10-20-X observers because of a bug that causes them to instantly respawn after death.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Error wrote:
Syndic wrote:
Purgatory wrote:

I don't know what observers you're talking about, the ones i've seen are like this. They either die and don't respawn, or they die and respawn once, or sometimes, they will die and respawn an extra time. I had a superior observer spawn 50m from me, on my head.

I'm talking about bugged observers that you continually kill for 20+ times with instant-respawns after death. hmm Broken mechanic is broken, but to be honest this feels intended to satisfy the ADD crowd that can't be arsed to grind kernels. Bugs of this magnitude are usually fixed instantly, we're on day 6 after it's been reported.

At least some of us will have plenty of observer-kernels to insta-aquire whatever new modules are added in the game. lol

Dude what are you smoking? Either you're talking bullshit or you (and your corp) is the only one using/knowing of this exploit(?). I've hunted Observers since i started playing ... and it happened only 2 times that another GO spawned the moment i killed one. One more ... not 5, not 20! Hardly a broken mechanic. Have a look at the prices for GO kernels ... higher than ever before. Obviously the market isn't flooded with them.
Do i have to remind you that it was easier to farm them in past? Hint: fixed spawning and artifact scanning mechanisms in terms of observers.

Oh CIR has its research already completed ?? Of course AC should take observers out of game now. CIR = happy = all happy? No.

Afraid of large gangs coming for you in T4 fitted Mechs soon?

Oh man, sorry to say the obs spawns really are going crazy atm, forgot to tell you the other night when you were getting disconnects heh
Me and wey got 4x GO's on the way back from our farming run, they spawned just one after the other, handily enough right in magnedart range big_smile

Doesn't happen with all of them, but sometimes you get a GO that spawns 4-5 times or a SO that respawns straight away. I likes it tongue

syndic mad that other corps catching up at rapid pace

40 (edited by Norrdec 2011-08-09 08:52:25)

Oh we so mad, you can't even begin to fathom how much!

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

When its done by exploiting bugs or bugs intentionally being created to allow it, yup I'm mad. People have been grinding for their tech the legit way since release, through the 50% kernel nerf and all.

No reason unique snowflakes can't do the same. smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Sounds funny. You think thats an exploit but you keep to kill and collect them? "Oh stop me plox I'm doing something wrong!" big_smile

But I'm agreed. Such things like rapidly respawning observers dropping tastiest kernalz shouldn't exist.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

We are permanent and established residents of Novastrov.    Killing off observers and marauding caravans is a necessity to continue operations and for the security of members.

other users could also argue the same which is most probably why the devs have not yet declared it an exploit.

Our tech tree's are virtually complete from nearly 8 months of solid and honest work, having all that work reduced to meaning nothing is very depressing and de-motivating.

its a soft exploit and I encourage everybody not to abuse it. Ofc nobody will listen to me but hey, at least I tried smile

I will certainly not use this to finish off my tech tree, got this far because many players put in months of hard work into it, will not jeopardize this.

Industrial Junkie

I think treating this as a punishable exploit or criticising others for doing so is pointless, and a bad way of handling exploits of this nature.

It creates far too much work for the devs to police, and it's not an exploit you have to go out of your way to create and abuse. All you do is kill an observer...which then respawns.

I couldn't be bothered with farming them myself, but I don't see why anyone shouldn't.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

I see a few problems with punishing people for this in most circumstances.

You're hunting observers, you find a spawn and kill them, they both respawn, you can't get the loot, you kill them again, they might respawn again, in which case if you want the loot you need to kill them again, by now from what i've seen they usually won't respawn again. Nobody should be punished for doing this.

If the same observer is respawning dozens of times and you kill it over and over for hours on end, well this is quite the exploit, especially if you end up with like 30+ kernals from killing the same bugged npc over and over. The thing is even if you don't kill it and just leave it, chances are someone else will come along and kill it anyway and have the same thing happen with them. I'll note that i've not seen one of these infinitely respawning observers, i've only heard people talk about them.

Code of Conduct wrote:

5. The game - like any software - may contain errors and bugs. Correcting these issues and further developing the game is the most important duty of Avatar Creation.

* It is strictly forbidden to use any errors or bugs in the game system to gain any kind of advantage in or out of the game.
*Problems, bugs or exploits must be reported at once on the forums appointed for this end on the website.

End User License Agreement wrote:

In order to make sure that the player community isn't disturbed by the actions of a few, AC forbids the following activities to the players:

*It is forbidden to use any trick, hack, or exploit that allows the player to gain ingame currency, or anything that an ingame monetary value can be assigned to, or any kind of unfair advantage over the players.

If I read that right, and I am aware its at AC's discretion and interpretation of those two documents that matters, but before people who have not done this go and do it. Lets look at what is happening.

I am Syndic... (bad taste in my mouth after saying that but its only for a moment... However he admits to maxing his corporations tech trees so hes my guinea pig.)

I have a not so complete tech tree on all my builders. I can build some T4 and some not.  I am competeing with the rest of Nia for kernels to further advance my tree.(NOTE: I said some not all. Don't argue well I already had them maxed. If you do kudos.)

Trolling along one day with my giant blob we find that observers instantly re-spawn and start farming it for kernels.

Several hundred later, I have used them to max my tree or sold them for several million nic a piece and bought the ones I needed. I am now at a significant advantage as now several accounts can build shiny T4 stuff by prototyping them.

I now report it on the forums as a bug(in the wrong section...) hoping it will get noticed and fixed before the rest of Nia can max their tech trees.

End being syndic...

Where do I get this all from... I was on your teamspeak3 server when you realized that it is a farm-able bug/exploit/glitch/trick call it what you want. The time of which I first heard it on there and the time of which it got reported are hours apart...

Just so you cant say no I was not... Yes I am from Germany, no you cant ask me who I am. 255 logins though... that should tell you I have been there for a loooong time.
http://www.lukewalsh.net/images/Capture.PNG

I ask that players join me in wanting anyone who used this mechanic to gain an advantage over those of us who did months worth of work on tech trees to be dealt with. The advantage presented was unfair and apparently AC knows it was an issue as it got fixed on today's patch.

Puffalmp wrote:

I am Syndic... (bad taste in my mouth after saying that but its only for a moment... However he admits to maxing his corporations tech trees so hes my guinea pig.)

I have a not so complete tech tree on all my builders. I can build some T4 and some not.  I am competeing with the rest of Nia for kernels to further advance my tree.(NOTE: I said some not all. Don't argue well I already had them maxed. If you do kudos.)

Trolling along one day with my giant blob we find that observers instantly re-spawn and start farming it for kernels.

Several hundred later, I have used them to max my tree or sold them for several million nic a piece and bought the ones I needed. I am now at a significant advantage as now several accounts can build shiny T4 stuff by prototyping them.

I now report it on the forums as a bug(in the wrong section...) hoping it will get noticed and fixed before the rest of Nia can max their tech trees.

End being syndic...

He was just testing the bug, that it works as intended, before reporting it.

49 (edited by Predator Nova 2011-08-09 14:22:22)

Puffalmp wrote:

If I read that right, and I am aware its at AC's discretion and interpretation of those two documents that matters, but before people who have not done this go and do it. Lets look at what is happening.

End being syndic...

Where do I get this all from... I was on your teamspeak3 server when you realized that it is a farm-able bug/exploit/glitch/trick call it what you want. The time of which I first heard it on there and the time of which it got reported are hours apart...

Just so you cant say no I was not... Yes I am from Germany, no you cant ask me who I am. 255 logins though... that should tell you I have been there for a loooong time.
http://www.lukewalsh.net/images/Capture.PNG

I ask that players join me in wanting anyone who used this mechanic to gain an advantage over those of us who did months worth of work on tech trees to be dealt with. The advantage presented was unfair and apparently AC knows it was an issue as it got fixed on today's patch.

LOL you stupid noob. Out of all the people you could have picked you had to pick me. Nice try lol lol lol

And that was taken today as Skarold changed his name to that earlier today. So yeah. Story does not check out.

0/10

This is my blob. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

50 (edited by Puffalmp 2011-08-09 14:30:09)

I never said the picture was from when it was said. Simply proof I have access.

EDIT: you did find me. Ill re roll him as a new name and in a few weeks reinsert him. In the mean time, lets do another alt that's a few weeks old. Its a never ending cycle thanks to AC.